Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
japjeev

Can Drinking Water Moisturize And Hydrate Skin?

I noticed in school when i dont drink water at all. i feel like my skin starts to look ugly and dry. So i was wandering if i drink good amount of water in school. will it be great for my skin and moisturize and hydrate it?

Edited by japjeev

Yes of course it will! Water helps move vitamins and minerals around the body. Lacking water will cause your skin to look really dry. I try to drink around 64 0z of water a day or more. Also, water helps with the digestive tract.

Yes, water hydrates your skin. Drink a lot of it everyday for a month. But dry skin can be caused by the things you put on your face, face washes/exfoliators, wind, the cold, a lot of factors. But i think for you it would have to be because of what products you are using on your face. Most people with an acne issue seem to use a lot of products that are completly unneccessary and put your skin in a much worse condition. Avoid face washes, they don't "clean" your face, they make it easier for bacteria to grow on your face actually.

I hope you take my advice

Not directly. Skin does not require that much water, sebum and sweat make up for the faces natural moisture. Being hydrated is good for obvious reasons. One thing to notice in school is the air conditioning units and vents. I remember my school was dry as hell.

75%-80% of our body is made out of water and that will surely help make your skin hydrated and moisturized. Water helps but it is not a moisturizer :)

Not directly. Skin does not require that much water, sebum and sweat make up for the faces natural moisture. Being hydrated is good for obvious reasons. One thing to notice in school is the air conditioning units and vents. I remember my school was dry as hell.

This. Staying properly hydrated is obviously good for you, but if you're dehydrated enough that it's making your skin dry, you'd have a lot of other, much worse symptoms. Dry skin usually means that your skin isn't shedding fast enough, though it can also be more directly related to the lipid content of the epidermal intercellular matrix. Skin cells should desquamate (fall off) long before they get far enough away from epidermis to be noticeably dry. However, even this desquamation process requires some moisture - which usually comes from the outside environment. This is why humidity is a big factor.

When your skin is getting enough moisture, the skin cells shed in microscopic pieces - which is why you don't directly notice it. Dead skin cells that are too dry to fall off properly will appear scaly, "ashy", or powdery white. This is more obvious on dark colored skin. Most of the shedding takes place in shower, though it is also happening continuously.

Central air conditioning and especially central heating dry out the air considerably, and are often a primary cause of obviously dry skin. You can add a humidifier at home, though this may be impractical.

Using a simple moisturizer regularly, preferably right after your shower (to prevent the surface moisture from evaporating to the air). Moisturizers almost always contain glycerin which literally pulls moisture out of the air, or from lower layers of the epidermis. They also usually contain oils or fatty alcohols, which create an artificial moisture barrier, reducing water loss. They can also include lots of other "water-binding" agents, like hyaluronic acid or sodium PCA. More "state-of-the-art" formulations will contain other "natural moisturizing factors", like sphingolipids, ceramides, and other fun stuff.

Point being, staying hydrated is more like a pre-requisite to prevent dry skin. There are a lot of other components of the water barrier function that are more directly modifiable.

Edited by greentiger87