Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirigo39

I've Tried Tca Method But Don't See Results. Help!

Hey guys. I've pretty much eliminated my cystic acne through the antibiotic doxy. But the scars left behind are horendous. Over 20 ice pick scars on feachcheeks which is where most of the cystics happened. Any kind of creams can't help because they can't penetrate deep enough into the tissue. I read about the tca and it sounded really promising. I tried it out using a 100% version brought on ebay--and for first few days after it shed, it looked promising but when the skin fully healed i still saw the same scars.

A week later i got impatient and did the tca cross again and still no results. Then i tried using retin a to prep my skin as some people advised.

A month later I tried it again and still didn't see much results, only slightly.

Two weeks later i got really impatient and instead of using a toothpick, i just used a cotton swab and slather the acid on both cheeks. It frosted and healed in a week still with not much results.

So at this point I came to a few possible conclusions

1) Maybe surgery like subcision is my only option

2) Maybe I didn't do the tca correctly because i still see a hole in the middle of my scar while the surrounding area frosted when i pressed a toothpick. Maybe I should use a smaller toothpick?

3) The tca i brought is fake or diluted, although my skin did frost just like it was suppose to...i got it off ebay from a seller with good reviews

Below are a couple of pics of my scars and it's taken from my phone so its bad quality but you get the idea the depth and number of scars.

Please help me guys with any advice...especially from people with experience.

post-165559-0-22542800-1326256792_thumb.

post-165559-0-34552300-1326256805_thumb.

post-165559-0-22542800-1326256792_thumb.

post-165559-0-34552300-1326256805_thumb.

Edited by dirigo39

I haven't posted in a while, but I wanted to tell you that you can NOT SEE RESULTS IN ONE WEEK WITH TCA CROSS. Collagen remodeling normally takes months, and my scars post TCA cross typically look WORSE before they look better. You should have waited at least 3-4 weeks before assessing the results of your scars, and crossing twice within a certain amount of time can make scars worse. It also takes SEVERAL cross treatments spanning a few months before you see long term results, this is no miraculous quick fix. I know how frustrating it can be to have scars and that you want them healed as quickly as possible, but overdoing it will only hurt your progress in the long run. Be gentle with your skin and be sure to wear plenty of sunscreen, eat healthy and juice if you can, and give your scars a chance to heal from this cross treatment.

Do you scars flatten when you stretch them? If not the subcision could help. I recently did a low 12.5% TCA peel from MUAC and while it frosted and may have freshened the area it doesn't look too different a week later. I just wanted to start with a low percentage to see how I reacted. What percentage did you use? I have a feeling you used a low percentage as your face does not look to red. I wouldn't call all of your scars icepicks, some look wider and TCA cross may not work well. Cross involves a high percentage of TCA. I would not do a high TCA peel at home, just too risky.

I would talk to a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon before going any further with home treatments. At the very least, if you insist on using home remedies, they will give you advice on how to handle it.

I would talk to a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon before going any further with home treatments. At the very least, if you insist on using home remedies, they will give you advice on how to handle it.

rofl, i doubt a surgeon would instruct me on how to avoid using their services. And getting consultation would cost money. I need to hear from people with my kind of scar to tell me the only way is subcision. btw can anyone tell me how to research plastic surgeons? googling "subcision surgeon" in my state didn't really help any.

Do you scars flatten when you stretch them? If not the subcision could help. I recently did a low 12.5% TCA peel from MUAC and while it frosted and may have freshened the area it doesn't look too different a week later. I just wanted to start with a low percentage to see how I reacted. What percentage did you use? I have a feeling you used a low percentage as your face does not look to red. I wouldn't call all of your scars icepicks, some look wider and TCA cross may not work well. Cross involves a high percentage of TCA. I would not do a high TCA peel at home, just too risky.

Yes they do flatten when i stretch them! I was thinking to myself "if only i could permanelty stretch my skin." oh i forgot to mention the percent tca i used was 100% Those pics were not taken right after the peel. They are after the peel though. And i frosted and got scabs just like i was suppose to.

rofl, i doubt a surgeon would instruct me on how to avoid using their services. And getting consultation would cost money. I need to hear from people with my kind of scar to tell me the only way is subcision. btw can anyone tell me how to research plastic surgeons? googling "subcision surgeon" in my state didn't really help any.

Actually a plastic surgeon probably would push their services, but many dermatologists or dermatological surgeons give free consultations and will tell you whether or not your should use their service. A dermatologist would also be more qualified to comment on using TCA Cross as a home remedy, and this is something they will explain to you during a consult. The honest ones will also tell you when the services they offer will not work for you.

I really, really doubt subcision is your only option. I was not one of the people that suggested that. In fact, none of us should really be suggesting anything, we're not qualified to evaluate your condition. Even when you go to a single dermatologist or plastic surgeon, they're all going to have different opinions, especially between dermatologists and plastic surgeons.

