Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everone, I'm Amber, 21 yeard old. I'm new to message boards, but I've been following this thread for 6 months. I haven't tried oral medications ( accutane, birth control pills, spiro or antibiotics) and never been to dermotologist. I chose to fix my acne naturally. First I got on youtube and found Tracy, from the Love Vitamin, then discoevered this site. I've been reading reviews about diets and certain eliminations during these 6 months and finally committed my own changes in diet. I also downloaded Fran's mini course of acne treatment. According to these message boards and other acne diets that I've read I should avoid the most common triggers of acne. So I did it, but I haven't seen drastic changes. I've read in some article that every holistic eating plan takes at least 3 months to show some results, so I gave it 4 months, and nothing so far. I eat tons of veggies and fruits ( I mean it) and drink 9-10 glasses of water. Green tea 4-5 times a week. I've also tried Fran's acne fighting foods, but nothing happened. I eat only fish, chicken and turkey. I don't eat red meats.

Here is the list of my eliminations:

1. Wheat, gluten ( no breads, pizzas, cakes, pancakes, donuts, pasta, white flour, breakast cereals and etc.) Not even gluten free stuff

2. Dairy ( no cheese, milk, sour cream, yogurt)

3. Eggs

4. Alcohol

5. COffee

6. White refined sugar

7. Soda or soft drinks

8. Spicy foods

9. Some fruits high in fructose ( grapes, strawberries, watermelon,bananas, pinapple) also oranges

10. Starchy foods ( I have only baked sweet potato)

11. I don't smoke and never have

12. I never eating out ( socially awkward), I cook my own meals

13. salted nuts or salt itself

14. Only extra virgin olive oil for my salads

These 4 months have been miserable to me. It's not like I miss crap foods or drinks, I just feel socially isolated because of these eliminations. I've argued with my bf plenty of times over this ridiculous thing. My friends don't even ask me out anymore, becasue they know I'll refuse having even ice cream with them. But the most devastating part of this is that I haven't cleared my acne yet. I'm still getting PMT breakouts and whiteheads. My face is still red, inflammed and covered with nasty pimples. I haven't noticed even a small reduction of breakouts. First month was kind of bearable,I thought I finally got my cure, but then pimples came back again. I stick to this diet, I love eating healthy, but I want to see results already. What am I doing wrong?

I thought maybe it's because my skin routine might clog my pores, so I reread the posts on this site again. Here is my skin routine( because I've never been to dermotologist, I can't get BP creams or washes) so I used PanOxyl washe( that contains 4% BP in it). It doesn't dry out my skin, in fact it helps somehow.

Morning: Washing my face with PanOxyl 4% BP wash

Evening: The same

I don't moisturize my skin, because it's already very oily. I tried baking soda, but it made my skin red and flakey. I don't wear foundation either.

I'm hopeless now and want to go to dermotologist or naturapath. I haven't done allergy testing before, but shouldn't my skin has gotten better by those eliminations? Even if I had some sort of food allergies or sensitivities. I've read also about liver flushing, colonic irrigation procedures. I'm never constipated, I have no problems with dygestion. I'm just happened to have horrible skin ( I'm predisposed to acne, because both of my parents had severe acne in their teens).

Sorry for this long rant, but I really need some advice, what am I doing wrong? What should I add to my regimen. Who should I turn to for additional support? Please help!!!

Edited by Amber07

Just because your skin is oily doesn't mean you don't need to moisturize. And you don't need a prescription to get bp cream. If I were you, I would switch to a gentle cleanser and use a topical medication that stays on. And moisturize! Even if your skin is naturally oily, acne medications can dry the crap out of the surface of your skin. Drying the crap out of skin will kill skin cells that will bind with sebum and then you're back at square one.

I've also heard that stress causes acne. I've been stressed the past 2 years, maybe that's the reason? Maybe my body releases emotional toxins thru my skin? But eating low GL diet should've cleared me up alerady, I don't know why do my pimples appear every month on my cheeks.

