Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

Clear In 2-3 Weeks By Diet Alone

I avoided wheat, grains, dairy, eggs, beans/legumes, starchy vegetables, root vegetables, midnight shade vegetables, cooked vegetables, peanuts, soy, iodized salt, high iodine food, pre-made raw "junk food", and refined sugar/artificial sugar.

I also cut out meat and fish because of personal preference and replacing it with suppliments/vitamins.

I had persistent moderate acne and sudden back acne (which also went away).

I eat a wide variety of fruits, and eat my vegetables raw. I eat a lot of dark leafy green vegetables, and nuts/seeds...my preference is raw sunflower seeds. I dress my dark leafy green with heated/pasturized vinegar and sometimes olives, and shred fresh vegetables on top. I also drink a lot of coconut milk. I make everything from scratch and don't eat the raw junk food, or raw chocolate. If I want something sweet I eat some raisins or drizzle pure mayple syrup on chopped bannanas or the fruit of my choice. I also drink 2 liters of water a day and eat small meals throughout the day.

The acne cleared in less than a month. It cleared because of what I avoided rather than what I was eating. Now I just have red marks that I will let time heal and minor scars which I will look at treatment for.

Any questions?

*I'm occationally editing this to add food groups that I may have forgot to put.

Edited by LiveLaughFart

Please come back in 6 months and let us know if you're still on this special diet and how your skin has done. Thanks!

Good stuff, well done! It's amazing how fast the body can respond isn't it. I found the same thing - three to four weeks of avoiding what I discovered were triggers for my acne and it's totally gone.

I suppose the test now is to see if things continue this way for us but I don't see why not. Regardless, we might as well just enjoy it!

I think the thing which I'm most happy about, strangely, is not so much that I cleared my acne but that I now have control over what my skin does because for so many years, it felt like it was in control and I was at its mercy. Not anymore! smile.png

im curious what you eat, as in everything that you consume, is it mainly just fruits and veggies? do you get hungry often, do you eat any meat at all? :)

Just one... why are you using the pasteurized vinegar verses the raw?

Simply because it tastes better. I don't like the bitter taste of raw ACV, even though it's healthier, I would rather make my salad taste desirable so I can eat more of it. So in this case, pasturized ACV works out healthier for me because it makes me eat more green leafy veggies. It also doesn't affect my acne at all so I am ok w/ eating it.

Please come back in 6 months and let us know if you're still on this special diet and how your skin has done. Thanks!

Will do

Good stuff, well done! It's amazing how fast the body can respond isn't it. I found the same thing - three to four weeks of avoiding what I discovered were triggers for my acne and it's totally gone.

I suppose the test now is to see if things continue this way for us but I don't see why not. Regardless, we might as well just enjoy it!

I think the thing which I'm most happy about, strangely, is not so much that I cleared my acne but that I now have control over what my skin does because for so many years, it felt like it was in control and I was at its mercy. Not anymore! smile.png

That's great that your acne is gone too. I know, I thought it would take months for it to go away but it just suddenly stopped as soon as I got rid of the trigger foods...and the old pimples just go away at the same rate. It feels good to have control over your acne and especially know what causes it.

I think a lot of ppl on here that don't see results is because they are still eating trigger foods w/o even knowing it. I would have never thought before that oatmeal would cause acne but now I know..

I wouldn't have gotten clear if it wasn't for this site because everywhere else people say "just avoid greesy food, sugar, and wash your face." If I followed that advice I'd be on my way to severe acne!! lmao.

I avoided wheat, grains, dairy, eggs, beans/legumes, starchy vegetables, root vegetables, midnight shade vegetables, soy, iodized salt, high iodine food, and refined sugar.

I also cut out meat and fish because of personal preference and replacing it with suppliments/vitamins.

I eat a wide variety of fruits, and eat my vegetables raw. I eat a lot of dark leafy green vegetables, and nuts/seeds...my preference is raw sunflower seeds. I dress my dark leafy green with heated/pasturized vinegar and sometimes olives, and shred fresh vegetables on top. I also drink a lot of coconut milk. I make everything from scratch and don't eat the raw junk food, or raw chocolate. If I want something sweet I eat some raisins or drizzle pure mayple syrup on chopped bannanas or the fruit of my choice. I also drink 2 liters of water a day and eat small meals throughout the day.

The acne cleared in less than a month. It cleared because of what I avoided rather than what I was eating. Now I just have red marks that I will let time heal and minor scars which I will look at treatment for.

Any questions?

Photos please! Otherwise I can post whatever I want.

im curious what you eat, as in everything that you consume, is it mainly just fruits and veggies? do you get hungry often, do you eat any meat at all? smile.png

Yes, mainly fruits and vegetables and nuts/seeds. I don't have a problem with meat causing acne as long as it's organic but, I just dislike meat for many reasons so I take vitamins/suppliments instead.

I don't get hungry at all because the food I eat taste good to me. I eat a variety of my favorite fresh fruit. The salad I make tastes good because it's a mix of different greens, and olives, avacadoes, and heated ACV plus other raw vegetables or fruit I feel like eating. Theres a lot of possibilities with salad.

