Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I love green tea it's the best! But-like eveything, it's not going to magically get rid of spots overnight. I myself want to get more into tea(become a bit of tea fanatic as it were). Camomile is also supposed to be very good. One piece of advice though. Try to buy non-caffienated versions because if you start going mad for tea-if it;s caffientated it'll cause you stress peaks.Not good for skin!

I suggest looking at the holistic boards and becoming a fan of tea! Also, great to use topically on skin as well :)

Hmm/ Sounds yummy :) Basically, you know really that drinknig tea isn't going to completely cure you of acne but it will definately help.

Why? 1. Tea is natural antioxidant

2/ tea is natural inflammatory

That means. if you are gentle with your skin and drink 10x cups of tea a day-you're skin really should get better.

what's this tea then? there's a shop in Edinburgh (scotland where I'm from that I'm gonna check out) loose tea !!!! and tea cups and pots soo pretty and japanese decorated! :)

I probably know way too much about tea...

From the actual tea bush (camellia sinensis):

Black: The "least" beneficial of all teas from the camellia sinensis plant. It has less antioxidants and more caffeine than the other three kinds of tea from this plant. Black tea is said to hinder the absorption of BPA from plastics however. Black tea is the most processed of all teas in this category.

Oolong: Is said to lower cholesterol and help with weight loss. In terms of health benefits it comes in right between black and green.

Green: Is full of antioxidants. It has less caffeine than black tea. I try to drink 3+ cups of green tea daily, I feel like it's helped my skin and overall well-being. There are some unreal fruit/green tea combinations out there. I love Goji Green (from Teaopia) as goji berries are so good for you! As well try to find a green chai, chai is so tasty, and this way you can get the health benefits of green with the taste of chai (usually black tea).

White: White tea is even better for you than green tea. If you're going to pick one kind of tea, I'd say go for white tea. It's the least processed of all teas from the camellia sinensis plant, and is the healthiest. It's more expensive though. Also some people don't like the flavour, but you can get some yummy fruit blends.

Matcha: Matcha has the most antioxidants, but also the most caffeine. Matcha is basically powdered green tea leaves. You ingest the entire tea leaf rather than just the infusion, hence why it's better for you. Matcha is extremely expensive as well.

Other "teas" (anything not using the camellia sinensis plant is technically an infusion rather than a tea):

Roobios: Is known as "Red Tea", but it comes from an evergreen shrub. It's naturally caffeine free and is very good for you! I'd say it's probably between green and white in health benefits. Vanilla roobios is absolutely delicious as well, as a note in case you decide to try this one.

Yerba Mate: Is a South American tea. It is loaded with antioxidants. It actually has what's known as "mateine" which is the natural stimulant. It also has 52 other active compounds. It gives me a big energy burst while I drink it, but no crash afterwards. It has more antioxidants than both green and white tea!

Tulsi: From India. Tulsi is known as "holy basil" and can be found in many different blends with other kinds of tea. I've tried Chai Masala (flavoured black tea) Tulsi, as well as Jasmine Chamomile Tulsi. Very good for you, very tasty as well but a distinct herby taste. Not convinced it has significant skin benefits on it's own, but in a chamomile, green or white blend it could be very beneficial.

Fruit Blends: Lots of antioxidants! Watch out for sugars though, as it's literally fruit pieces infused it water. Lemon zinger tea is good if your throat hurts though! Manuka honey and lemon zinger tea is the best sore throat cure I've ever found.

Chamomile: Chamomile is such a powerful anti-inflammatory. I would highly recommend this in helping with your acne. I drink at least 2+ cups of chamomile each day. Usually chamomile lavender actually. I use the chamomile lavender as a toner as well! It helps me sleep at night also, very relaxing.

Cleansing Teas: Cleansing teas are in my opinion very beneficial when it comes to dealing with your skin. These are generally made up of diuretic herbs/plants, basically they make you have to pee, a lot. This purifies your body. I particularly like dandelion leaf (the flavour takes a bit of time to get used to) as well as a "cleanse" blend I buy (made by Pukka) made up of nettle, fennel, dandelion root, licorice root and peppermint. I've also heard good things about Senna leaf, but this should be mixed with something else like chamomile or it can cause stomach upset. Whenever I drink any of these I try to drink lots of water directly afterwards.

Some Others: Ginger tea is great! Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory (and a very powerful one) so it's very good to drink. Ginger peach is super yummy, ginger green tea is delicious too. Peppermint and spearmint have also been cited as beneficial if you have acne.

My favourite "skin teas" are white, green, matcha, roobios, chamomile tulsi blends, cleansing teas, and ginger teas. These are what I've found to be the best for my skin in my experiences. I've been a tea fanatic for a few years now, mostly loose leaf tea.