Try some herbs/teas that are anti-androgens such as fennel, nettle, dandelion leaf & root, green tea. These can potentially help with acne, in my experience they have helped me. Since these diet changes haven't given you the results you're expecting, maybe your acne has a lot to do with hormones. I've been on an elimination diet basically the same as yours since September and have had great results. I notice that you're not avoiding nuts.. Some nuts can be good for you in moderation, such as almonds and macadamias, but some cause people to break out. I found that peanuts cause me cystic acne breakouts. I've only gotten maybe a few cysts since I stopped consuming peanuts, and I'm pretty sure these were from a citrus binge I went on. As well, are you consuming soy? Soy can be a huge acne trigger. Nightshade vegetables such as peppers can be problematic for some, although they don't seem to give me trouble.

Supplements have helped me as well though. I take a vegegreens vegan protein supplement (lots of land and sea super fruits & veggies) almost daily. I also take spirulina and chlorella. I used to take about 15+grams spirulina a day and 7+ of chlorella but now I only have 3-5 grams of each per day.

You could try manuka honey masks, or tea soaks. My entire regimen is based on these products, you could try adding them here and there and see how it helps you out. I use manuka in the am+pm as a mask/cleanser, and chamomile lavender tea as a toner both (I brew some to drink, and some in a little bowl which I pat onto my face with a cotton pad). At night I add tea tree & vitamin e oil to the chamomile lavender tea for extra acne fighting benefits. Both the manuka and the tea have helped a lot with my scarring and red marks, as well as my active spots. They could both be good for your redness, and might help out with your skin.

If you are breaking out every month, maybe this has something to do with your menstrual cycle. You should document your breakouts in relation to your cycle and see what the correlation is.

Stress, hormones, diet, genetics. It all counts. Try drinking matcha green tea and maybe get into a restorative yoga class for the stress.

Try some herbs/teas that are anti-androgens such as fennel, nettle, dandelion leaf & root, green tea. These can potentially help with acne, in my experience they have helped me. Since these diet changes haven't given you the results you're expecting, maybe your acne has a lot to do with hormones. I've been on an elimination diet basically the same as yours since September and have had great results. I notice that you're not avoiding nuts.. Some nuts can be good for you in moderation, such as almonds and macadamias, but some cause people to break out. I found that peanuts cause me cystic acne breakouts. I've only gotten maybe a few cysts since I stopped consuming peanuts, and I'm pretty sure these were from a citrus binge I went on. As well, are you consuming soy? Soy can be a huge acne trigger. Nightshade vegetables such as peppers can be problematic for some, although they don't seem to give me trouble.

Supplements have helped me as well though. I take a vegegreens vegan protein supplement (lots of land and sea super fruits & veggies) almost daily. I also take spirulina and chlorella. I used to take about 15+grams spirulina a day and 7+ of chlorella but now I only have 3-5 grams of each per day.

You could try manuka honey masks, or tea soaks. My entire regimen is based on these products, you could try adding them here and there and see how it helps you out. I use manuka in the am+pm as a mask/cleanser, and chamomile lavender tea as a toner both (I brew some to drink, and some in a little bowl which I pat onto my face with a cotton pad). At night I add tea tree & vitamin e oil to the chamomile lavender tea for extra acne fighting benefits. Both the manuka and the tea have helped a lot with my scarring and red marks, as well as my active spots. They could both be good for your redness, and might help out with your skin.

If you are breaking out every month, maybe this has something to do with your menstrual cycle. You should document your breakouts in relation to your cycle and see what the correlation is.

Yes, I avoid soy products too. Not even soymilk. I drink green tea couple of times in week. I feel great, but it doesn't help with pimples. I've been recommended to take Primerose oil for my hormonal breakouts, but I hesitate. I want to clear up thru diet and healthy lifestyle. I have to admit that eating good helped my insomnia and overall well being. But for some odd reason it doesn't affect my acne. It reduced cysts ( especially when I cut out gluten, dairy and sugar), then when I had my period, my monthly monsters came back. I don't know how to cure this chronic and pesky disease.

