Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thrillpink

Foundation Never Looks Good

Hi,

I have a really annoying problem with foundation, it always looks dry and flaky on my skin. But my skin is oily (not so much anymore now I'm on accutane, but not dry either) and I cleanse and moisturize before putting it on. I've tried applying it with my fingers, a stippling brush, a regular foundation brush and a sponge, but it just never looks good.

I also have really big pores on my nose and on the skin next to it and there it looks réally dry and flaky and almost worse than without foundation.

My friends who wear foundation always have this lovely dewy finish. Do you guys maybe have some tips or does someone recognize this problem?

Oh I use estee lauder double wear btw, but i've used other foundations in the past and i get the same problem.

The problem might be your moisturizer- does it have an spf in it? I found some spf moisturiser or sunscreens make my foundation look awful and chalky and just stand out instead of blending in. You could try a primer on top pf your moisturizer or switch your moisturizer altogether for one that looks better under foundation. I use Paula's choice skin mattefying lotion with spf 15. It makes my make up looks WAY better now.

The problem might be your moisturizer- does it have an spf in it? I found some spf moisturiser or sunscreens make my foundation look awful and chalky and just stand out instead of blending in. You could try a primer on top pf your moisturizer or switch your moisturizer altogether for one that looks better under foundation. I use Paula's choice skin mattefying lotion with spf 15. It makes my make up looks WAY better now.

Hmm no it doesn't have spf in it. I have a few different moisturizers, but with foundation on it all looks the same.

I don't use a primer though, I always thought it would make the skin dryer and therefore look even worse, but maybe I can try one. Any recommendations?

Hi, I have the same problem as you a lot now that I've started acne meds. I've found that exfoliating before you put on your makeup helps a lot, since it's sloughing off dead skin cells that are just sitting on top of your skin. As soon as you're done washing your face, put on your moisturizer to better lock in the moisture. And finally, a primer might help you a lot.

I also have issues with getting foundation to look good. I find that mixing foundation (Clinique Acne Solutions) with moisturiser (Cetaphil) gives a good dewy all over coverage without looking dry or mask like. Then I go around with a small foundation brush touching up marks and redness.

1. Exfoliate

2. Replenish moisture levels (hydrating serums are great, then SPF)

3. Use a primer!!! :)

4. Set with moisturizing setting spray, i.e. Clarins or Jane Iredale

Longwear foundations usually tend to be *more* drying... so they might not be your friend. But if you really need the coverage I'm sure you can find ways to work around it.

Thanks for the tips girls!

I'm not really exfoliating right now, it kind of hurts (my skin is quite senstive because of the accutane). I am using Dan's AHA twice a week, so I guess that's exfoliating as well...

I'm definitely going to try a primer! And mixing a bit of moisturizer with my foundation might help too, definitely going to try that out :)

And yes, I needddd the coverage :P