Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StephenMcl

Diet Has Nothing To Do With Acne

The OP's way of thinking is very flawed.

OP: we have acne because we are different from others, period. What that difference is remains to be explained. To say that this difference CANNOT be related to what we consume, is baseless. What makes you breakout, if related to food, is because there is something different about you.

For me, lack of sleep = poor digestion, which makes me very intolerant to certain foods in such conditions. For others it's different. Acne isn't the same for everyone.

Hi everyone, i'm just posting to say that, there is no possible way diet can be linked to acne and i'l tell you my experiences.

About october time i went on diet, hardly eating anything, lost about 3 stone, when i was only trying to see if diet had anything to do with my skin, which didn't change during the course of my experiment (October - December). During this time i was also working nightshift and ate healthy during the nightshifts, Apples, pears, homemade soup, water etc. My skin had absolutely no change during these 2 months, and i still got spots. Also other people that i worked with that were around the same age were eating all the junk food, microwaved junk, cola etc and their skin was clear!. This is my reasoning behind my statement that diet cannot cause acne. Also some people i know eat junk all day and have perfect skin. So if diet was causing it, why do they have perfect skin eating junk and i have horrible skin eating healthy?.

This is why i believe that diet has nothing to do with it, and i used to believe that diet was the cause, but due to these facts stated, i no longer believe it. I want you to tell me your opinions on this and why some people can have perfect skin, surely it is not down to genetics, which is the only other thing i can think of because if it was down to hormones, then my friends that eat junk all the times hormones would be causing them to get acne aswell, which it doesn't, this is my opinion on why i believe now that diet has nothing to do with it.

Diet affects acne thru hormones. Food on its own doesn't cuase acne, however certain foods can aggravate acne. If your body is running absolutely perfectly, then it's not possible for food to affect your acne. However if something in your system is off balance ( immune system, liver problems, candida, fluctuating hormones , if u have predisposition to acne and etc.) then food can definitely aggravate the condition. But eating healthy will probably not cure your acne completely ( if it's severe cystic acne). It's not only diet, it's also stress levels and emotional state, lifestyle, gens and etc..

You keep maintaining healthy diet tho, becuase it's beneficial for your overall health, don't go back to soda and gluten and etc. Don't be ridiculous about your diet either. Eat 80 percent healthy and 20 percent for your soul. You don't want to go from skin disorder to eating disorder.

This!

But saying that diet has nothing to do with acne is just naive. Of course it does, but it's just one big piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Natashagirl

Settle down people, we are ALL here for one reason, we suffer from ACNE. Take a chill pill and be nice to each other, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they may not be right but just give them the benefit of the doubt and some respect and listen, regarless of wether u agree or not.

It affects some people, and it doesn't affect others.

Case closed, bring in the dancing lobsters.

Comments like this just make me want to tear my hair out in frustration.

No, you're wrong. IT EFFECTS EVERYONE!

And people like you make me want to tear my hair out in frustration.

You simply do not have the authority to speak for everyone and you have no freaking business telling us we're wrong about our own acne triggers. I think we know ourselves better than you. I don't care how many years you've spent "talking" about diet.

You're entitled to your opinion, but you need to stop being so rude. It's really obnoxious.

You are the one that was being rude. I feel the same frustration with people who come to the Nutrition and Holistic board, which is loaded with evidence on what, how and why diet and lifestyle affect acne and make such outrageous statements. You obviously didn't read any one else's post and are obviously not here to participate in learning.

It is not possible for diet to not affect your acne. It affects everything going on in your body. Whether or not you have other triggers and whether or not you have noticed the impact of your diet. You might have other triggers. No one here has said that alone affects acne. But you are wrong that diet doesn't affect you and your acne.

It affects your hormones. It affects the function of the various organs involved in managing hormones. It affects the formation of normal healthy skin cells and how they die and shed. And most of all, it affects chronic inflammation which is the root cause of most health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, etc. And acne and other skin issues. Authority and opinion have nothing to do with it.