It sounds like your acne is hormonal to me since it's not responding to diet changes. Try the anti-androgens for a while. I don't know enough about these though, so look them up in the nutrition/holistics forum. You might need to search for a hormonal treatment like saw palmetto or BCP or something similar. I take a low dose BCP, I need it for cycle irregularity. It helped my acne a bit when I was younger but then stopped helping. Now it's just kinda something I have to take (otherwise my time of the month could be anytime). Chlorella might be beneficial to you, it can help mediate hormone levels. Also green tea only a couple times a week probably won't help you out much.. I drink at least a couple cups every single day, along with lots of other herbal teas.

Edited by jennifer36

Just wondering, but what are the quality of your foods? If you're eating regular fruits and veggies from the grocery store, you could be consuming tons of pesticides and GMOs. Conventionally raised meat is full of horrible things as well, and the animals are treated terribly.

On top of that, it also sounds like you're really stressing yourself out too. Diet can help with that, but ultiamtely, it's up to you to learn to accept and let go. It relieves a lot of stress. I recommend trying meditation with brainwave entrainment (basically an audio track used with meditation that aids in relaxation). Like any other holistic method, the benefits are cumulative.

Yes, my acne is definitely hormonal, but shouldn't low GL foods help with fluctuating hormones?

Just wondering, but what are the quality of your foods? If you're eating regular fruits and veggies from the grocery store, you could be consuming tons of pesticides and GMOs. Conventionally raised meat is full of horrible things as well, and the animals are treated terribly.

On top of that, it also sounds like you're really stressing yourself out too. Diet can help with that, but ultiamtely, it's up to you to learn to accept and let go. It relieves a lot of stress. I recommend trying meditation with brainwave entrainment (basically an audio track used with meditation that aids in relaxation). Like any other holistic method, the benefits are cumulative.

Well, my food isn't organic 100% of the time, because I live with my bf and we can't afford eating only organic. But I do get fruits and veggies from Whole Food Store every now and again.

Btw, my bf had mild breakouts on his forehead and since I started cooking healthy foods his acne cleared up. It's not fair. I'm still breaking out while his skin is flawless. And even tho MY diet cleared HIS acne, he's still sceptical about holistic methods of curing acne and argues with me every single day...ugh....

Edited by Amber07

Yes, my acne is definitely hormonal, but shouldn't low GL foods help with fluctuating hormones?

They should, but what I'm trying to say is maybe they're not helping enough. The root cause of acne often isn't simple, like just diet, or just topical, or just hormone related. I see acne more like a puzzle. Diet alone isn't the answer for me. Diet, lots of sleep, a healthy lifestyle and a chemical free routine is what's getting me closer to clear skin.

Edited by jennifer36

That's a very good point! That's why I opt for homegrown whenever possible. (I'd like to get a couple little chickens too but our HOA won't let us.) You have to be so careful about what you choose. Like "free range" doesn't always mean free range. Sometimes it just means stack horizontally rather than vertically.

Hi everone, I'm Amber, 21 yeard old. I'm new to message boards, but I've been following this thread for 6 months. I haven't tried oral medications ( accutane, birth control pills, spiro or antibiotics) and never been to dermotologist. I chose to fix my acne naturally. First I got on youtube and found Tracy, from the Love Vitamin, then discoevered this site. I've been reading reviews about diets and certain eliminations during these 6 months and finally committed my own changes in diet. I also downloaded Fran's mini course of acne treatment. According to these message boards and other acne diets that I've read I should avoid the most common triggers of acne. So I did it, but I haven't seen drastic changes. I've read in some article that every holistic eating plan takes at least 3 months to show some results, so I gave it 4 months, and nothing so far. I eat tons of veggies and fruits ( I mean it) and drink 9-10 glasses of water. Green tea 4-5 times a week. I've also tried Fran's acne fighting foods, but nothing happened. I eat only fish, chicken and turkey. I don't eat red meats.

