Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Idolator

Taking An Antibiotic That No Longer Works? (Doxycycline)

So basically I was on Doxycycline from March-October, but then went off it because I thought it was triggering some health problems I was having (Dysphoria and urinary incontinence), in addition to that, it seemed as if it had lost it's effectiveness. I was clear of all acne from March-July, but in July I noticed I was getting a little bit more acne, but not nearly as much as I was getting before Doxy, so I kept taking it.

But then after going off Doxy in October (I was an idiot and just went off it right away, instead of slowly going off it) and had the worst breakout of my life for 2 months (Leaving me with tons and tons of red marks). During this breakout, I went to my dermatologist, and he prescribed me Tetraycyline, and right when I started taking Tetra, my breakout had stopped, and the antibiotic seemed to have been doing it's job fairly well. After a month of taking Tetra, I went to refill my prescription, but was told that they no longer make the antibiotic, and that it's been discontinued everywhere!....WELL FUCK! So with no other option, I just started taking Doxycycline again, although it might be giving me these health problems and it's not working nearly as good as it was, it's better than nothing for now.... What a waste of two months of breaking out and everything for nothing though....

When an antibiotic loses effectivness, does that mean it completely stops helping you? Or can it still somewhat help acne, just not nearly as much as it did? Because I don't remember how bad my acne was before Doxy, compared to how bad it is now, because of how long ago it was...But if antibiotics absolutely don't help at all after they lose effectiveness, then continuing to take this is pretty pointless.

Doxy does seem to prevent acne from leaving behind red marks though, I don't know how or why it does that. I noticed that all of the acne I got from my breakout after going off Doxy left horrid red marks, but all of the acne I currently get while taking Doxy doesn't leave behind any red marks. Is that even logical?

Could this antibiotic be making my acne worse, though? The acne on my face right now seems to be a little better or the same it was before Doxy (It's hard to remember how bad my acne was since it was so long ago, so I have no idea). In July, when I noticed it lots it's effectivness, I noticed that I broke out really bad all over my body, and I used to never have much body acne before. I even broke out on my ass! Fucking embarassing, but...I don't even know how that happens. I think I even had some acne on my scalp, which is really unusual to me. So could Doxy losing it's effectivness be causing me to breakout in unfamilar areas too?

Hopefully this all makes sense, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by Symmetry

if the antibiotic becomes ineffective, and youre still taking it, there's really no point to that. If you're going to be on antibiotics at all, the point of it is to clear your acne. Because why would you risk all the side effects for it to only partially work.

Why don't you switch over to Minocycline?...I was on Doxy for a few years before it stopped working on my acne. Doxycycline is one of the weak antibiotics, meaning the half life of the drug is short and it doesn't have a long life span. Mino is one of the more potent antibiotics. I was taking minocycline for 4 years, but now I'm trying to stay on birth control pills because I don't want to be on Minocycline for over 5 years. But yea, it's pretty strong.

Edited by Casablancaa

if the antibiotic becomes ineffective, and youre still taking it, there's really no point to that. If you're going to be on antibiotics at all, the point of it is to clear your acne. Because why would you risk all the side effects for it to only partially work.

Why don't you switch over to Minocycline?...I was on Doxy for a few years before it stopped working on my acne. Doxycycline is one of the weak antibiotics, meaning the half life of the drug is short and it doesn't have a long life span. Mino is one of the more potent antibiotics. I was taking minocycline for 4 years, but now I'm trying to stay on birth control pills because I don't want to be on Minocycline for over 5 years. But yea, it's pretty strong.

Thanks for the reply! Good point! I see exactly what you're saying, there's really no point in taking it if it's not doing what it was supposed to be doing. My dermatologist actually prescribed me Minocycline before Tetracycline, but I decided to not get it because it was like $40-$50 just for a bottle, and I was tight on money at the time. But with things how they are now, I guess I could try to go for it! Especially since you said it's much more powerful than Doxy. My only concern now is that I'm taking Doxy again, so how do I go off it again? There's no way in hell I want to deal with another crazy breakout that leaves me with tons of red marks (Like the last time I went off it), so maybe I could slowly go off it to prevent a breakout? I've only been taking it for a month or so. Could I maybe take one pill every 2 days for a week, then every 3 days for a week, etc.? I take two pills in the morning and two at night, so I'm not sure if that'll make things more difficult.