I just got done eating a plate of chopped bannanas, baby tangerine slices, purple and green raisins, with pure mayple syrup drizzled on top. It tasted really amazing and I would rather eat that than sugar cookies, or ice cream any day.

I also eat one small handful of sunflower seeds a day, and I avoid peanuts and make sure to not go overboard on the raisins/dried fruit.

Fruit, vegetables, and nuts/seeds may sound boring at first but there are A LOT of things you can make with it.

Edited by LiveLaughFart

I wouldn't have gotten clear if it wasn't for this site because everywhere else people say "just avoid greesy food, sugar, and wash your face." If I followed that advice I'd be on my way to severe acne!! lmao.

Snap!

I only ever did what people told me - the kind of stuff you referred to - and it only ever made things worse. I listened to people who didn't have a clue but I was totally uneducated anyway so was in no position to argue. I asked my parents for advice, for example. Nobody in my family has ever had acne and they all made a point of telling me so. Even so, I asked my parents what to do because it's logical to think they'd have my best interests at heart. I'm sure they did, but their lack of experience with acne meant they gave bad advice. Way back when, they said I should pop pimples. Thirteen years later, that was a full-blown habit I actively had to try and break...

Same for the foods - I avoided all that cliched stuff and it made no difference because those things weren't triggers for me. Nobody ever said anything about dairy and they'd all have claimed, as would I, that something like milk would be perfectly innocent in relation to causing skin problems. I would never have known about the dairy connection without acne.org. Just like I would never have taken the path I did to find out what my intolerances were. Kind of wish I'd found this place and taken those steps a heck of a lot sooner, but I don't suppose that matters now. The main thing is that, hopefully sooner rather than later, we all figure out how to take that control back and we all get to where we want to be.

smile.png

How exactly do you find what your triggers are? Wouldn't you have to stop eating/drinking altogether for weeks and then add 1 food at a time until you see that it hasn't caused you to break out? Did you have hunches before you started or did you just go with other people's suggestions?

ONe more question.... how do you eat out and still follow your diet?

How exactly do you find what your triggers are? Wouldn't you have to stop eating/drinking altogether for weeks and then add 1 food at a time until you see that it hasn't caused you to break out? Did you have hunches before you started or did you just go with other people's suggestions?

I learned all the trigger foods from researching this site, and sure enough they cause acne anytime I ate them.

I just notice breakouts within a few days after eating an acne trigger.

And I don't eat out at restraunts, only places that have a sald bar.

Simply because it tastes better. I don't like the bitter taste of raw ACV, even though it's healthier, I would rather make my salad taste desirable so I can eat more of it. So in this case, pasturized ACV works out healthier for me because it makes me eat more green leafy veggies. It also doesn't affect my acne at all so I am ok w/ eating it.

Ah I see, good call then.

You follow a methodical elimination diet. You either try avoiding foods one by one or in groups of related foods starting with the most commonly problematic foods like grains, dairy, soy, nuts, peanuts, citrus, etc. Or you stick to very hypoallergenic foods for a month or so, then methodically add foods back in.

But 'trigger' foods are not the only way that diet affects acne. You might not have any 'trigger' foods. Other than dairy which impacts acne in a number of ways so if you consume a great deal of it, it will be a big factor in your acne whether or not you have an intolerance.

High glycemic meals spike insulin which stimulates the over production of other hormones. And it's inflammatory. Various other foods are inflammatory. If you consume more inflammatory foods than ant-inflammatory, you have chronic inflammation. Stress is also inflammatory. As is prolonged extreme physical activity. And gum disease. And a damaged digestive tract. And then there is the nutrients your body needs to function properly.

Wow congrats. Although I do believe diet is important, it not a cure for acne in all people. I have been eating as you described for years and have had no improvement in my mild acne. I only drink water, no milk, no soda, no coffee, no beer. I never eat cake/candy/produced foods or fast food. I do however eat alot of chicken cooked with vegetables often for the high protein. I agree that high glycemic meals can over stimulate hormones but there is also many other causes. In my case, its exercising. After going through the whole puberty stage my acne eventually stopped. Years later I decided to live a healthier life which also entailed lifting weights on daily basis. Little did I know, gaining muscle would increase my testosterone to the point where my acne came back. Even though I eat very healthy and exercise daily, nothing can overcome my higher hormone levels. I hope my body will eventually adjust..... I guess time will tell.

Wow congrats. Although I do believe diet is important, it not a cure for acne in all people. I have been eating as you described for years and have had no improvement in my mild acne. I only drink water, no milk, no soda, no coffee, no beer. I never eat cake/candy/produced foods or fast food. I do however eat alot of chicken cooked with vegetables often for the high protein. I agree that high glycemic meals can over stimulate hormones but there is also many other causes. In my case, its exercising. After going through the whole puberty stage my acne eventually stopped. Years later I decided to live a healthier life which also entailed lifting weights on daily basis. Little did I know, gaining muscle would increase my testosterone to the point where my acne came back. Even though I eat very healthy and exercise daily, nothing can overcome my higher hormone levels. I hope my body will eventually adjust..... I guess time will tell.