1. Wheat, gluten ( no breads, pizzas, cakes, pancakes, donuts, pasta, white flour, breakast cereals and etc.) Not even gluten free stuff

3. Eggs

4. Alcohol

5. COffee

6. White refined sugar

7. Soda or soft drinks

8. Spicy foods

9. Some fruits high in fructose ( grapes, strawberries, watermelon,bananas, pinapple) also oranges

These 4 months have been miserable to me. It's not like I miss crap foods or drinks, I just feel socially isolated because of these eliminations. I've argued with my bf plenty of times over this ridiculous thing. My friends don't even ask me out anymore, becasue they know I'll refuse having even ice cream with them. But the most devastating part of this is that I haven't cleared my acne yet. I'm still getting PMT breakouts and whiteheads. My face is still red, inflammed and covered with nasty pimples. I haven't noticed even a small reduction of breakouts. First month was kind of bearable,I thought I finally got my cure, but then pimples came back again. I stick to this diet, I love eating healthy, but I want to see results already. What am I doing wrong?

I thought maybe it's because my skin routine might clog my pores, so I reread the posts on this site again. Here is my skin routine( because I've never been to dermotologist, I can't get BP creams or washes) so I used PanOxyl washe( that contains 4% BP in it). It doesn't dry out my skin, in fact it helps somehow.

I don't moisturize my skin, because it's already very oily. I tried baking soda, but it made my skin red and flakey. I don't wear foundation either.

I'm hopeless now and want to go to dermotologist or naturapath. I haven't done allergy testing before, but shouldn't my skin has gotten better by those eliminations? Even if I had some sort of food allergies or sensitivities. I've read also about liver flushing, colonic irrigation procedures. I'm never constipated, I have no problems with dygestion. I'm just happened to have horrible skin ( I'm predisposed to acne, because both of my parents had severe acne in their teens).

Sorry for this long rant, but I really need some advice, what am I doing wrong? What should I add to my regimen. Who should I turn to for additional support? Please help!!!

Wow! This diet is really strict. I am sceptical about diet and acne too, but I never eat junk food either,lol. I cleared up my acne with Spiro, but I know that It's just a short fix, so I try to eat as healthy as possible.

All I can say is hormones are hard to control even with diet. And your PMT breakouts are obviously hormonal ( just like mine). Stick to that diet, but you'll probably keep losing weight ( like me). Don't be too strict tho, you can treat yourself sometimes. Your diets seems too sad to me, plus it doesn't even work.

In my opinion something your body might not have a good absortion of the nutrients. Have you done a full exam of it? blood test, parasites, etc. You should do a food allergy too, I hope you are in the conditions to afford it. Definitly something is wrong, remember that every body is different, me for example, break out with natural fats such as avocado and coconut, that might be because i dont have a gallbladder i dont know. I agree with livelaughfart, try wai diet for 2 weeks, if it doesnt work cut off fruits completly and see what happens?

have you tried zinc, fish oil and probiotics?

In my opinion something your body might not have a good absortion of the nutrients. Have you done a full exam of it? blood test, parasites, etc. You should do a food allergy too, I hope you are in the conditions to afford it. Definitly something is wrong, remember that every body is different, me for example, break out with natural fats such as avocado and coconut, that might be because i dont have a gallbladder i dont know. I agree with livelaughfart, try wai diet for 2 weeks, if it doesnt work cut off fruits completly and see what happens?

have you tried zinc, fish oil and probiotics?

I've already eliminated many food groups from my diet. During these 4 months my pimples didn't clear up. Like I said befre now I can't afford food allergy testing ( oreven visiting dermotologist), but I don't eat anything that can cause breakouts. My hormones are out of wack, that's why I'm still breaking out.

I haven't tried zinc, fish oil or probiotics. Nor any supplements or oral meds.

Well, my food isn't organic 100% of the time, because I live with my bf and we can't afford eating only organic. But I do get fruits and veggies from Whole Food Store every now and again.

Btw, my bf had mild breakouts on his forehead and since I started cooking healthy foods his acne cleared up. It's not fair. I'm still breaking out while his skin is flawless. And even tho MY diet cleared HIS acne, he's still sceptical about holistic methods of curing acne and argues with me every single day...ugh....

I think it might be the stress quite honestly, if you're getting into fights about eating healthy food haha. I'm betting you've already told him that the food you've been eating has cleared him up, no? I don't know why he would keep arguing with that if it has.

If you're not supplementing, are you sure you're getting adequate nutrition? What you put back into your body and how much you put back is just as important as cutting out whatever might be triggering acne as well. How many calories are you getting each day? Are you eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables?