Thanks again for the reply! Minocycline sounds like a good idea, especially since there's not many other antibiotics I can probably try out there from the sounds of it (Aside from Accutane). I previously took Erythromycin too, which didn't do a damn thing.

Thanks for the reply! Good point! I see exactly what you're saying, there's really no point in taking it if it's not doing what it was supposed to be doing. My dermatologist actually prescribed me Minocycline before Tetracycline, but I decided to not get it because it was like $40-$50 just for a bottle, and I was tight on money at the time. But with things how they are now, I guess I could try to go for it! Especially since you said it's much more powerful than Doxy. My only concern now is that I'm taking Doxy again, so how do I go off it again? There's no way in hell I want to deal with another crazy breakout that leaves me with tons of red marks (Like the last time I went off it), so maybe I could slowly go off it to prevent a breakout? I've only been taking it for a month or so. Could I maybe take one pill every 2 days for a week, then every 3 days for a week, etc.? I take two pills in the morning and two at night, so I'm not sure if that'll make things more difficult.

Thanks again for the reply! Minocycline sounds like a good idea, especially since there's not many other antibiotics I can probably try out there from the sounds of it (Aside from Accutane). I previously took Erythromycin too, which didn't do a damn thing.

wow, $40 to $50, do you have insurance? I buy it with my mom's insurance and it's no more than $10, actually I just got this humongous bottle, like 160 pills (like I'm ever going to use all that)...guess they had some sort of special going on LOL.

But on a serious note, yes, it is stronger than Doxy. People on these boards have been on Minocycline for very long periods of time...the problem with Minocycline is not, when will it go ineffective, (like Doxy) but when should I stop taking it for fear of long~term consequences because it works so well. So each person has to draw the line after x amount of time.

You can do whatever you like when it comes to tapering off of the Doxy...antibiotics are flexible, I actually currently take Minocycline sporadically, like if I have a bad face week because I don't want to take it each and every day. Just test out the waters, meaning, keep taking 1 pill less, and if you get an increase of breakouts, stop at that amount that caused that increase of acne....anyways you wouldn't have to taper off of Doxy if you're going to get the Minocycline pills, just switch over to the mino.

wow, $40 to $50, do you have insurance? I buy it with my mom's insurance and it's no more than $10, actually I just got this humongous bottle, like 160 pills (like I'm ever going to use all that)...guess they had some sort of special going on LOL.

But on a serious note, yes, it is stronger than Doxy. People on these boards have been on Minocycline for very long periods of time...the problem with Minocycline is not, when will it go ineffective, (like Doxy) but when should I stop taking it for fear of long~term consequences because it works so well. So each person has to draw the line after x amount of time.

You can do whatever you like when it comes to tapering off of the Doxy...antibiotics are flexible, I actually currently take Minocycline sporadically, like if I have a bad face week because I don't want to take it each and every day. Just test out the waters, meaning, keep taking 1 pill less, and if you get an increase of breakouts, stop at that amount that caused that increase of acne....anyways you wouldn't have to taper off of Doxy if you're going to get the Minocycline pills, just switch over to the mino.

Oh wow! $10?! Hahaha, I envy you! I don't have insurance though, unfortunately. It costs me $100 to see the dermatologist! It's insane, haha.

What kind of long-term consequences does Mino have? Like does it do damage on your liver?

Good idea! Switching over directly to Mino to prevent a breakout seems like it would definitely work, like when I ran out of Tetracycline, I just took a Doxycycline the next day and kept taking them, and I had no breakout at all. So that should definitely work! Just sucks it costs so damn much to get it, but if it'll clear up my skin for a few months like Doxy did, then it's well worth the money. I just hope I don't get any crazy side effects like grey skin or anything (Especially with the two weird health problems I have now, which I think were caused by Doxy). Do you think Mino will definitely work for me since Doxy did? Or does it just depend on the person? Like some people get results with Mino, but not Doxy, and vice versa?

Thanks for all the help!