Yes, diet alone isn't enough if you have other unhealthy habits. But it does affect everyone. And I don't think it's the gaining of the muscle that boosts testosterone. It's the actual workouts. Perhaps you can change or shorten your workouts to find a point at which they aren't a problem. Increased testosterone levels coincide with increased lactate levels, so maybe you want to be careful with workouts that cause high levels of lactate. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/page__view__findpost__p__2661867

Prolonged extreme exertion isn't actually healthy, btw. It's inflammatory, which is a major factor in acne and most other non-infectious diseases.

Edited by alternativista

I don't eat out either, you wouldn't believe how much money you save over the course of a year. Thousands! You can take half that money and put it right back into really good, organic, grass fed etc quality food that you make yourself, eat about a billion times better and have tons more money for other stuff.

And it wasn't like I was eating out at expensive five start restaurants before or anything. I calculated that I saved thousands of dollars just from avoiding places like fast food restaurants and Applebees.

And it wasn't like I was eating out at expensive five start restaurants before or anything. I calculated that I saved thousands of dollars just from avoiding places like fast food restaurants and Applebees.

Yeah, save that money for occasional splurges on great food out. Although, I don't care for a lot of 5-star or whatever restaurants. I don't want to pay for ridiculous decor and goofy food. Just make the place look nice and pleasant and serve truly good food.

Edited by alternativista

I avoided wheat, grains, dairy, eggs, beans/legumes, starchy vegetables, root vegetables, midnight shade vegetables, soy, iodized salt, high iodine food, and refined sugar.

Any questions?

I love everything about this! I'm so very happy for YOU!! Do you have a menu plan for a day? or Fruits/Veggies that you regularly eat? Again, what a great victory!!

I avoided wheat, grains, dairy, eggs, beans/legumes, starchy vegetables, root vegetables, midnight shade vegetables, soy, iodized salt, high iodine food, and refined sugar

(...)

I'm really happy for you wink.png

As I said in another post, if the whole world would go Wai + raw veggies (like you), the world would be so much better already tongue.png

Edited by OlympusMons

I avoided wheat, grains, dairy, eggs, beans/legumes, starchy vegetables, root vegetables, midnight shade vegetables, soy, iodized salt, high iodine food, and refined sugar

(...)

I'm really happy for you wink.png

As I said in another post, if the whole world would go Wai + raw veggies (like you), the world would be so much better already tongue.png

Yeah my diet is really similar to the wai diet...I haven't eaten any cooked veggies. All of the food I have been eating was raw and fresh, except the ACV, olives, and raisins. But your diet allows dried fruit right? And I recently cut out olives because they are too salty and addictive.

I have been eating soooo much fruit these past weeks, like all different kinds.

Raw veggies instead of cooked are probably the reason I am clear, because I have tried steaming my vegetables everyday and boiling them, and during that time I was still breaking out. The acne only went away when I switched to raw.

Any questions?

I love everything about this! I'm so very happy for YOU!! Do you have a menu plan for a day? or Fruits/Veggies that you regularly eat? Again, what a great victory!!

I knowww. I am mostly happy that the back acne went away, because I felt like acne was taking over my whole body and I wouldn't have any clear skin left. I'm so glad it stopped.

Yes the fruits I like to eat are: honey dew melons, watermelon, avacadoes, asian pears, papaya, grapefruit, mangoes, tangerines, and raisins. I eat whatever fruit I desire at the time. But, I make sure to never over-eat and I eat small meals throughout the whole day.

Throughout the day I eat salads with dark leafy green vegetables always, and big cucumbers, avacadoes, shredded raw carrots, or any raw vegetables I have/feel like eating. I put black pepper and diluted ACV on top and sometimes olive oil.

I also eat 1 small handfull of sunflower seeds a day. (If I eat too much, I will breakout)

Yeah my diet is really similar to the wai diet...I haven't eaten any cooked veggies. All of the food I have been eating was raw and fresh, except the ACV, olives, and raisins. But your diet allows dried fruit right? And I recently cut out olives because they are too salty and addictive.

It's ok to have some (pasteurized or not) ACV for seasoning.

Yes, Wai allows dried fruit, and I'm mad for it :D

Hmm... probably the salt makes olives addictive (I used to be addicted on them too, before Wai).

Raw veggies instead of cooked are probably the reason I am clear, because I have tried steaming my vegetables everyday and boiling them, and during that time I was still breaking out. The acne only went away when I switched to raw.

Glad to hear that you experimented and found it by yourself :)

That's cause veggies contain some moderate protein (brocolli, for instance are 5% protein) so you'd be ingesting some moderate amounts of heat-damaged protein, which, according to the Wai theory, can cause acne.

Still, raw veggies are not as easy to digest as fruits.