That's a very good point! That's why I opt for homegrown whenever possible. (I'd like to get a couple little chickens too but our HOA won't let us.) You have to be so careful about what you choose. Like "free range" doesn't always mean free range. Sometimes it just means stack horizontally rather than vertically.

Yeah, I learned that recently, unfortunately. I wish it could be as easy as seeing 'this food is not crap' on the label, but even conventionally grown products have labels like 'all natural' on them which are vague and deceptive. Oh, food industry...

I get 1,200 calories a day, or less. But It's good to me actually, becuase I wanted to lose some weight anyways. This whole process is very overwhelming. If only I had some positive results, I'd be motivated and relaxed.

Firstly:

Good for you. Seriously. You read lots of information from various sources and integrated it within your life before even posting here and I think that's awesome. Everyone deserves to be clear from acne but some choose to be lost about it while others read, read, read! I used to lose hope and yeah, sometimes it feels good to be mothered about challenges in your life. There's a point where you need to do research on your own to spark the cognitive journey it takes to grasp this whole body+mind+food connection (and once you do, once you start watching videos of people who have cured themselves of second-stage regressive multiple-sclerosis, it's hardly about acne anymore. But for us it is!).

And you've done it.

Lots of people are giving you advice so I guess I will too because I, like they, know what it's like to feel where you're at.

So I remember having all this information in front of me, not knowing how to even begin to sort it ("Do I take all these supplements together...?"), thinking I had the hang of it, then I'd have a break out and would have to re evaluate what I was doing. To some degree this still happens, it's just emotionally far more manageable. And it's not like you can give up at that point, you're too immersed in everything you could be doing and you want to do it all. Here are some roadblocks I faced when rearranging my diet/plate:

What you know you're supposed to give up, you instead 'limit'. Or substitute.

-Like sugar. Good god. So much time using coconut flour/stevia/honey to make little treats and the like. Dark chocolate bars. 4 sliced apples cooked in butter+spices (still guilty) for breakfast. A huge part of having acne that goes unnoticed, I think, for most people, is insulin resistance (cinnamon, buckwheat which is gluten-free, chromium, and exercise are all good for this). One small organic apple has 16 grams of sugar in it, I read on a package recently. Sure, it's no can of soda or cookies from a vending machine but that's a lot for a teensy (healthy) apple. No wonder a cup of organic cold press apple juice was enough to give me a headache! This is worth paying attention to and kind of ties into my next point, which is...

-Pay attention to how your body feels after certain foods. Stomach aches, headaches, lower gastrointestinal pains, itchy feelings, irritability, etc. are all examples of how you're not supposed to feel after a meal. For most of my life I kind of just associated scrambled eggs with a kind of lethargic dull stomach feeling (and every time I'd think "wow this really is what most people eat to get their day going? well alright"). And most breakfast foods, for that matter. I didn't like how french toast/pancakes/donuts sat with me after consuming them but chose to ignore that feeling if they were available because they taste good. Dark chocolate was something I gave up about a week ago because even up until recently I've been willing to ignore the headache I get after having some. So I'd try more to see if I still got the headache. Still more yet, just to be sure. Okay. I know I get a headache now, time to stop...

-If you ever get a food allergy test, actually pay attention to its results. This should go without saying but when I had some muscle testing done to test for food allergies, I was unsatisfied with the results (they hadn't tested for every food their website advertised), the method (synthesized versions of food going through an armband making me unable to keep my arm to my side when a practitioner tries to pull it up each time? chyeah, whatever), and took it all in stride but wrote it off for the most part. As it turns out, everything I had shown a reaction to and was willing to ignore, such as corn, poultry, amines, eggs, chocolate, ended up causing me unease and/or spots after eating them. So that was dumb of me but I figured it was worth mentioning.

-Too much of one thing may mean a deficiency in another. For awhile I thought I had too much estrogen from taking a bcp for so long. An estrogen dominance is just a progesterone deficiency. This is still an area for me to learn about.

