Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

Can You Make Kefir Without Milk?

im really wanting to make kefir, today i went to the health food shop and all she really had was this, what looked like, premade one that was in the fridge but it was loaded with sugar and flavouring and i didnt like the look of 40g of sugar. as well as noting the cows milk. i understand what kefir is but is it possible to buy the grains and use it in something else and still get full benefits? im really avoiding dairy and only really use rice milk when needed but the thought of wanting to indulge in kefir and then realising that also means indulging in a lot of cow milk ..kinda sucks because i dont wanna drink cows milk but i really want and i assume really need kefir.

ive been looking up on google for some recipes and exactly how to make it and im fairly confused, possibly because i dont have the grains yet (need to search around for some) and confused about the whole milk part to it.

The lady did give me something but it was like sachets of something (grains?) not sure at all as i dont know what they actually look like. but it was a white powder. said to add to milk but i havent of course because i dont wanna drink the milk. plus the box it came in didnt even have information about the contents etc. i was searching google if you can use rice milk, but my internet doesnt seem to want to load many pages right now, the only thing i got to read was something about the grains needing to also be in cows milk at some point (or something like that).

anyway, does anyone have an kefir advice for me ? :) thankyou :)

You can get water kefir grains which can be used in water, coconut milk, etc. BTW the powdered kefir starters aren't as good as live grains, I don't think they ever grow into grains and thus don't have anywhere near the diverse amount of cultures found in the little scobys. I ordered my grains from Marilyn Kefirlady, just google her, she's the kefir lady :)

I also learned a lot from Jenny McGruther, she has lots of info about kefir on her website.

You can get water kefir grains which can be used in water, coconut milk, etc. BTW the powdered kefir starters aren't as good as live grains, I don't think they ever grow into grains and thus don't have anywhere near the diverse amount of cultures found in the little scobys. I ordered my grains from Marilyn Kefirlady, just google her, she's the kefir lady smile.png

I also learned a lot from Jenny McGruther, she has lots of info about kefir on her website.

thankyou.

i live in australia, would it be wise purchasing over seas? even if i purchased off ebay in australia - would the postage delays be okay for them? also if i buy the water kefir grains are they just as strong as the milk kefir grains? :) thanks!

Well the kefir lady ships overseas so I'm sure it's fine. However she only accepts cash or money order so you might want to email her about the difference in currency.

I'm not sure what you mean by strong. The grains will continue to grow and multiply indefinitely if you take care of them. Which basically means keep making kefir with them. I've never made water kefir myself, just milk, but from what I read it's just as simple and healthy.