As for your questions about subcisions, they're generally performed by a dermatological surgeon or plastic surgeon. You can look on realself.com for doctors that are qualified to perform that procedure in your area, and make sure to check if they are board-certified and how long they have been practicing. Unlike laser, subcision is a fairly old method, so in this case it's actually better to have a doctor who'se been in the business for a while and done a few thousand of these.

Lastly, if you still insist on getting an opinion without going to actually see a doctor in-person, you might as well get answers from a doctor online. Realself.com allows you to post questions that real board-certified doctors answer. Dr. Garcia from Las Vegas, a board-certified plastic surgeon, also runs a website where he answers questions people post, usually within a day or less.

Edited by DRaGZ

I went to a cosmetic dermatologists, one that does subcision and punch grafts, etc on a regular basis and he said my scars were not right for subcision. He could have taken my money for it, but he was honest and said they are not bound down enough and it might temporarily be better from swelling, but it wouldn't permanently work. He wanted to sell me fraxel restore. I think some of your small diameter scars might work with punch grafts or punch elevation. Otherwise I am sure the doctor would offer you laser as well. Perhaps some would do dermabrasion. Now, there are a select few who will do permanent fillers like artefill. I had one round done and may get more. The good think with this filler is there is hardly any down time, not even as much swelling as restylane or perlane. However, you could have a bad reaction, but the new formulation of artefill is supposed to be safer. But it's all a gamble. Silicone microdroplet might also work for you, Dr. Lam in Texas would be a good one to go to for that. Sorry TCA didn't work for you, 100% is strong stuff, amazed you endured that at home, perhaps it really was diluted.

UPDATE: I'm the OP.

Well I did tca cross method again 2 weeks ago and this is the slowest healing i've seen. I'm still reddish/brownish from the whole thing. And while doing it some of acid dripped onto normal skin and left a scar there. I actually see a depression in skin from the acid which is shocking because i didn't think it coud penetrate that far. Well i'm massaging it with polysporin everyday hoping it heals soon.

Before i shell out money i don't have to go to a plastic surgeon in another city I want to try the DERMAROLLER.

I tried skimming through that thread but it's really confusing. What's this talk about green cream and what not? Apparently people are applying a retinol AFTER dermarolling their skin? Hm interesting i have a 1% retin a cream. Whats the most reliable place to get a dermaroller. What size should i use for my scars?

thanks

Well I did tca cross method again 2 weeks ago and this is the slowest healing i've seen. I'm still reddish/brownish from the whole thing. And while doing it some of acid dripped onto normal skin and left a scar there. I actually see a depression in skin from the acid which is shocking because i didn't think it coud penetrate that far. Well i'm massaging it with polysporin everyday hoping it heals soon.

Before i shell out money i don't have to go to a plastic surgeon in another city I want to try the DERMAROLLER.

I tried skimming through that thread but it's really confusing. What's this talk about green cream and what not? Apparently people are applying a retinol AFTER dermarolling their skin? Hm interesting i have a 1% retin a cream. Whats the most reliable place to get a dermaroller. What size should i use for my scars?

thanks

Seriously, go get a FREE consultation from a dermatologist in your area. At the very worst, you'll have lost some gas money. At the very best, you'll have gotten some advice on how to treat your scars from a professional for free. Just discuss with them what you want to achieve and how you want to do it and they'll explain.

OP: You need to educate yourself fully on a procedure before you dive into. Your going to ruin your skin if you don't know what your doing.

Google micro-needling and Dr. Des Ferdandes (he invented derm rolling) and read up on all the prep requirements, what type of things to do post rolling and how to roll, how often etc if you are going to do it.

thanks

Seriously, go get a FREE consultation from a dermatologist in your area. At the very worst, you'll have lost some gas money. At the very best, you'll have gotten some advice on how to treat your scars from a professional for free. Just discuss with them what you want to achieve and how you want to do it and they'll explain.

Alright alright I will go to a dermatologist and get a final professional advice. But first i have to wait for these tca treatment to heal so i don't have to explain to the derm why they're there XD

And YES people be careful...because the i have a 1 inch bruise from accidently dripping tca on normal skin. Even though its the same tca i put on my scars it's healing much more slowly. Sigh.

I'm still gonna do do dermarolling...

OP: You need to educate yourself fully on a procedure before you dive into. Your going to ruin your skin if you don't know what your doing.

Google micro-needling and Dr. Des Ferdandes (he invented derm rolling) and read up on all the prep requirements, what type of things to do post rolling and how to roll, how often etc if you are going to do it.

Yeah at this point i have a nihilist view of my skin so it can't get much worst than this. Anybody know where I can get free anti depressants?