-Skin picking, giving yourself 'facials' (what I have referred to it as forever, as if using tissues makes it more civilized even when you overdo it), extractions, whatever have to stop. You mentioned that you have oily skin. I thought so too since my mother, who is an esthetician, has told me that the whole time I've had acne. So why is it that anytime I use a quality moisturizer my skin feels better? Probably because I spent too much time washing it/giving myself facials that anything seeping out of my pores seemed unnatural and like it didn't belong there. So the only thing that seems right to do is keep washing it off right? Nah, sebum's there to help lubricate your skin and keep bacteria out. Keep it there and be sparing if you're using a cleanser. I recently started using a moisturizing sunscreen and have found that I like it. Also oil-cleansing in camellia oil or other carrier oil helps lubricate it in an otherwise overly-drying shower. When looking in mirrors now, I do my best to glance. Is my entire face red? No. Move along. Oh, my friend took a photo of me. Do I look happy in it? Yes, keep myself tagged. Staying focused on not focusing on your skin is the light at the end of the tunnel but also a conundrum.

Zinc, probiotic foods/a supplement/drinks, cod liver oil (look up the nutritional value of liver sometime and tell me straight-faced that this isn't the most taste bud saving, economically sound decision of supplementation you've ever made. go ahead, try. ;) ). I myself have played around with b-5, MSM, evening primrose oil, borage oil, dong quai, and PF liver tox by Jarrows. I still take 'em when I remember/feel like it. Gonna get co-ezyme-Q-10 and some 5-HTP pretty soon.

Look up bodily systems and their functions, it's fascinating stuff. Adrenal glands, methylation, kidneys, lymph nodes, liver, etc. There are some excellent TED talks and other people speaking on their behalf out there. All very stimulating.

I want to thank the biggest guru on thi forum, Alternativista,for her lovely recipe source that I've been following during these 6 months. Those recipes are perfect subsitutions for avoidable foods.

I truly believe that this diet will clear my acne up someday. I'm not giving up! Even tho I'm still embarrassed by my acne in front of my bf and friends, but I will stick to this regimen and eating plan. I'll also go to naturapath ( instead of derm.) and get some proper supplements. Will give it another 2-3 months, to see what happens. Thank you guys, for your inputs. I really appreciate them.

I want to thank the biggest guru on thi forum, Alternativista,for her lovely recipe source that I've been following during these 6 months. Those recipes are perfect subsitutions for avoidable foods.

I truly believe that this diet will clear my acne up someday. I'm not giving up! Even tho I'm still embarrassed by my acne in front of my bf and friends, but I will stick to this regimen and eating plan. I'll also go to naturapath ( instead of derm.) and get some proper supplements. Will give it another 2-3 months, to see what happens. Thank you guys, for your inputs. I really appreciate them.

You are on the right track, don't get discouraged! I would highly recommend seeing a naturopath. I'm also in California, LA specifically. If you are near there, I could give you my Dr's info. She has truly helped me (not just with acne, but depression and migraines), but the process is expensive. The thing that helped me the most was getting an IgG allergy test and eliminating 19 foods I am sensitive to. My skin was completely clear within 2 months. (Then I tried reintorducing foods, and broke out all over again. Back to eliminating.)

It could be that although you are on a very strict diet, you might be eliminating the wrong foods. Or eating some random food you might be alleric to. Unless I got the allergy test, I would have never known I am sensitive to sunflower seeds, bananas, and nightshades. Everyone is different, so eliminating what most people have problems with is a good start, but not the whole picture.

I know it can be very isolating to be on a super strict diet. I still go out with my friends when invited, but I eat before-hand. That way, I can socialize and still stay on my diet. Sometimes, I'll order a simple side dish, just so people don't feel weird eating when I'm not. You are lucky you are in California, when I travel to other states, they look at me like I have 2 heads when I mention "gluten". Good luck!

Edited by 4Fours

I think you're doing a great job. A couple things to remember:

-It can take a long time to heal from a bad diet. So you still have a lot of healing ahead of you.

-It will probably take a lot of tweaking things in your diet until you figure out how to get really 100% clear. Don't get discouraged!

