Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nycguy83

How Can Cetaphil Be Noncomedogenic?

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which has a comedogenicity rating of 5/5 and Propylene Glycol with a rating of 4/5... how can Cetaphil be noncomedogenic?

I understand grades 1-2 are non to mildly comedogenic, but 3 to 5 are significantly comedogenic.

I have been using cetaphil gentle skin cleanser on my face for years, after having it recommended by a Derm, and it does seem to be the mildest skin cleanser I've used. I use the regular cleanser- the facial version seemed harsher and had more ingredients.

But I have been doing more research to try to stamp out my acne for good, and came across this list of comedog. ratings, so what is going on here?

I understand the natural approach of no soap or cleanser at all might work for some, and might be closer to what our ancestors dealt with. But they also didn't have to contend with pollution or other environmental factors we face that might necessitate some type of cleanser. They also didn't have toothpaste or dental floss and their teeth usually fell out by middle age- while I think "natural" is often preferable, I don't think a return to the stone age is the panacea for all our troubles.

Propylene glycol is not comedogenic - it's a small simple diol. In fact, it's often used as a carrier/vehicle in comedogenicity tests!

As for the Gentle Skin Cleanser, the SLS is at an incredibly low concentration compared to how its normally used. This evidenced by the lack of foaming. SLS is considered comedogenic because it irritates/causes inflammation, rather than actually "clogging" the pore. Without it, there would be no cleaning going on at all. The tiny amount is what makes it "gentle". At this concentration, its problematic qualities are inconsequential for *most* people, which is demonstrated by the religious following Cetaphil has.

Personally, I can't stand that stuff ... it feels disgusting, and does hardly anything. But then again, my skin is like iron - my acne isn't an issue of external irritation. What I really don't understand is why the directions suggest you just wipe it off, rather than rinsing clean!

Ok thank you, I figured there was an explanation, but SLS is the third listed non-water ingredient so I didn't know if it was a dilution issue or not. I will probably stick with the cetaphil, unless I try experimenting with nothing but water at some point...

It also has much to do with how they formulate the products... and non-comedogenicity isn't necessarily regulated.

But that said... I also dislike the Gentle Skin Cleanser.

I just started using the gentle cleanser because my previous cleanser was too irritating and caused burns on my face :( I often wonder if the cleanser is actually cleaning my skin, but for now I will give it the benefit of the doubt...at least for the next couple months, then I will reevaluate the whole cleanser thing. I do have to say that it is very gentle and the mild chemical burns are going away.