Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schlteacher

No Accutane Without Birth Control

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience, or something similar. I have had acne since I was about 12 years old (I'm now over 20). I recently started seeing a doctor again after getting health insurance, and she eventually suggested Accutane. However, she refuses to prescribe me Accutane unless I take birth control.

I practice abstinence as a religious lifestyle choice, There is absolutely no chance that I would suddenly decide to have sex. So it really doesn't make sense for me to expose myself to the potential side effects of birth control. It is possible within the iPledge program to simply choose abstinence, but my doctor informed me that very few doctors would prescribe it for me unless I take birth control, being that I'm in my early twenties.

Have any other females been prescribed Accutane without taking oral birth control? This is pretty frustrating for me. I know I could give in and take birth control to make her happy, but it just defies common sense!

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience, or something similar. I have had acne since I was about 12 years old (I'm now over 20). I recently started seeing a doctor again after getting health insurance, and she eventually suggested Accutane. However, she refuses to prescribe me Accutane unless I take birth control.

I practice abstinence as a religious lifestyle choice, There is absolutely no chance that I would suddenly decide to have sex. So it really doesn't make sense for me to expose myself to the potential side effects of birth control. It is possible within the iPledge program to simply choose abstinence, but my doctor informed me that very few doctors would prescribe it for me unless I take birth control, being that I'm in my early twenties.

Have any other females been prescribed Accutane without taking oral birth control? This is pretty frustrating for me. I know I could give in and take birth control to make her happy, but it just defies common sense!

Technically, no, I haven't. BUT, no one is going to know whether you are taking the pills or not. Tell her OK, and then simply don't fill the prescription or just dump the pills down the drain.

FWIW, I have a prescription for BC, my doctor thinks that I am taking it, but in reality, I'm not. I'm just about through my 4th month.

Hi. I'm in the US and on my third month of accutane. My dermatologist allowed me to choose abstinence and none as my two forms of birth control, but i've heard that it really is dependent upon who your dermatologist is. I agree with the others, flush them!

My dermatologist made me take bc as well. At the time I worried about the side effects. It's a matter of choice if you want to take bc. You can flush it if you want to;-)

Giiirlll they are not going to know if you are taking birth control or not! You tell her you are already on BC lol.... Just tell the woman what she wants to hear, you ultimately are the consumer and its your money lol.... But bless your heart for being able to live and abide strictly to your religious lifestyle!!! )

Edited by SkyLynn

i'm not sure if a doctor can track whether or not you filled the prescription but they definitely cant make you TAKE it.

I got a prescription and had my OBGYN fill out a form but just never took the pills- they can't tell on the blood tests or anything if you are/are not taking BC.

I had the same issue- I'm like, (to my doctor) have you seen my skin? OBV. I'm not getting any action. haha =)

Good luck with your course! Finishing up mine now