Edited by alternativista

To be fair, I don't think that saying "acne affects some people and not others" is an outrageous statement. I mean, some people DO clear up their acne without changing their diets at all, and some (lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) people can eat utter crap and have glowing skin. I also have to wonder why studies haven't been able to make a clear line between diet and acne. It seems we're all affected differently and to different degrees by food. I think it's great to emphasize how important diet is, because so many people don't know about it, but I don't think we can speak in absolutes.

And if you are absolutely convinced that food affects acne, why rip into someone who says that diet affects some people's acne? They're basically on your side. With all the people in the world who don't believe in the food/acne link, why alienate someone who believes it, just not to your extent?

To be fair, I don't think that saying "acne affects some people and not others" is an outrageous statement. I mean, some people DO clear up their acne without changing their diets at all, and some (lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) people can eat utter crap and have glowing skin. I also have to wonder why studies haven't been able to make a clear line between diet and acne. It seems we're all affected differently and to different degrees by food. I think it's great to emphasize how important diet is, because so many people don't know about it, but I don't think we can speak in absolutes.

And if you are absolutely convinced that food affects acne, why rip into someone who says that diet affects some people's acne? They're basically on your side. With all the people in the world who don't believe in the food/acne link, why alienate someone who believes it, just not to your extent?

Because they are spreading misinformation. It makes no difference whether or not someone else can clear their skin by other means, or has other triggers or anything else you've written above. Diet still always affects acne just like it affects everything else to do with your health. It is not possible for it not to. That is absolute.

We are all affected differently because our bodies decide to do slightly different things with the resources it has. And we don't all eat the same. Some get more nutrients that counter the affects than others. And other lifestyle factors like physical activity, stress, etc also have an impact and affect how strict your diet needs to be. But never the less, insulin still stimulates the production of other hormones. Excess insulin means excess other hormones. In everyone. Elevated insulin and sugar are inflammatory adding to the various things people do that cause chronic inflammation. In everyone. And that's just a couple of the ways that diet affects acne. Various nutrients affect how the body deals. Other foods are inflammatory. etc.

And those excess hormones and the chronic inflammation does harm that much more important than acne, btw.

Edited by alternativista
You are the one that was being rude. I feel the same frustration with people who come to the Nutrition and Holistic board, which is loaded with evidence on what, how and why diet and lifestyle affect acne and make such outrageous statements. You obviously didn't read any one else's post and are obviously not here to participate in learning.

Thanks alterna... exactly.

Sorry if I come off "rude" but in reality I have a lot of wisdom that could help people and seeing this stuff over and over and over and over in the diet and holistic forum gets old. If you guys were to search my posts you'd see that over the last few years 99% of my posts have been in this forum. If you (anyone) was to start a thread about the wonders of topicals in the section devoted to that I wouldn't come in there and start telling you about diet. But people coming in here and saying diet has nothing to do with acne is just bordering on trolling imo... because it does. No matter if you never found the right diet for you or followed it long enough, it does. No matter if your acne has other causes too, (and I'm sure it does)--it DOES! No matter if your acne was controlled by a topical, it still does.

Diet has to do with everything. I don't know why some of you guys can't see that. It's impossible for it not to. Our bodies are created by our diet. But go ahead, get angry if you want. I've been there. I feel your frustration and if you want to shoot the messenger, go right ahead.

You're going to trick people into OBSESSING over diet and what they can and can't eat, ruining their social outings and making them miserable

(one of you wrote that and later deleted it but it already sent to my email so I'll respond anyway)

I'm sorry your perspective on what I'm trying to do here is pretty warped. I'm honestly trying to do the opposite of this. I want people to see that eating healthy doesn't mean social outings will be "ruined"... I'm trying to help people learn that you can live a healthy diet avoiding crap food and thrive in every way, not miss out. I never obsess over diet or what I can or can't eat, I eat with joy, every day of my life. That is why I'm here, to share that with others.

But thanks for your negativity I'm sure it'll bring you far.

