Acne Or Folliculiti...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne Or Folliculitis?

MemberMember
(@sir-paul)

Posted : 01/09/2012 3:43 pm

• 26-year-old male

• Currently taking/using: Aczone (dapsone) Gel 5%, Clinique Men's 3-Step Skin Care System, Doxycycline Hyclate (100 mg) and Mupirocin Ointment USP, 2%

• Aczone is applied in the morning, face is washed with Clinique twice a day, Doxyclycline is taken twice a day (morning and evening) and the Mupricin is used in the nares for 1 week per month

• Duac Topical Gel was substituted for Aczone due to insurance cost

• Isolated to chin and lower mustache area

• Ongoing roughly since May 2011

post-165465-0-22526100-1326143858_thumb.

05/06/2011

post-165465-0-71494800-1326143872_thumb.

05/10/2011

post-165465-0-50452800-1326143889_thumb.

05/11/2011

post-165465-0-65740800-1326143902_thumb.

06/21/2011

post-165465-0-65117900-1326143921_thumb.

01/09/2012

Anyone else experiencing this or have any insight? Thanks.

post-165465-0-22526100-1326143858_thumb.

post-165465-0-71494800-1326143872_thumb.

post-165465-0-50452800-1326143889_thumb.

post-165465-0-65740800-1326143902_thumb.

post-165465-0-65117900-1326143921_thumb.

MemberMember
(@newhope22)

Posted : 01/09/2012 9:00 pm

I think it may be follicuiltis? and if thats the case would they give you anti fungal? idk

MemberMember
(@lazybum-sdgmail-com)

Posted : 01/14/2012 9:53 pm

I get the exact things on my chin.I have acne too, but always wondered if the stuff around my chin was caused by shaving or was the acne itself. The bumps on my chin look exactly like yours and get pus-filled like that. I constantly have some there, or if they fade away for a day or 2 new ones appear soon after. I tried explaining what these looked like to a dermatologist and she thought it was acne, but i didnt have any on my face the day I saw her, so it's a possibility she is wrong. I don't know though.

MemberMember
(@sir-paul)

Posted : 01/15/2012 12:07 pm

I get the exact things on my chin.I have acne too, but always wondered if the stuff around my chin was caused by shaving or was the acne itself. The bumps on my chin look exactly like yours and get pus-filled like that. I constantly have some there, or if they fade away for a day or 2 new ones appear soon after. I tried explaining what these looked like to a dermatologist and she thought it was acne, but i didnt have any on my face the day I saw her, so it's a possibility she is wrong. I don't know though.

The pustules form, mostly at night, regardless of if I shave or not (stopped shaving for a month). The Aczone helps with the inflamation and I recently switched back to Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar as my twice a day cleanser. The Doxyclycline seemed to have worked initially, but now no longer has the same effect as it did whenever I first started it. The Mupricin controls the flare-ups, but only after a few days of use (was tested positive for Staph in the nose). I've been to two dermatologists who both diagnosed me with adult acne, but I beg to differ. I have an upcoming appointment with the original demartologist who diagnosed me. Hopefully, we'll be able to put a stop to whatever is causing my breakouts. I'll report back soon.

Edit: The pictures, posted above, serve as a timeline and, as you can see, the breakouts have not ceased after 8 months of treament (antibiotic and topical gels).

MemberMember
(@lazybum-sdgmail-com)

Posted : 01/15/2012 3:43 pm

Good luck man. And dont forget to post back if you figure out how to get rid of them! heh.

MemberMember
(@sir-paul)

Posted : 01/15/2012 5:22 pm

Good luck man. And dont forget to post back if you figure out how to get rid of them! heh.

Thanks and will do. turtle.gif

MemberMember
(@futurestars)

Posted : 01/17/2012 4:33 am

I think it is caused by tooth paste. I get break outs there when I am careless with my toothpaste bubbles. Try brushing your teeth neater. I don't know - trying to help.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 01/17/2012 10:12 pm

I'm no expert but from the pictures I've seen on the internet it looks like foliculitus. I would try using tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar or hydrogen peroxide on the spots and over the affected area every night and see if it doesn't clear up for you. Some people on these boards have also used nizoral shampoo, head and shoulders or athletes foot creams. You might also want to treat this internally by avoiding sugars, yeasts and alcohol for a bit since fungus feeds on them. You can also take apple cider vinegar internally as well as oil of oregano, probiotics, grapefruit seed extract ... etc. Is the area ever itchy? Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@sir-paul)

Posted : 02/04/2012 1:38 pm

Roughly, three weeks ago, I returned to the original dermatologist who diagnosed me. I was prescribed Minocycline (100 mg) and Clindamycin 1% Lotion. I'm happy to report that my folliculitis, confirmed by the dermatologist, is now nonexistent.

