Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone. This is my latest topical, i just got it today, i got told it is a gel form of accutane?. Well onto the point, i have very sensitive skin, which goes red all the time, (red from duac 5% benzoyl peroxide). I want to know, have any of you took this topical and what were the results, thanks everyone.

Isotrexin did very little for me. I tried with along with oral doxycycline and then oral erythromycin, but my skin was incredibly bad on it. The interesting thing was, though, that if I put on isotrexin and then applied benzoyl peroxide an hour later, it completely cleaned my nose of any blackheads. Nothing else has ever come close to removing the blackheads.

I've been using it for about ten months now and it's great. I can't use even the lowest strength BP because it burns my skin, but I don't get that with Isotretinoin gel. I'm glad I got it now because at first I resented it as my doctor prescribed it as something of a compromise to the fact he wouldn't refer me for Accutane. I guess he figured he could pacify me with the topical form instead but hey, whatever...

I'm totally clear now so don't have use for the gel at this moment in time, but I'm happy in the knowledge that should I get any breakouts, I can treat them with the gel and they'll soon calm down and my skin won't get irritated or burn like it would with BP. Equally, even if I get just the odd pimple, I can use the gel as an on-the-spot treatment and it'll kill it literally within a couple of days as though it wasn't even there to begin with.

I'd suggest giving it a try and see how you go for maybe a couple of months. Best to start slow and increase the amount you apply over time, although you don't need a great deal anyway. I just used to apply it on a nightly basis over the problem areas, mainly my cheeks and chin. They used to be pretty stubborn sometimes but the gel drew all that out of my skin and broke the cycle it was in. It got worse for a little while at the start which is to be expected, but it soon calmed down.

Are you taking any antibiotics at the same time? My doctor suggested that it was a good idea to do both so that one could potentially counter any initial breakout caused from the other. Between them, the gel and the Doxycycline I've been taking have been a massive help in getting clear. Of course, we're all different and our skin responds differently, but personally, I'd highly recommend taking that approach and giving the gel a go if you're unable to use other topicals like I was.

Best of luck! :)

My dermatologist prescribed me Isotrexin gel recently. She said she has good results with this gel. I've been using it for two weeks now, I don't see any changes yet but I'm glad it doesn't irritate my skin at all, like other products.