Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tk112233

My Cheeks Are All Red. Is It Freezer-Burn? Or Is It From Aloe Vera?

i've been using Aubreys organics aloe vera for the past few weeks to help tone down my complexion and i havent had any problems with it. but yesterday i was outside in the bitterly cold trying to fix my car up. now this morning my cheeks are red..like they were sunburnt. last night after i showered i noticed my cheeks did seem more red but i just thought the next morning it will calm down. i did use the aloe vera last night too. and i woke up and my cheeks are still red. am i having a reaction to the aloe vera even though ive been using it for weeks now? or did i get a wind burn/freeze burn from being outside in the cold?

It could be a combo of both...I used a product a few years back that marketed Aloe Vera (L'bri) as the active healing ingredient to solve the worlds problems. Foolishly I believed the consultants hype and tried the products. i tried the Face wash, toner, lotion, and the makeup products. I had cheeks that looked liked tomatoes. Burned liked crazy. I cannot diss the products entirely. I was naive to believe the consultant and not read for myself the ingredient list. The prominent ingredient in each product however was the Aloe. So, under my opinion I believe that to be the irritant. Ironically when I started using these said products I had flawless skin. I didn't have a facial routine. I washed with OTC (probably crap products) and used less than ideal makeup. Still, I had no reactions or breakouts. Whatever the irritant that was in those products set off my skin and made it super sensitive. Which was a whirlwind of stupid cycle on my own part trying to combat the problem. Using highly abrasive products and acne OTC lotion and cleansers to solve the problem. In the end I made it worse and made my not so sensitive skin sensitive in the long run. I guess back then I was under the assumption that natural=safe. Probably in theory a great idea. But natural doesn't always (in my case) mean better. L'bri products is a prime example.

I guess it depends on how long were you outside? Also, do your cheeks itch? I've had wind burn before and they were mostly red and warm. Like a sunburn. which subsides in a few days. An allergic reaction usually 99% of time involves itching, redness, and a rash.

i was probably outside for a cumulative of about 10min and it was pretty cold cause i didn't have a glove on my right hand and it started to get numb after just a few minutes. didn't get frostbite on my hand though. my cheeks didn't itch. they just looked really red like a sunburn and they did feel sorta warm. i also took a pretty warm shower afterwards so could the warm water bother it more? i thought after i sleep the night, the redness would have calmed down by the morning but it was still red.

these are the ingredients of the aloe vera i use:

Aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, tocopherol (vitamin E).

and it's a liquid, not a gel or a cream.

so could i be having a reaction to the aloe vera too? should i stop using it for like a week and then try it again for one day and see how i react to it? maybe i should just use it a few times a week, instead of everyday, and dilute it more with water.

edit: i just want to have a better understanding about allergic reactions/irritants. for example, if i tried this aloe vera for the very first time and my face started to look red and irritated right after i put it on, then i would assume that i was having a bad reaction to it. but that didn't happen to me when i first tried this aloe vera. i've been using it for several weeks now and had no problem with redness. until yesterday and my cheeks looked more red. can that still mean im having a reaction the the aloe vera even though ive been using it for awhile??? thats why im confused...i thought you'd only get a reaction after the very first time of using a product.

Edited by tk112233

i was probably outside for a cumulative of about 10min and it was pretty cold cause i didn't have a glove on my right hand and it started to get numb after just a few minutes. didn't get frostbite on my hand though. my cheeks didn't itch. they just looked really red like a sunburn and they did feel sorta warm. i also took a pretty warm shower afterwards so could the warm water bother it more? i thought after i sleep the night, the redness would have calmed down by the morning but it was still red.

these are the ingredients of the aloe vera i use:

Aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, tocopherol (vitamin E).

and it's a liquid, not a gel or a cream.

so could i be having a reaction to the aloe vera too? should i stop using it for like a week and then try it again for one day and see how i react to it? maybe i should just use it a few times a week, instead of everyday, and dilute it more with water.

edit: i just want to have a better understanding about allergic reactions/irritants. for example, if i tried this aloe vera for the very first time and my face started to look red and irritated right after i put it on, then i would assume that i was having a bad reaction to it. but that didn't happen to me when i first tried this aloe vera. i've been using it for several weeks now and had no problem with redness. until yesterday and my cheeks looked more red. can that still mean im having a reaction the the aloe vera even though ive been using it for awhile??? thats why im confused...i thought you'd only get a reaction after the very first time of using a product.

Yes, you could be allergic or sensitive to aloe or the added ingredients in this product. I would try NOT using it for a few days and see how your skin responds. Also try a patch test on your inner arm or under your chin instead of your face.

Allergic reactions are riddles. They are difficult to understand the "why" you reacted and "what" made you react. It's also very confusing when it's a delayed reaction. Though it's not abnormal in the least. Your skin is responding to something whether it be the product or something else. Your face is red due to irritant and your body is reacting or attacking whatever is pissing your skin off. Yes, your face can still be red even if your not using the product. Just like a rash, cold, or sore it takes time for your body heal itself. Give it some time and lay off the product and see what or how your skin responds.

I've used products for months and just like turning on a switch my skin hates them. I've been advised from derms when reactions happen to first stop products and slowly reintroduce them back one by one to figure out just where the problem lies. I also take an allergy pill if I truly feel the need or an ibuprofen for the inflammation if it presents itself. If my face is going crazy with redness and rashes I will try an OTC Hydrocortisone cream. The cream is my very last resort. Again, I also consult with my doctor first prior to any medication/cream.