Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

BP causing LONG LASTING red marks

theres been mention of this in some recent posts but i thought id dedicate one to it.

before starting the reg, I had no scaring in the form of red marks. My spots always healed up leaving, at worst, some slight discolouration. Now, since using BP, the spots ive had have left what seem like perminant red marks.

One on my cheek is particularily prominant.

I never really feared spots as such, as i knew they would eventually heal up. Now im scarred stiff of gettin new ones as i think they will remain for a long long time.

Im very put off BP right now. What are peoples thoughts on this?

ok

ive been reading around since starting this and its obvious bp slows down healing to an incredible degree, also potentially causing scarring.

I read obviously that it slows down healing before starting but i didnt know to such an extent. Healing is almost non-existing.

Is BP really the way to go? looking at these red marks kinda makes me wish i hadnt started using it, but after a month and 1 tube of dans stuff i dont really wanna give up.

can anyone lend there experience of V long healing times due to BP and the eventual outcome. I'm thinking its only some people who get the dramatically slowed healing from the stuff.

thanks

I don't believe that bp causes red marks...I believe that pimples cause red marks. Red marks are not scars they are post inflammatory hyperpigmentation left over from healing acne lesions. The regimen has drastically reduced the number of red marks I have...because it has drastically reduced the number of breakouts I have. I do think bp can slightly slow the healing process which is why I don't use it or any other meds to spot treat.

Yea, I believe that it does slow down the red mark healing process, if your smearing it all over your face all the time. Botchla's regimen, you wash it off after like 60 seconds, and in two weeks, alone with taking Erythromycin and using that Herbal Logix stuff, I've seen HUGE improvements, where as for 3 months fromthe end of last school year to all summer on the Dan's regimen I saw no progress with red marks. I think you need to let your skin breath, and not have it coated with creme 24/7.

ive been reading around since starting this and its obvious bp slows down healing to an incredible degree, also potentially causing scarring.

I read obviously that it slows down healing before starting but i didnt know to such an extent. Healing is almost non-existing.

Well the reason why BP works is because it rids the bacteria. BP is an oxident not an anti-oxident which SLOWS down the healing process. Yes, Derms and Companies sell and recommend BP...why? Because it's effective at killing acne bacteria thus getting rid of some acne. But the bad part about BP is just that it slows the healing process and the FDA even changed the category of BP from Safe to Uncertain. BP has risks of skin cancer which they studied on rats and found tumors. I'm not dissing BP or anything....I tried Dan's Regimen (BP) and it worked great....but the risks and slow healing aren't worth the risk.

redmarks suck, try out Vita-K gel cream thing you can get it at a drug store. it even says on the bottle it's used for acne marks and surgeons use it to return normal pigmentation and all

I've been using it (spot treating, it don't say noncomodegenic on it so not taking any risks) at night and it helps newer ones the most, like say a cyst is going down start right away putting some on it at night every night within a week it will almost be gone, serious. older ones def have improved but not as much as newer ones. try it out.

The only info I could find about the fda ruling was off the skintactix site. The action was in 1995.

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing additional labeling (warning and directions) for all topically-applied acne treatment drug products containing benzoyl peroxide.  The warning advises consumers to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a sunscreen when using a benzoyl peroxide product to treat acne"

"The agency classified benzoyl peroxide from its previous status Category I to Category III status.  This action (56 FR 37622) was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice and a study that reported that benzoyl peroxide has tumor initiation potential."

"FDA evaluated these data and information and determined that the studies show that benzoyl peroxide is a skin tumor promoter in more than one strain of mice as well as in hamsters.  To date, topical studies (which have shown only tumor promotion) have been of short duration (about 52 weeks).  Although animal data and human epidemiology data are available, the agency has determined that further studies are necessary to adequately assess the tumorigenic potential of benzoyl peroxide.  These studies are currently being conducted.  The agency acknowledges that it may take several years for these studies to be completed and analyzed, and for the final determination to be made on benzoyl peroxide's safety."

thanks for the replies

There is no doubt bp is helping contain my acne, which is great and why i will continue to use it. Its just ive not experienced such prolonged red marks and it was a little worrying.

If i stop using bp on the red marks and just on clear patches to prevent breakouts, will my healing return to normal? or is the damage done?

Im sure a lot of companies do avoid using bp in their products now. I live in England and once upon a time you could get many washes with bp in them (oxy, J&J etc). But now, you are hard pushed to find one, its all SA. Oxy and J&J have converted to SA for all there stuff.

Wouldnt washing off the BP after a while minimize its effectiveness? It would seem like a good idea but i thought you had to let it absorb in and leave it there for it to do its thing?

redmarks suck, try out Vita-K gel cream thing you can get it at a drug store. it even says on the bottle it's used for acne marks and surgeons use it to return normal pigmentation and all

I've been using it (spot treating, it don't say noncomodegenic on it so not taking any risks) at night and it helps newer ones the most, like say a cyst is going down start right away putting some on it at night every night within a week it will almost be gone, serious. older ones def have improved but not as much as newer ones. try it out.

BP dries out the acne and causes the skin to crack. I've been using BP for spot treatments and it a really nasty scar. BP works for surface acne but when it comes to cystic acne it doesn't really help. It only leaves red marks that doesn't really go away. I heard that acnevention helps dry out acne without causing the skin to crack. I guess I'll have to try it to believe it. BP may work for some but it doesn't really work for me.

Yeah I have a patch of red marks on my right cheek that Ive had for a long time now and For the longest while Ive been putting bp on them cuz I didnt know what they were. But the middle of this summer I stopped using bp on them and they seem to be healing a little. They arent as red anymore.

yea i can totally relate to you (been on the regimen for 7 weeks... damn been a long time). ive never had so much marks. i mean some of my pimples arent even big but they still leave sumthing... im pretty clear now (like 3 active pimples) so ill just put the bp at night... (+ using the vinegar method).

I mean, BP caused hyperpigmentation in my skin by overdrying the zit and cracking it. It left nasty red marks. Maybe BP wasn't the main culprit but it certainly contributed to the scar formation or hyperpigmentation by cracking my skin.

I have hyperpigmentation I think...it's where there is a red mark on the skin, that looks to be part of the skin, like it goes deep? Yea, I have some around my temples, and it was from the BP. I had an old prescription of 10%, and I had a pimple there once, back in June, and I still have the hyperpigmentation of it, as well as in various other places on my face. The only way I've found to increase fading without breakouts so far is sunshine OR that Herbal Logix stuff.

ok, read my post again. I was talking about Vita-K gel-cream thing to help against red marks. nothing about bp in there >_<

ok, read my post again. I was talking about Vita-K gel-cream thing to help against red marks. nothing about bp in there >_<

If you put a little bit of neosporin on a zit that's already there, it does wonders for reducing the redness and keeping it from resulting in a redmark after it's gone. I mean WONDERS!

As for redmarks that are already there - I'm scared to use anything on them bc I'm scared anything I use for the redmarks will cause acne! Are these things you guys list safe in that respect?