Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
littleitaly53

Cystic Acne, Birth Control, Antibiotics? Help Please!

Hiii,

So this is thefirst post I've left in a long long time but I am always on here. Anywho I am finally at my wits end and honestly i dont know what to do... heres the deal. I have both moderate acne (white heads back heads etc) and cystic acne, for the most part my moderate acne can be kept under control with my regimen and by drinking tons of water.... But my cystic acne, ugh never goes away! Absolutely horrible. That is, up until 2 week ago when I was put ob an antibiotic for an infection I had. And magically my moderate and cystic acne was COMPLETELY gone, I've never seen my face so clear! But obviously this did not last once I finished my prescription my acne came back and horribly. I'm also on tri cyclen Lo for birth control and I'm questioning getting off of it because I feel like it may not be helping.

So here's my question to you, what would i be able to do to keep the cystic crap gone with out using antibiotics daily? Also has anyone had the same problem with tri cyclen Lo and cystic acne? And lastly does anyone know of a vitamin or supplement that would help with this hormonal acne? I'm really at a low right now, I'm 20 and have been battling acne for so long I feel like there's nothing left for me to try....

**** correction im currently on orthro cyclen for birth control...I was on the other one years ago... Lol

have you gone to a dermatologist? if not, go and ask if they can prescribe you a vitamin or ask for spiro. About two years ago, I was getting really bad hormonal acne, (not cystic, although i did have 1 huge cyst, and is the reason why i went to the derm in the first place) and i took spiro, and it completely cleared me up. I was only on the drug for about 3 to 4 months, and then my derm took me off because she said its not good to be on a drug for too long, so i just used this face stuff that i got when i started spiro, and my face remained completely clear for a few months, and then when i did get pimples they were really small ones that went away in a day or so (absolutely no cysts or any large pimples),,and then in october i got one tiny cyst (it prob wasnt a cyst (i think anything without a whitehead is a cyst lol)) but other than that my face is still good. I still get pimples, but when i think back over two years ago to what my chin looked like then, and to what it looks like now, its completely 100 percent better. I'm not sure if maybe I'm just growing out of it (hopefully) or if it was the spiro. I hope this helps!

Hey, I used to battle with Cystic Acne a lot. I used to get at least 3 a month, sometimes more. I went on birth control hoping it would help, and it did not, it seemed that it was better when i was off of it, but i had to be on birth control so that i didn't get pregnant. So, i started reading up on some things that might help. I read that taking Omega-3 fish oil suppliments help alot with acne, especially the cyst kind. Also either taking a probiotic supplement and or eating a few servings of yogert per day can help with toxins in your body and help to lessen breakout. I can't say if they truly work, as i've only been taking the fish oil supplements for a few days, and eating yogert daily for the past couple weeks, and i have to say i've been doing the regemin the past few weeks as well. Altho i have seen a small improvement in my skin, i think it's from the BP. BUt taking these suppliments can't hurt i guess. I will continue to take these forever. lol. The probiotics are good for your digestion tract and for females in general, and the omega 3 fish oil is great for your hair and your heart, and skin and a bunch of things, so i'll continue. ALso i'd like to add that i take a prenatal vitaman every day as well becuase it has all the extra vitamins i need. Anyway i'm hoping that if i continue with the regimen and start supplimenting what i'm missing from the inside it will hopefully show on the outside. I'm willing to try anything at this point. ANyway, i hope i helped a little.

@ littleitaly53, i think you should definitely look into a derm, but a lot of times, they will only perscribe you things becuase the pharmecudical companies pay their bills so to speak. I think you should definitely give yogert a try and some multi vitamin and the omega 3 fatty acids. Those may not be things that your derm will suggest. My cousin battled with severe acne as a teenager, and i know her derm got her into a regimen that really helped. They put her on some sort of anti-biotic, a topical cream, and she also used a sulfur face wash. SHe's been clear ever since for the most part, and did not have to continue with that regimen for longer than a year. SO good luck!!!

I have come to conclusion that I have hormonal acne. I was on Ortho T-Lo for several years then went off of it. My skin immediately started to break out on my chin . I said to myself that maybe it is just my hormones adjusting to me not being on the birth control anymore. It started out with small pimples, then this huge painful cystsuddenly appeared under my skin that lasted for weeks. It was so painful I was taking asprin to try and ease the pain. I was telling myself, ok still a reaction from me not being on birth control, but once it pops it will be gone and ill be good. I was wrong, when it did pop something happened and it spread mulitple disgusting pustules and zits all around the area. It was bad. I ended up panicing and rushing to a emergency medical place so i can get medication and birthcontrol, cause i didnt want to go to school looking like that. Within a matter of weeks my face has cleared up dramaticly and I only have left over dark spots now. When I was younger I used to have it alot worse all over my face, but now it seems to concenrate on my chin but it gets really nasty where i dont even want to eat.

My skin got a little bit worse when i started taking the birthcontrol again but it cleared up really quickly. I only have dark spots now, relived but depressed at the same time. I was really hoping i had grown out of it. :(