You're going to trick people into OBSESSING over diet and what they can and can't eat, ruining their social outings and making them miserable

(one of you wrote that and later deleted it but it already sent to my email so I'll respond anyway)

I'm sorry your perspective on what I'm trying to do here is pretty warped. I'm honestly trying to do the opposite of this. I want people to see that eating healthy doesn't mean social outings will be "ruined"... I'm trying to help people learn that you can live a healthy diet avoiding crap food and thrive in every way, not miss out. I never obsess over diet or what I can or can't eat, I eat with joy, every day of my life. That is why I'm here, to share that with others.

But thanks for your negativity I'm sure it'll bring you far.

People who can't learn to eat well without obsessing need to deal with their emotional health. But then, diet affects that too...

I generally avoid this board because you guys are all high and mighty about doing it the "natural way."

Sometimes that doesn't work for people. I'm not new here, I've done all the diets. I'm just informing you that they actually (sadly) don't affect some people.

I'm going to keep eating my favorite foods and using Epiduo, and you do your thing. I just wanted people out there to know there's more than one way and not to panic if dieting themselves to death doesn't work. That there is alternatives. In the end, we just want people to be informed, right?

Or do you have to have it your way?

Don't bother responding. I didn't read the other ones either.

Don't bother responding. I didn't read the other ones either.

What works for people is worth getting high and mighty over, imo. BP seems to work for you, so you're willing to defend it. Topicals were always such a guessing game for me: "oh I wonder where this cyst came from and why I have new spots every day" can become such a frequent thought process that it's just kind of dulls and is always there, in the back of your mind. It's nice not to deal with anymore and to instead think, "Oh man, I have a bump under my skin. It's probably from the ______ I had yesterday because I've been suspecting that to be a problem". Stop eating said thing for awhile, go back to my nutrient-dense, non-blood-sugar-spiking, delicious meals. Reintroduce it when I want to see if it affects me again. Acne, actually, is more or less a guessing game. You have no choice but to participate but it remains a decision whether or not you're going be an active player (which it sounds like you are, it's just different from this forum's mantra) or have fun while playing. :)

Mmmm, lobster.

Perhaps I'm taking this out of context, but I always thinking people getting "high and mighty" as being self-righteous and bullies, in a way. Can't we share our experiences and ideas without being pushy? I think so. I've found that most of the people on acne.org are just trying to be helpful, and get some help themselves. MOST people here are kind and many are quite knowledgable. Because I've learned quite a bit from the people here and am encouraged to do some learning on my own.

For me, BP made huge pores in my skin. I am now using Differin on my nose for the black heads and huge huge pores BP caused but it looks a mess. So I am doing the eating healthy thing and hoping it helps some how....

Guys please stop fighting, if we all had the same opinions in life, life would be rather boring.

I just wanted people out there to know there's more than one way and not to panic if dieting themselves to death doesn't work. That there is alternatives. In the end, we just want people to be informed, right?

Dieting to death doesn't work. And no one should be panicking. Nevertheless. Diet always affects acne. It is not possible for it not to. It is ridiculous to say otherwise.

And the same diet habits that clear skin also prevents/reduces/reverses most of the health conditions this sickly pill popping culture suffers from and retards aging. You want to prevent wrinkles don't you? You want to be free of aches and pains? diabetes? heart disease? Cancer? Alzheimer's and dementia?

Perhaps I'm taking this out of context, but I always thinking people getting "high and mighty" as being self-righteous and bullies, in a way. Can't we share our experiences and ideas without being pushy? I think so. I've found that most of the people on acne.org are just trying to be helpful, and get some help themselves. MOST people here are kind and many are quite knowledgable. Because I've learned quite a bit from the people here and am encouraged to do some learning on my own.

We do share our ideas and experiences. All day every day. Statements like 'diet has nothing to do with acne' is not sharing. He/she didn't come here to share. Everything the OP said further illustrated his mistaken understanding of acne, hormones, genetics, health, diet, etc. Wrong information needs to be corrected.

