Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kylelipp

Soy Milk, Organic Milk, Or Neither?

I have always had constant mild acne with the occasional once a week breakout. I thought before it was because of weight training everyday, but I think I've pinned it down to milk and or dairy.

I would lift then have 8 oz of milk at dinner

4oz cottage cheese

Fruit on the bottom yogurt

8oz milk before bed

8oz milk in the morning

and it would kill my skin

I still would like to drink milk though, and knowing the levels of hormones added to regular skim milk, could I drink organic? Or would soy be safest? And has anyone found other dairy to make a difference?

Neither. Dairy and soy are both huge acne triggers in so many people. Cutting out dairy helped my skin out significantly, but I've made other diet changes too. Soy is full of hormones and is not something we should consume. There are so many articles about the negatives of soy products. If you want some kind of milk I would suggest almond milk. I've been drinking almond milk for a few months and love it! The chocolate is good but I find it has lots of sugar in it, so usually I drink the unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

If dairy is your problem it probably would be best to avoid all of it at first - milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream and butter. Avoid all of it for a month, then try adding back in cultured dairy like kefir and yogurt, aged cheeses and butter. If you don't break out from those you could try adding back in some regular milk. It's still not something you want to consume a lot of though and skim milk is horrible, at least drink the full fat stuff! Raw if you can find it or at least organic from pastured cows.

In the meantime: almond, hazelnut and coconut are all good substitutes. Making it yourself is better too, and really easy, that way you can avoid the unnecessary fillers and sugars.

That's a lot of dairy! My girl jennifer36 is totally right. Even my mainstream dermatologist said that there have been studies linking dairy and acne. Soy milk messes with you also, and triggers acne in lots of people.

I alternate between coconut and rice milk, and don't think I'll ever go back to cow's milk.

Soy messes with my hormones something fierce. Even raw, pasture-fed dairy messed with my hormones. I'm fine with yogurt, cheese, sour cream. I'm on my second container of Almond Breeze's new unsweetened almond coconut milk and it's delicious.

Almond coconut! That sounds tasty, I'll have to get some. I always buy almond breeze, but haven't noticed a coconut flavour.

ALSO, if you like coconut, you should try Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss. It's coconut ice cream and it's unreal. Gluten free, vegan, sweetened with organic agave. The vanilla flavour is my favourite so far.

Edited by jennifer36

ALSO, if you like coconut, you should try Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss. It's coconut ice cream and it's unreal. Gluten free, vegan, sweetened with organic agave. The vanilla flavour is my favourite so far.

Word! I love the Coconut Bliss chocolate bars. I've found they keep better in the freezer than the small tubs, not as much freezer burn since they are individually wrapped in plastic.