Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mount_copenhagen

Regimen And Workout

Hi :) I have been on the regimen for 8 weeks. So far it has gone okay (still a bit dry, not acne free yet), but it will come. I just wonder if it is okay after working out to take a bath inbetween applications (say like 6-7 hours after an application), without it will harm the regimen?

You're going to need to wash your face before and after your workout no matter what time you do it. You want your face clean when you're sweating away.

First thing in the morning or evening before your evening medication application is best, but if you find you have to workout smack dab in the middle of the day. Wash, workout, and if you wear BP during the day, an additional light application won't hurt. It may actually clear you up faster. Working out is great for your skin. Just keep hydrated and make sure you're washing before and after. If body acne is a problem, shower or wash your body afterwards as well.

Dan actually recommends that you change nothing when you workout. Sweat is unrelated to acne, so sweating during a workout should not affect your skin, unless you are working out within an hour after doing the regimen because the bp is still active at that point. If you take a bath, I would suggest not wetting your face unless you are doing the regimen right after. Sweat from your workout won't affect your acne, but over washing will. Good luck.

Despite what Dan recommends, sweat will affect your acne. Additionally, BP will sweat off into your eyes if you sweat during your workout. I normally don't break out on my back, but if I sweat and don't put a clean shirt/bra on afterwards, i will break out where the sweat was trapped. If your workout includes swimming, cleaning the chlorine off immediately is also important as chlorine can be aggravating to acne. If you're going to be outside, put waterproof sunscreen on.

Edited by Ripon10

"Theoretically" jojoba oil won't break you out either, but it does to many, many people. If you're using a gentle cleanser, even Dan's, you will have no problem washing your face. An extra application of BP is a plus for those will moderate breakouts. Sweat glands and oil glands may be two different organisms, but they're both right there on your face and oh so close together. Sweat will pick up any oils on your face and combine.

I work out during the day and would NEVER under ANY circumstances wash my face during the day! I just get changed and get on with the rest of my day. I then have a shower at night time when it's actually time to wash my face. You shouldn't wash your face more than twice a day even if it's really oily. Preferably not less than 10 hours apart but ideally 12. I've never had any problems as a result of this. If your problems are on your body however, I do not have the answer to this!

Working out hasn't caused me to break out and I never wash my face after. In fact, I'm only washing my face in the morning now after being clear for a few months and haven't had any flare ups. I would say it may be different for everyone though.