Edited by alternativista

I don't really see where me or anyone else was being "high and mighty" either.... it's like she just said we want to correct incorrect statements because people DO read these boards and they DO take things they see to heart. I know because I was one of those people who was struggling and struggling and struggling to find an answer (I think I've been on these boards since back in 02 or something, maybe even earlier). It's dangerous when some people (not saying anyone in this thread just something I've seen again and again) come in and say eat whatever you want! Live it up! If I had followed that attitude I'd be dead now. And if many others follow it they will continue to suffer, even if their condition isn't as serious as mine... I don't want that.

It has nothing to with scaring people. I'm sorry if the reality seems harsh, but it's still the reality. You can't eat a diet of shit and expect a body made of wildflowers. It just doesn't work that way.

I don't really see where me or anyone else was being "high and mighty" either.... it's like she just said we want to correct incorrect statements because people DO read these boards and they DO take things they see to heart. I know because I was one of those people who was struggling and struggling and struggling to find an answer (I think I've been on these boards since back in 02 or something, maybe even earlier). It's dangerous when some people (not saying anyone in this thread just something I've seen again and again) come in and say eat whatever you want! Live it up!

Yes, such as a recently very frequent poster who seems to have disappeared now that insists that his diet has nothing to do with his acne. But his hormones are so screwed up he can't have sex without breaking out. But, no, diet (which has a huge impact on hormones, especially the hormones involved in his having sex) has no impact on him. So, he eats whatever he wants and doesn't have sex.

It's a common problem if people not looking deep enough. Sort of like when a doctors says, oh your stomach problems are due to IBS, take this drug. But they never stop to think of the cause of the IBS. Same with hormones. Oh, my hormones are out of whack, that must be the cause of my problem! But doesn't anyone stop to ask WHY they're hormones are out of whack? I'm not saying it's all diet, but there are causes, there has to be.

Anyway, I'd take great sex over crap junk food any day!

Edited by dejaclairevoyant

If u guys dont stop figtning, theyw ill shut this post down.

CHILL ok. And stick to the topic.

This is the topic. Read the title. And it looks like the fighters are gone now. At least the last one said she/he wouldn't be back. And the OP only made one additional post after having obviously not read anything. He obviously isn't interested in learning anything.

Everyone else has been having a pretty good discussion. Other then all those remarks like yours about fighting and those accusing people of bullying and being high and mighty. They are off topic.

I'm really happy that people like Rachel joined this topic, asking questions and getting them answered. That's what this board is for.

Edited by alternativista

We do share our ideas and experiences. All day every day. Statements like 'diet has nothing to do with acne' is not sharing. He/she didn't come here to share. Everything the OP said further illustrated his mistaken understanding of acne, hormones, genetics, health, diet, etc. Wrong information needs to be corrected.

I don't disagree. In fact, I think I completely agree. Most people on here are a great source of information and do their homework. Others (ahem OP) will present a theory as fact with little evidence to back up their claims. But I think those people, the ones with chronic diarrhea of the mouth, are in the minority. And there's always someone that's done more research that will jump in and say "that's crazy and here's why" and site their sources.

U continued arguing Alternativista.

Its a great topic, so lets enjoy it hey.

Im trying to stick to a strick diet, no sugar, dairy breads etc, its really hard.

How does everyone here stick to their specific diet?

Do u ever cheat and eat bad foods eg lollies cake etc?

U continued arguing Alternativista.

Its a great topic, so lets enjoy it hey.

Im trying to stick to a strick diet, no sugar, dairy breads etc, its really hard.

How does everyone here stick to their specific diet?

Do u ever cheat and eat bad foods eg lollies cake etc?

It takes a lot of time to get used to and you have to eat healthy food that taste good to you.

It took me a long time to get off cheese and bread but, now I don't crave it at all anymore..I used to be addicted to it, now I can look at it when my family is eating it, and not have any desire for it.

