Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemmyjunebug

Nopalea Juice For Inflammation

I was sucked into watching an info commercial @ 2am this morning. It was all about the Nopalea Juice for inflammation. I was tired, couldn't find the remote, and yet intrigued? Inflammation causes problems. I get that. So, what is this magically juice you're selling? Yes, that is sarcasm. I'm never one to jump on to the next big thing...probably because in the past I was naive and did just that. Only to waste money and be truly deflated and disappointed. However, it's 2 in the morning and I can't sleep!!! arrr. So I google this darn juice and try to find out what the magic ingredient they are selling. From what I can gather it is : "PRICKLY PEAR JUICE" What the heckers is that? Has anyone heard of this? What are it's benefits? I'm more curious than willing to buy into it. Thoughts.....?

Juice from the prictly pear cactus. They sell the cactus in many supermarkets. It's one of many edible, very mucilagenous plants like aloe vera and okra. The mucilage from the plants helps restore the mucocal linings in your intestines. And it would also be high in quite a few ant-inflammatory nutrients. As are just about all plant foods that aren't seeds or refined to death until they are mostly sugar for one example.

Rather than buy into any hyped up product why not consume lots of real, whole plant foods? Pretty much every fruit, vegetable, herb, tea, etc to which you are not intolerant to, is anti-inflammatory.

Good to know!

So what is your stand on nightshade vegetables? I've been getting conflicting info regarding these? What they are? Why again should some not eat these? I already follow quite a strict diet. Not my choice. I'm gluten intolerant. I've been feeling amazing in the last 2 years after proper diagnosis. However, I don't want to cut out more than I already have too. Hands down the best choice I ever made was to question Dr.'s. Force them to understand that it's my body and I know something is not right! Pills,pills, and more pills. No thank you.

Good to know!

So what is your stand on nightshade vegetables? I've been getting conflicting info regarding these? What they are? Why again should some not eat these? I already follow quite a strict diet. Not my choice. I'm gluten intolerant. I've been feeling amazing in the last 2 years after proper diagnosis. However, I don't want to cut out more than I already have too. Hands down the best choice I ever made was to question Dr.'s. Force them to understand that it's my body and I know something is not right! Pills,pills, and more pills. No thank you.

Nightshades are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes. They are high in lectins which are in all foods but especially seeds and products from grain (a seed) fed animals. And nightshades. It's extremely common to be allergic to them. You have to figure out for yourself if you are intolerant as well.

If you know you are gluten intolerant, then you might want to avoid all grains and grain like seeds, plus nightshades for a while. I have recently come across a study that shows that potatoes and rice contain some lectins that cause the same type of harm to the digestive tract that gluten does.

And you might want to eat some mucin containing plant foods, take some probiotics and take other steps to heal the digestive tract. Then you might find you can add back in some of the more benign grains like oats and buckwheat, cooked tomatoes and peppers, etc. More info on good things for digestion: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne-condensed-han-t230714.html&view=findpost&p=2574119

Wowza! Thanks so much. Interesting information.

1. Tomatoes. How I love thee, how they hate me. I get tiny blisters in my mouth or around my mouth from mators'. Also, a fun fact they hate my stomach and lead to otehr problems, which lead to an uncomfortable sitting situation. TMI-I know.

2. Potatoes. I could take em or leave em'. All I feel after eating potatoes is tired.

3. Eggplant. easy-never been a fan.

4. Peppers. I like peppers more than any other vegetable. Hummus and peppers is my stand by everyday. So that could be sad.

5. Seeds. Stupid question? Are nuts considered a seeds? Pumpkin Seeds?

6. What do you look for in a Probiotic?

7. Regarding supplements...how does one choose supplements? Why choose one over another? Do you choose your dosing? I don't even take a multi-vitamin.

My apologies for all these questions.

4. Peppers. I like peppers more than any other vegetable. Hummus and peppers is my stand by everyday. So that could be sad.

5. Seeds. Stupid question? Are nuts considered a seeds? Pumpkin Seeds?

6. What do you look for in a Probiotic?

7. Regarding supplements...how does one choose supplements? Why choose one over another? Do you choose your dosing? I don't even take a multi-vitamin.

My apologies for all these questions.

4- yeah, ripe (red, yellow, orange) peppers and hummus was a favorite snack for a while there. But sweet peppers should be organic and they are expensive if you can even find them. Try jicama slices.

5)Yeah, grains, nuts and pumpkin seeds are all seeds. They contain varying amount of harmful lectins though. From what I've found, soy, peanuts, kidney beans and wheat/gluten grains are the most harmful lectin-wise. Then I found out that one article citing a study about rice which is normally considered pretty benign and potatoes also doing the same harm. But I think that's only an issue in people who are celiac or who have such a damaged digestive tract that they are sensitive to all lectins. If you haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease you probably will be able to eat most seeds except the most harmful, but you might want avoid them all for a few months while you heal, then add things back in little by little.

6) billions and billions of a variety of strains. There are a few in particular that are beneficial for healing intestinal hyperpermeability and they aren't found in the average supplement. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/page__view__findpost__p__2574119

7) Chose supplements that address your issues and for things that are lacking in your diet, hard to get in your diet, things your body is supposed to make but doesn't do well for various reasons including age, etc. Try to get as many nutrients as possible from food. But some things aren't possible. Vitamin D for example. If you haven't been getting sun, can't start now because of the season/work, then take D supplements now. At least 2,000 per day. There are whole food sources such as spirulina and chlorella powders. These are algae packed with vital nutrients.

I saw that commercial before, the juice is expensive and full of sugar! The betalains can be found in regular ol' beets, which I have a taste for in beet kvass. It's one of the few healthy things I've gotten her on board with :lol:

"Out of necessity comes opportunity. Opportunity for a healthier life."

Thank you for all valuable knowledge. I will definitely absorb it all and embrace it into my living routine. Healthy living.... who would of thought it would be so out of the normal activity of life?

"Out of necessity comes opportunity. Opportunity for a healthier life."

Thank you for all valuable knowledge. I will definitely absorb it all and embrace it into my living routine. Healthy living.... who would of thought it would be so out of the normal activity of life?

Only because we've evolved a very unnatural, unhealthy and wasteful lifestyle.

The infomercial you saw is about a wonderful product! I have been taking it for a few years now and notice a huge difference in my health with the betalins! (Really - how many people eat beets - and enough to get a mega dose of betalins?). It is a wonderful tasting product harvesting the fruit of the cactus of the sonoran desert. The extreme heat produces all natural anti-inflammatories! Love it - and would love to share testimonies with you. Please go to the website: www.TriVitaWorks.com or reply back and I will gladly help in getting info!

Susan