There are literally thousands and thousands of different kinds of traditional and herbal teas. These are just a few common ones I could list for you that I know a good amount about. If you have any questions feel free to let me know, I'm sure there's a lot that I've left out! I probably have 40+ kinds of tea that I regularly drink in my tea cupboard.

Edited by jennifer36

Oh, I have no expectations of any sort of beverage curing acne. The bp is doing a pretty good job of treating acne. But it may also be doing a good job of making me age faster. I have my doubts that the antioxidants in tea can really counteract free radical damage to my skin, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

I average 3-5 cups a day during the work week and 5-7 on the weekends. Matcha is supposed to be pretty intense because you are consuming the entire tea leaf. And white tea is supposed to be the least processed (processing tea kills polyphenols) so some say that's the best kind for you. I know very little about Rooibos except that it's good choice before bed and it's yummy. I need to do more studying on it.

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/white-teas/p/body-mind-white-tea

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/rooibos-teas/p/opus-rouge-rooibos-tea

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/green-teas/p/matcha-japanese-green-tea

I got some basic air-tight canisters and a pretty basic single-cup tea maker. And a new frother for my matcha (it's usually made with a bamboo whisk, which is a hassle). I like using a tea maker rather than an infuser because it's just tidier. I like Stash tea, even though it comes in bags. But I think I'm on my way to becoming a tea snob.

Jennifer, you are a wealth of information. Thank you.

Also, loose leaf tea is best whenever possible! I have a glass and stainless steel infuser teapot, as well as airtight spice jars I bought to keep my loose leaf teas in. Sometimes bags are more convenient, but try to buy from a health food store/fair trade, as much bagged tea can come from companies that do not use equitable trade practices!

Also, loose leaf tea is best whenever possible! I have a glass and stainless steel infuser teapot, as well as airtight spice jars I bought to keep my loose leaf teas in. Sometimes bags are more convenient, but try to buy from a health food store/fair trade, as much bagged tea can come from companies that do not use equitable trade practices!

What do you think of Yogi teas?

Yogi seems to be one of the higher quality bagged teas out there. I haven't bought much of their tea though since I usually opt for loose leaf. I like Traditonal Medicinals (they make a nice ginger, as well as chamomile lavender) brand tea, as well as some Stash teas (they have nice holiday blends).

I've never actually heard of Teavana! I just looked it up though, it seems similar to Teaopia. I love Teaopia, there's one in the mall I work at, I definitely am there every day on my break.

Stash had a "white christmas" blend this year that I absolutely adore. White tea with ginger and peppermint. Triple skin benefits!

Stevia is a naturally occurring, zero calorie sweetener, from leaves. I find it's in a lot of tea blends and flavoured teas to make them sweeter. This is another reason I prefer loose leaf tea to bagged tea.. Generally the fruit blended green and white loose leaf teas don't have stevia, whereas the bagged ones do. In moderation of course, it's one of the only sweeteners I will consume, along with honey, organic cane sugar and organic agave. I prefer to avoid most of these though and just use honey when necessary. I'm somewhat of a tea purist though, and I generally drink all my tea straight up (other than honey and almond milk in my orange pekoe black tea).

It is just astounding how much there is to learn about tea ad tea culture. But I'm going to be spending some time in Asia so hopefully I will come back with a little more knowledge on the subject.

Yeah exactly! There's so much to know. I know a lot about tea but I feel like even I have so much to learn about it. The teaopia website has a whole bunch of great information too.

I would love to go to Asia, I'm thinking of travelling to South America this summer!

I love this teaopia site. It seems more honest than most. (some of them lead me to believe that if I drink enough tea, I can stay a pack a day smoker without much of a risk of lung cancer.)

South America is high on my list of places to visit. My boyfriend wants to go to Argentina and I'm dying to see Belize.

Edited by Lola Burns

I love green tea but I find that it makes my skin super oily. I really like Yogi's Ginger Tea. I drink a cup after a meal to help with digestion. Also Trader Joe's chamomile tea to help me de-stress towards the end of the day.

Does anyone here have much knowledge of tea and what various types can realistically do?

I know and drink many teas. I don't understand the second part of your question. I'm guessing you are asking which are beneficial. The answer would be pretty much all of them. Replace all of your sugary drinks with hot and cold unsweetened teas. See the drink recipe thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/227342-drink-recipes/

Almost everything from a plant that isn't a seed or sugar is anti-inflammatory. herbs, teas, spices, etc. Green tea is extra beneficial for quite a few reasons, one of which is that it is anti-androgen. Mint tea is as well, but it's also slightly estrogenic which might help or hurt. Chamomile has the extra benefit of being calming helping you manage stress and to sleep well. Hibiscus tea is high in vitamin C and other nutrients. Most are high in pro-anthocyanins (probably misspelled) which have a few benefits but in particular, are natural antihistimine and protect your skin from damage from the sun letting you spend more time outside getting some vitamin D. Ginger tea aids in digestion.