I don't cheat because I think about how depressed I was with acne and I just don't think it's worth it, plus I don't crave cake anymore because I get my sweet tooth fixed with a fruit salad recipe I like.

No I never cheat but I took a lot of time learning to make better foods. The key is to just have a collection of so many awesome meals that you never have to think about the bad meals again. It takes some work.

It's really not that hard though. When I think about what I ate before it was really only about ten different meals or so. You know, taco bell one night, pizza another, burgers another, etc. All I really did was gather that amount of good meals so I have variety and it's really no different. Actually, I probably have more foods to choose from now than I ate before my diet. So my diet isn't as limited as it seems.

I don't like how OP is spreading the whole "Diet has nothing to do with acne" when it has everything to do with acne in almost all cases. The reason why it bothers me is because I was a sufferer for a looong time, and have ruined my eyesight on accutane, and my life sucked getting 50 pimples a day. What has stopped me from clearing when I was on the edge of suicide was people saying "Diet has nothing to do with acne" which closed my minds to these unorthodox ways, it's such ignorance.

StephenMcl It seems your views are biased only from your own personal findings, it's really hard to measure improvements without a proper elimination diet. It's not about adding foods, it's about taking out foods till your clear then if you choose to reenter them back into your life to experiment if they cause or not cause acne. It's a very logical approach to troubleshoot what the cause of the problem is. I recommend the Wai diet, which is backed by scientific references, the creators have no financial gain, actually they have no ad revenue or nothing to cover the costs of webhost, and you don't buy nothing, or get sucked into buying anything. the diet is hard and takes about two weeks and could take more, but you do see improvements after about 8 days. I know this diet goes against the high sugar intake rule said here but from my experiences as I understood from wai (don't quote me) having you blood sugar levels out of balance can cause many problems, acne too. The key is balance which is a sugar:fat ratio of 2grams of sugar: 1 grams of fat and if left out of balance health problems can arise and sugar and fat appear to be the culprits but neither is not.

You guys, what you need to realize is: we (our bodies) are a chemistry lab. We react to everything we come in contact with. Just like in chemistry, if we swish it around in the bottle, it could react, if we add another chemical it could react or it could stall until another chemical or two is added. We react to EVERYTHING, and depending on what our base is: e.i. our genes, is how our reactions will unfold throughout our life. So, just like if you shake a soda, or swish a chemical in a bodle it reacts, exercising like stretching, yoga, running, massaging, reflexolgoy, chiropractic treatment all have an effect on your body and can either work for you or against you depending on where your body is at physiologically. Same thing with air, what you inhale effects your body, which is how you can kill people in the gas chamber or with bombs and so on, but we also slowly poison our selves with pesticides and herbacides, etc. that we breath in, perfumes, commercial air fresheners, candles fumes, etc. Those are all poisons our bodies have to filter out and not everyone's physiology has the capacity to filter them. Topicals also have an effect on us, by the perfumes we spray on, to the lotions with chemicals, to make up, think about all that you apply on your body that you have no idea what is in it. If you can't eat it, you probably shouldn't be applying it on because it will get into your blood system and effect you. For instance, if what we applied onto our skin did not effect us, then why do we have birth control patches or patches to quit smoking and so on. And lastly, diet: what you put in your body will surely have an effect on you, pills and poisons are not the exception, anything that you put into your body will have an effect, think of that chemistry bottle with the base already in waiting for you to add other elements in it. Think of the body's reactions this way: when you take a mediation, it will either give you a positive reaction or a negative reaction. Sometimes it seems like the medication is not doing anything, but then you add another medication on top of it, and it could send you to the ER in some cases. ....by the way, did anyone watch that video from page 2? It was about a medical doctor who was diagnosed with MS. She did the best treatments offered for 7 years and got increasingly disabled. She stated that in medical school she never learned about nutrition, but about pharmaceuticals, and that it wasn't until she changed her diet and lifestyle that she went from being bed ridden to being active yet again. Diet is a humongous part of your life, one that will set you up for success or failure.

Edited by bflychic