It's hard to give you specific advice, but I can tell you that it was very important for me to remove ALL soy (even in trace amounts) and corn from my diet in order to get mostly clear. I also had to give up rice. Not saying you'll have to, but just throwing it out there that there might be other bad stuff in your diet. Soy is a massive no-no.

Eat as pure as you can. I break out even from pretty much any processed foods, even if they are gluten free. (a lot of gluten free foods are loaded with other crap)

Yes. It does. But that isn't necessarily enough. Stress, as you've already mentioned is also a major factor. How do you sleep? How's your digestion? What do you eat? Are you eating a lot of nutrient dense foods? Try consuming foods and keeping habits specifically beneficial for mood/stress, sleep, liver, adrenal health, digestion etc.

And with breakouts that come and go with your cycle, you should look into estrogen dominance. See the Good Things link in my signature for info on all of the above.

3. Eggs

4. Alcohol

5. COffee

6. White refined sugar

7. Soda or soft drinks

8. Spicy foods

This is me, to the T. I also followed Tracy's dietary recommendations and I even went Paleo for 3 months. In all honesty, I don't think it should take THAT long to clear acne with these "holy grail" diets. People say that they break out within a day of having gluten or ice cream yet it's supposed to take months of eating PERFECT to achieve even minimal success? I don't know if I believe that.

I found that my skin didn't improve all that much in terms of clarity, however I felt positive because I knew how much nutrients I was putting into my body. I think there is a give and take with whatever diet you choose for your acne. I often felt isolated too because I was constantly getting glares from friends or family members who felt like my diet was sticking my nose up at them. I didn't care, though, if it cleared my skin, I was doing it.

Anyway, I know that food can play a role in acne by triggering hormones that affect our sebum levels. However, changing your diet alone will not clear HORMONAL acne. If you have run of the mill acne, maybe that will do the trick. For me, it didn't.

If you have persistent acne, the hormonal kind, I suggest getting to an Endocrinologist and seeing if you have an imbalance. I found out that my testosterone was abnormally high, which explains the acne. I'm not just saying this, I have tried EVERYTHING to clear my skin. Literally. Please Please Please see an Endocrinologist if you have hormonal acne. I think it can really help you.

I also forgot to mention that dwelling on the "Elimination List" is just going to stress you out. Worrying about if gluten was touching my food or in the sauce or if I was somehow allergic to a "safe" food I was eating was not worth the false hope of clearing my skin with the diet I was on.

You should moisturize even if you're oily. You could be oily because the BP wash is drying and your skin is over producing oil to combat that.

This is me, to the T. I also followed Tracy's dietary recommendations and I even went Paleo for 3 months. In all honesty, I don't think it should take THAT long to clear acne with these "holy grail" diets. People say that they break out within a day of having gluten or ice cream yet it's supposed to take months of eating PERFECT to achieve even minimal success? I don't know if I believe that.

It might take months of avoiding foods like gluten and even all grains because they damage your intestinal linings and it takes time for your digestive tract to heal.

But, I agree that I do not believe all the people that say they break out the next day from sugar/high GI food. But, if they consume something they have an intolerance to, such as dairy, gluten, citrus, whatever they might be intolerant to, then yes, they can break out the next day.

Edited by alternativista

People! I don't eat grains ( except buckwheat) at all!!! I sleep for 7-8 hours a day. And even if I'm allergic to certain foods, my eliminations should've reducsed my breakouts already. But they are persistent and always appear right before my period. It's so frustrating. My diet helped my bf's mild acne tho ( as I mentioned), but it doesn't help with fluctuating hormones. Please read my elimination list one more time, I don't eat bananas either. And I'll avoid also nuts and seeds, because some people say that they had problems with them. I've been reading 9 common food allergies, I didn't miss a point. I've eliminated all those foods from my diet. Next things that I'm going to try beside my pure diet are:

1. Visit naturapath

2. Discuss with her/him what supplements should I take

3. Reduce stress level in my lfie

4. Eliminate nuts and seeds

P.S. Today I got another unexpected cyst on my right cheek ( as always the cysts reappear on the same spots). It's smaller compared to other ones, but it's still nasty. No wonder why I got it today tho, My period is on its way. Arghhh.