Edited by alternativista

I feel way healthier since giving up coffee and switching to green tea. Coffee was just becoming way too harsh on my system.

One of my favorite teas is raspberry leaf tea. Especially for the ladies. :)

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/raspberry_leaf.php

It's thought of more as something to drink to prepare for pregnancy, but it's also great for relaxing you through your time of the month. I've really noticed it calming the cramps a bit. I drink it all the time just because it's yummy. :)

Does anyone here have much knowledge of tea and what various types can realistically do?

I know and drink many teas. I don't understand the second part of your question. I'm guessing you are asking which are beneficial. The answer would be pretty much all of them. Replace all of your sugary drinks with hot and cold unsweetened teas. See the drink recipe thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/227342-drink-recipes/

Almost everything from a plant that isn't a seed or sugar is anti-inflammatory. herbs, teas, spices, etc. Green tea is extra beneficial for quite a few reasons, one of which is that it is anti-androgen. Mint tea is as well, but it's also slightly estrogenic which might help or hurt. Chamomile has the extra benefit of being calming helping you manage stress and to sleep well. Hibiscus tea is high in vitamin C and other nutrients. Most are high in pro-anthocyanins (probably misspelled) which have a few benefits but in particular, are natural antihistimine and protect your skin from damage from the sun letting you spend more time outside getting some vitamin D. Ginger tea aids in digestion.

The second part of the question was referring to some of the more exaggerated claims I've heard. I've read that tea can cure everything from acne to insomnia to cancer.

I didn't know green tea is an anti-androgen! Ok, now tell me if I'm wrong, but androgens increase sebum production? Or no? Someone else said that green tea makes their skin oily? So I looked it up and couldn't find anything that said that was a common side effect. Why would green tea make someone oily?

I feel way healthier since giving up coffee and switching to green tea. Coffee was just becoming way too harsh on my system.

One of my favorite teas is raspberry leaf tea. Especially for the ladies. :)

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/raspberry_leaf.php

It's thought of more as something to drink to prepare for pregnancy, but it's also great for relaxing you through your time of the month. I've really noticed it calming the cramps a bit. I drink it all the time just because it's yummy. :)

Last week, I accidentally took a sip of my boyfriend's coffee thinking it was my tea. It kind of grossed me out. Which was a little weird because I love coffee.

What do you think it is in that raspberry tea that eases cramping?

Stevia is a naturally occurring, zero calorie sweetener, from leaves. I find it's in a lot of tea blends and flavoured teas to make them sweeter. This is another reason I prefer loose leaf tea to bagged tea..

Ugh I learned that the hard way and had to give away several boxes of teas that I bought because they tasted gross. I thought tea was just tea and herbs haha. Although I guess you could argue that stevia is an herb. I just don't like my tea sweetened usually, and especially not with Stevia, blech. Also, your post about all of the different teas was really thorough and awesome.

Stevia is a naturally occurring, zero calorie sweetener, from leaves. I find it's in a lot of tea blends and flavoured teas to make them sweeter. This is another reason I prefer loose leaf tea to bagged tea..

Ugh I learned that the hard way and had to give away several boxes of teas that I bought because they tasted gross. I thought tea was just tea and herbs haha. Although I guess you could argue that stevia is an herb. I just don't like my tea sweetened usually, and especially not with Stevia, blech. Also, your post about all of the different teas was really thorough and awesome.

Yeah, I hate sweetened tea and have bought a few blends that I really don't like.

Thanks!!!

I'd have to agree about stevia being kind of blechhh, I don't sweeten any of my teas unless it's orange pekoe or something similar, and that's always just with some honey and then some almond milk.

Yeah, I hate sweetened tea and have bought a few blends that I really don't like.

I've never really understood why people sweeten most teas. I was once with a friend who put 3 spoons of sugar into chamomile tea. I don't even want to imagine what that could have tasted like.

A thread about the raspberry tea.

http://forums.organi...01/m/5271022501

I've always heard it strengthens and tones the uterus.

I've also heard some good things about raspberry tea! I haven't tried it out yet, but I haven't heard much about it in relation to acne.

Oh, I have no expectations of any sort of beverage curing acne. The bp is doing a pretty good job of treating acne. But it may also be doing a good job of making me age faster.

It is. If you aren't ready to give up topicals, why not use a BHA instead? And the antioxidants in tea and in a diet filled with real, whole, nutrient dense foods, especially plant foods will counter the free radical damage.