Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was wondering how long it takes for the drying/redness to subside when using benzoyl peroxide. I am using 2.5% strength, waiting approx. 10 minutes until it dries, and then applying some Nivea oil free moisturiser. I took this picture [link below] a few minutes ago (after using moisturiser). I started using BP 6 days ago. I have quite mild (but very persistent) chin acne. The product seems to work but the redness is almost as embarrassing as the acne!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/clipboard01enl.jpg/

post-164480-0-80504500-1326128287_thumb.

post-164480-0-80504500-1326128287_thumb.

If I don't use moisturiser it's very dry/flaky. I'm not sure what cleanser I use (writing this on a phone) but it's one that was recommended on here. I'm pretty sure this redness is normal, right?

Unless that redness goes away within a few minutes of you applying the BP, no. You're having a reaction to either the BP or one of the chemicals in the BP or possibly your moisturizer. It's not likely the moisturizer though. Have you been using that before starting the BP? Are you using a lot of BP? If so, try using a lot less initially. Your skin needs to adjust to BP. You should only wear it 30 minutes the first 3 days, 1 hour the next 3 days, 2 hours the next 3 days, 3 hours the following 3 days, and then you can start wearing it overnight. Only apply it once during the day to begin with. You are definitely having irritation. Keep us updated.