Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
somegirl0106

Did Anybody Else See No Results From Doxycycline?

I have acne all over my mouth, chin,jaw area (30-40 zits there) and a few more on my forehead. I've been on it for 5 weeks now and haven't seen the slightest improvement in my skin. If anything it's getting worse. Before I got prescribed doxycycline I was prescribed aczone and atralin for my skin which I used for two and a half months and saw absolutely no improvement. Before that I was experimenting on my own with over the counter products and tried witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, clean and clear, neutrogena, cetaphil, biore etc. Everything but benzoyl peroxide which I'm allergic too. While I've been on doxycycline I've been washing my face with cerave which is what my dermatologist told me to use, but it's not helping at all. I don't know what to do next? I'm starting to lose hope because I feel like I've tried everything and never see any results. I'm starting to get scarring too :(

I have acne all over my mouth, chin,jaw area (30-40 zits there) and a few more on my forehead. I've been on it for 5 weeks now and haven't seen the slightest improvement in my skin. If anything it's getting worse. Before I got prescribed doxycycline I was prescribed aczone and atralin for my skin which I used for two and a half months and saw absolutely no improvement. Before that I was experimenting on my own with over the counter products and tried witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, clean and clear, neutrogena, cetaphil, biore etc. Everything but benzoyl peroxide which I'm allergic too. While I've been on doxycycline I've been washing my face with cerave which is what my dermatologist told me to use, but it's not helping at all. I don't know what to do next? I'm starting to lose hope because I feel like I've tried everything and never see any results. I'm starting to get scarring too sad.png

i've been on it 3 weeks almost and its also not helping.whats your dose? i take 100mgs daily,maybe we take too little?

I've been on it before, for I think a month or two. It didn't help and I saw no improvement. I also don't know how effective antibiotics can be...I mean bacteria is supposed to be on our skin. Acne isn't a result of p. acnes, everyone has that in their skin. It's a product of too much sebum production mixed with the skin's inability to slough off dead layers and thus, clog the pore leading to inflammation and ACNE!

I've been on it before, for I think a month or two. It didn't help and I saw no improvement. I also don't know how effective antibiotics can be...I mean bacteria is supposed to be on our skin. Acne isn't a result of p. acnes, everyone has that in their skin. It's a product of too much sebum production mixed with the skin's inability to slough off dead layers and thus, clog the pore leading to inflammation and ACNE!

yeah I know but still it helps some people!!

I have acne all over my mouth, chin,jaw area (30-40 zits there) and a few more on my forehead. I've been on it for 5 weeks now and haven't seen the slightest improvement in my skin. If anything it's getting worse. Before I got prescribed doxycycline I was prescribed aczone and atralin for my skin which I used for two and a half months and saw absolutely no improvement. Before that I was experimenting on my own with over the counter products and tried witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, clean and clear, neutrogena, cetaphil, biore etc. Everything but benzoyl peroxide which I'm allergic too. While I've been on doxycycline I've been washing my face with cerave which is what my dermatologist told me to use, but it's not helping at all. I don't know what to do next? I'm starting to lose hope because I feel like I've tried everything and never see any results. I'm starting to get scarring too sad.png

i've been on it 3 weeks almost and its also not helping.whats your dose? i take 100mgs daily,maybe we take too little?

Yep I take 100 mg a day too.

Personally, I saw results after just a couple of weeks, but then by the eighth or ninth week things seemed to be pretty average again. It did start to control things better, I guess I was just expecting too much and so was frustrated that it wasn't a magical cure or something. I'm in my fifth month of a six month course and overall I've been very happy with it and I'm extremely pleased with where my skin's at right now. I was prescribed 100mg per day although the the last month, rather than just stop dead, I'm going to taper off and see if there's any difference when I take 100mg every other day. After that, I'm not too sure. I guess I'll then get to see just how influential my diet changes and increased supplement intake truly are once the Doxy is out of my system. If things don't work out too great in a few months, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

It's sometimes the case that things get worse before they get better when you start something new, although it didn't go that way for me with Doxy. Regardless, the best thing might be to stick with it a while longer, Heather. After all, things might soon turn around and you'll certainly be able to make a better-informed decision in a months time as you'd certainly expect to see noticeable improvement going into the third month.

If it doesn't quite go your way, then it just means that Doxy isn't going to be the answer for you. That would be disheartening, no doubt, but it also means that you'd essentially be a step closer to finding the thing that does work for you and that's what these journeys are all about. It's all trial and error until we get it right. Fingers crossed that that it starts improving for you very soon! :)

Personally, I saw results after just a couple of weeks, but then by the eighth or ninth week things seemed to be pretty average again. It did start to control things better, I guess I was just expecting too much and so was frustrated that it wasn't a magical cure or something. I'm in my fifth month of a six month course and overall I've been very happy with it and I'm extremely pleased with where my skin's at right now. I was prescribed 100mg per day although the the last month, rather than just stop dead, I'm going to taper off and see if there's any difference when I take 100mg every other day. After that, I'm not too sure. I guess I'll then get to see just how influential my diet changes and increased supplement intake truly are once the Doxy is out of my system. If things don't work out too great in a few months, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

It's sometimes the case that things get worse before they get better when you start something new, although it didn't go that way for me with Doxy. Regardless, the best thing might be to stick with it a while longer, Heather. After all, things might soon turn around and you'll certainly be able to make a better-informed decision in a months time as you'd certainly expect to see noticeable improvement going into the third month.

If it doesn't quite go your way, then it just means that Doxy isn't going to be the answer for you. That would be disheartening, no doubt, but it also means that you'd essentially be a step closer to finding the thing that does work for you and that's what these journeys are all about. It's all trial and error until we get it right. Fingers crossed that that it starts improving for you very soon! smile.png

That's great it's working for you. Well I just had my hormones tested a couple weeks ago to see if something was off with them. It's taking them forever to get the results back though. I am probably gonna try birth control as my next option depending on how the tests come back.

In that case, perhaps the test will shed some light on things and point you in the right direction. Then you'd be able to look into treatments which might be better suited if there are other triggers which things like Doxy aren't designed to tackle. Like I said before, trial and error. Never know, you might be closer to finding your solution than you think! :)