MemberMember
(@aceepidermis)

Posted : 02/04/2012 1:54 pm

Roughly, three weeks ago, I returned to the original dermatologist who diagnosed me. I was prescribed Minocycline (100 mg) and Clindamycin 1% Lotion. I'm happy to report that my folliculitis, confirmed by the dermatologist, is now nonexistent.

Glad it all worked out. I've long wondered if some of my acne was folliculitis, just from the bizarre placement of some of it. I wouldn't be overly surprised if I had both.

MemberMember
(@lazybum-sdgmail-com)

Posted : 03/14/2012 7:42 am

Glad it all worked out. I've long wondered if some of my acne was folliculitis, just from the bizarre placement of some of it. I wouldn't be overly surprised if I had both.

Yea I wonder if I have both as well. I know I have acne because I get it on my back and forehead as well and I dont shave those areas. But around my chin area I get stuff that looks like what Sir Paul has, but it could just be acne for me too. Ill have to bring this up to my dermatologist next time I see her though.

MemberMember
(@peanutbagel)

Posted : 08/23/2012 1:51 pm

Sir Paul, I just wanted to know if you have had continued success with what you were prescribed and a few other quick questions to help as I'm struggling to find a solution and the whole thing is knocking my confidence.

I pretty much match your profile.. 27 year old male etc etc and have pretty much tried everything from diet to face washes to topical etc etc. When I was in my late teens early twenties I had antibiotics and lots of topicals for acne but the problem has never really gone away and the absolute PRIMARY reason for this is because on a daily basis I get exactly the same things as you posted. I use BP but this is not really stopping them at all.

They generally occur round the mouth, chin, upper lip and around nose though they can also be on jaw area but less so, plus I can easily get them on forehead but smaller. The general trend with them is the following:

The pore is not plugged

They can go from a red dot to a sizeable pustule through the day

They can pop by themselves

Other pustules can form close by over the following days

Can usually - but not always - see a hair (even a tiny, light one) in the centre and this is frequently a beard hair

I only use a beard trimmer so it is not caused by shaving

Other things I've noticed

Flares up if I use anything with Salicylic acid or glycolics or any exfoliating products

Seems unaffacted by diet - have been to see a nutritionist

BP doesn't stop it

Doxycycline doesn't stop

Just like to know if you can relate to this as I'd be more than happy to find someone who has experience the same issues and finally found a solution to it as it is driving me insane!

Thanks all

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/03/2012 11:09 am

I have the same issue, and it's not folliculitis. I've been growing my beard out for 3 weeks now and the whiteheads still appear. I'm glad that you found temporary relief with antibiotics, but most likely when you stop taking minocycline it's going to come back twice as bad.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 09/03/2012 4:38 pm

Roaccutane could help with this. It's not a cure though as I still get these types of spots after 7 years of roaccutane.

MemberMember
(@justin333)

Posted : 10/19/2012 8:13 pm

BUMP

I have the same exact issue along with seborrheic dermatitis. The folliculitis outbreaks are the big concern though and look exactly like yours. They spread rapidly, follicle to follicle sometimes even form to make one big nasty inflamed whitehead. Sodium Sulfacetamide had been keeping it clear for a couple months but now is bac with a vengance. I had some great success with dead sea salt soaks for awhile but became ineffective. It is super depressing and help would be so greaty appreciated. I'm looking for a more natural cure. Thanks

MemberMember
(@eveaga)

Posted : 12/30/2012 5:06 pm

Sir Paul,

I just wanted to know if you have had continued success with what you were prescribed and a few other quick questions to help as I'm struggling to find a solution and the whole thing is knocking my confidence.

I pretty much match your profile.. 27 year old male etc etc and have pretty much tried everything from diet to face washes to topical etc etc. When I was in my late teens early twenties I had antibiotics and lots of topicals for acne but the problem has never really gone away and the absolute PRIMARY reason for this is because on a daily basis I get exactly the same things as you posted. I use BP but this is not really stopping them at all.

They generally occur round the mouth, chin, upper lip and around nose though they can also be on jaw area but less so, plus I can easily get them on forehead but smaller. The general trend with them is the following:

The pore is not plugged

They can go from a red dot to a sizeable pustule through the day

They can pop by themselves

Other pustules can form close by over the following days

Can usually - but not always - see a hair (even a tiny, light one) in the centre and this is frequently a beard hair

I only use a beard trimmer so it is not caused by shaving

Other things I've noticed

Flares up if I use anything with Salicylic acid or glycolics or any exfoliating products

Seems unaffacted by diet - have been to see a nutritionist

BP doesn't stop it

Doxycycline doesn't stop

Hi there,

I was just wanted to say that i had this problem for years from when i was 15 to about 30. it was only through trial and error that i solved it. it was really really terrible - when i would get a flare up it would start on my face and spread all over my back and front. every pore seemed to be full of these little blisters that would pop on their own. i had them tested and there was nothing in them.

eventually i found what caused it and it was 'erythromycin' - an antibiotic. but the trigger might be diffrerent for you. eventually i found through more trial and errors that find that Mupirocin (Bactroban or Centany) got rid of it. also a yeast free diet helped too.

