Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soul2quz

Facials-- What Has Been Your Experience?

After coming home for winter break my face has started to break out again, most recently its been at its worse. A friend of mine recommended facials but I've never had one done. I've looked into some places and I found a great spa that concentrates mostly on facials and skin treatments. It has glowing reviews on Yelp with people saying its been really helpful for their skin. I just wanted to know if its a good idea or not. If you've gotten facials what has your experience been like? Would you recommend it or not?

I am esthetician and I love giving facials. Just make sure your esthetician (and yourself) are clear on the results you hope to see, that you fill out a detailed consultation form, and have realistic expectations. :) It's extremely relaxing and your skin should look and feel much better. Go with good reviews and be cautious.

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of facials. The few times I've had one, the products left my skin feeling weird and the extractions are awful- I was left with swollen lumps for days.

I love Silkpeels! It was amazing to see the all the gunk that she had sucked off my face. (I asked to see it-gross I know.) I get mine done @ my derms office. Though, I'm sure they offer this at some spa's. It was gentle even for my sensitive skin. It was determined by the tip she used. My face was not at all irritated. It looked a tad red(as if I took a long,hot,shower) and lasted for about 30 minutes after the procedure. I had a pimple on my chin that would not go away like forever and it came to a head. Literally that night, which was nice. I would absolutely recommend. http://www.silkpeel.com/

I think facials differ from person to person. I've gotten facials before in the past and honestly, I usually don't notice THAT much of a difference when they're over / the days following a facial. When you really think about it, all they're doing is squeezing your pores/existing pimples and putting various creams and lotions on your face. AKA, something you could just do at home for a fraction of the price.

Also, I had a very bad experience with a facial last year. The days following it, I broke out pretty badly, cystic pimples and everything. It took a little while for everything to get back to normal. I don't think I'll be getting facials anymore.

^ I'm sorry you had a bad experience with facials... it's unfortunate. But it is kind of denigrating to say that what we do has no value. I got an intensive education and a license based on my knowledge of skin and how to treat it. We do more than rub creams on.

I got a hydra facial and they did a few moisturizing/exfoliating things to my face, it felt great. However, they failed to tell me that extractions were part of the procedure. My mom has a hydra facial every few months just for healthy skin so she signed me up for one. Anyway, back to the story. All of a sudden she started digging into my skin and pulling things out! It hurt, but she did a nice job and I didn't see many marks when I woke up the next morning. I think it helped, but for some reason I had a bad break out 3 days later. I'd like to think that it was not the hydra facial's fault... My parents spent $200 on it!

My personal opinion - not worth it.

I love Silkpeels! It was amazing to see the all the gunk that she had sucked off my face. (I asked to see it-gross I know.) I get mine done @ my derms office. Though, I'm sure they offer this at some spa's. It was gentle even for my sensitive skin. It was determined by the tip she used. My face was not at all irritated. It looked a tad red(as if I took a long,hot,shower) and lasted for about 30 minutes after the procedure. I had a pimple on my chin that would not go away like forever and it came to a head. Literally that night, which was nice. I would absolutely recommend. http://www.silkpeel.com/

Intersting, I've never heard of silk peels, I'll def. look into it. Thanks!

Californiaestie: Thanks! I think if I go in for a facial, I will def. do with out the extractions to see how my skin does. Does every facial include extractions?

I'm thinking of getting an acne facial--- are those too intense for the first one? I want to even out my skin a bit, get out blackheads, and have my skin be more hydrated.

Thanks everyone for the input!

You are very welcome!

Yes, most acne facials do include extractions so make sure to request that there aren't any and ask for a longer mask or massage time. :)

Ask for a combo facial- brightening and acne! Any esthetician worth their salt should accommodate your requests.