The other thing i've noticed that helps stuff like this in more recent years - though i never get it as bad any more - is manuka oil - from the honey, but you can get the essential oil and dilute it.

cheers

MemberMember
(@laurdoggie2)

Posted : 01/07/2013 6:18 pm

Hey everyone - wanted to post for you all what cleared my Folliculitis! Literally not a million steps, 1 small thing.

I have looked at this site for years but never posted - so I figured if I could help somebody else out I should post! for those who don't want to read my short story - NYSTATIN cream is the answer. seriously. For those who do want to read my story - see below:

(you should read the story bc its an amazement!)

I have always suffered from mild acne ever since I could remember. But it didn't really affect me too much. Until recently.. Probably toward the end of August I started getting AWFUL breakouts on my CHEST which I seriously never had before.

The breakout on my chest looked as follows: SMALL white heads, literally everywhere.. and there typically was a little hair in the middle of the white head. I of course would squeeze them.. but it seriously made the situation a mILLION times worse. I literally could not understand it.

Of course thought it was acne and it would go away. Well it didn't. So I went to a dermatologist.. which was embarrassing but I needed to get this shit to go away! She prescribed me Epiduo Cream, Clyndamicin lotion, a Sodium Phosphate wash and DOXYCYCLINE. I was so glad to finally have prescription strength stuff in my hand.. I noticed a difference in my face IMMEDIATELY.. but my chest was not clearing up.. I seriously didn't get it. and it was seriously starting to depress me.

Suddenly I began researching.. why the hell do I keep getting this tiny white bumps all over my chest.. when I found out about Folliculitis. I read that there was all these different types of Folliculitis.. caused from a million different things and reasons and I was so confused but I felt like since the bumps on my chest werent responding to the acne treatment it couldn't be acne.

I got so frustrated so I remember taking the DOXYCYCLINE i was prescribed. (I wasn't taking them because I was afraid they would interfere with my birth control) so one night i took it and I remember waking up the next day and wanting to die! The bumps started spreading up to my NECK and I kept imagining if they went to my face. I knew I had to figure it out.. and immeditely stopped the doxy.

ANYWAY - I read about washing with head and shoulders.. I started to wash my chest with head and shoulders and I noticed a slight improvement.. more so that the bumps would dry out a lot faster but I would still get them. Thats sort of when I definitely figured out it wasn't acne.

SO I did some more research.. I was thinking wtf did I possibly do or what type of folliculitis I had or what caused this. ALSO I kept reading that folliculitis was itchy.. I didn't notice itching THAT much except one night in bed I kept itching my chest and it all sort of clicked for me.

I found out one of the causes for folliculitis was because of a YEAST OVERGROWTH and this can happen for many reasons, but has a lot to do with antibiotics and not taking medicine properly. Well I had definitely been an idiot and done that throughout my life. Made sense why the ACNE ANTIBIOTICS I WAS PRESCRIBED.. MADE MY CHEST SO MUCH WORSE.

SO Voila, I finally realized that I 100% had folliculitis and it had to have been from a yeast overgrowth. I remember I made a derm appointment and told them I HAVE FOLLICULITIS AND I NEED IT TAKEN CARE OF. Well I never even ended up having to go to the derm... I was sitting on my couch and I randomly decided to look in my medicine cabinet.. I was willing to try ANYTHING at this point and I saw this cream. it said NYSTATIN CREAM. it didn't have a definition.. so I googled it... I swear I finally found religion that day because when I googled it it said it was a cream to stop FUNGAL GROWTH ON THE SKIN. PROMINENTLY THE YEST FUNGUS. i was amazed. I could not believe that simply appeared in my house!

I put it on my chest.. afraid that lord knows what would happen but I swear I woke up the next morning and it was a miracle. I am not even kidding. The breakouts stopped and everything was SO less red.. i was seriously amazed. So I continued the treatment. it hasn't even been a month.. it seriously cleared up in a week. It even faded the hyperpigmentation I was left from all the old blisters!

SO SERIOUSLY.. I dont know how u get prescribed Nystatin cream or what it is typically used for.. but IT WORKS I AM TELLING YOU. YOU HAVE TO LOOK INTO IT IF YOU EVEN THINK YOU HAVE FOLLICULITIS CAUSED BY FUNGUS! (YEAST SPECIFICALLY)

:) Hope I was able to help somebody!