By the way, here is some basic info on minocycline in that it's one of the more stronger antibiotics~

"It is a bacteriostatic antibiotic, classified as a long-acting type. As a result of its long half-life it generally has serum levels 2–4 times that of the simple water-soluble tetracyclines (150 mg giving 16 times the activity levels compared with 250 mg of tetracycline at 24–48 hours)."

so basically, even small amounts of minocycline are so much stronger than other antibiotics like tetracycline and doxy.

Edited by Casablancaa

Oh wow! $10?! Hahaha, I envy you! I don't have insurance though, unfortunately. It costs me $100 to see the dermatologist! It's insane, haha.

What kind of long-term consequences does Mino have? Like does it do damage on your liver?

Good idea! Switching over directly to Mino to prevent a breakout seems like it would definitely work, like when I ran out of Tetracycline, I just took a Doxycycline the next day and kept taking them, and I had no breakout at all. So that should definitely work! Just sucks it costs so damn much to get it, but if it'll clear up my skin for a few months like Doxy did, then it's well worth the money. I just hope I don't get any crazy side effects like grey skin or anything (Especially with the two weird health problems I have now, which I think were caused by Doxy). Do you think Mino will definitely work for me since Doxy did? Or does it just depend on the person? Like some people get results with Mino, but not Doxy, and vice versa?

Thanks for all the help!

yes. If Doxy worked for you, mino will work for you. they're in the same class of antibiotics anyways..Like I said, you will get results, you will be clear, but you need to know when to stop it, because you don't want to be on it for more than a few years.

The LT consequences of Mino are the same with the other antibiotics, bacteria resistance and whatnot, but another member here pointed out that bacteria resistance with minocycline is a very slim occurrence. Any oral medication has potentially damaging effects to your liver...the key is to take it in low doses. So your liver doesn't become toxic, and stay away from alcohol, eat healthy, exercise...keep your liver strong while you're taking prescription medications. I don't know how old you are, or whether you're male or female, but LT mino use is also associated with Thyroid issues which is more of an issue for females. If you're young, you'll have less risk, just don't stay on it for the long term. Age is on our side.

Also photosensitivity (wear sunscreen), dizziness and vertigo are associated with minocycline.

yes. If Doxy worked for you, mino will work for you. they're in the same class of antibiotics anyways..Like I said, you will get results, you will be clear, but you need to know when to stop it, because you don't want to be on it for more than a few years.

The LT consequences of Mino are the same with the other antibiotics, bacteria resistance and whatnot, but another member here pointed out that bacteria resistance with minocycline is a very slim occurrence. Any oral medication has potentially damaging effects to your liver...the key is to take it in low doses. So your liver doesn't become toxic, and stay away from alcohol, eat healthy, exercise...keep your liver strong while you're taking prescription medications. I don't know how old you are, or whether you're male or female, but LT mino use is also associated with Thyroid issues which is more of an issue for females. If you're young, you'll have less risk, just don't stay on it for the long term. Age is on our side.

Also photosensitivity (wear sunscreen), dizziness and vertigo are associated with minocycline.

Thanks again for all of the info and help! I'm 20 and a male, by the way.

I just called in my prescription for Mino, so I'll start taking it tonight and let you know how things go! :D I fortunately still had it on my file at the pharmacy that I go to (from when my dermatologist first prescribed it), which is a miracle, and saves me $100 instead of having to go see him again to get it, haha.

If I have any bad side effects from it, will I know immediately? I remember my derm telling me that Mino had a lot more side effects than Doxy did.

Thanks again!

Check out my regimen that has kept me clear for the past 6 months and counting.

http://www.acne.org/...__fromsearch__1

Good luck!

I read your thread, and damn! That sounds like a really smart route to go. If the Minocycline doesn't work for me or becomes inaffective after a while, I will definitely give your regimen a try! Thanks!

Thanks again for all of the info and help! I'm 20 and a male, by the way.

I just called in my prescription for Mino, so I'll start taking it tonight and let you know how things go! biggrin.png I fortunately still had it on my file at the pharmacy that I go to (from when my dermatologist first prescribed it), which is a miracle, and saves me $100 instead of having to go see him again to get it, haha.

If I have any bad side effects from it, will I know immediately? I remember my derm telling me that Mino had a lot more side effects than Doxy did.

Thanks again!

Check out my regimen that has kept me clear for the past 6 months and counting.

http://www.acne.org/...__fromsearch__1

Good luck!

I read your thread, and damn! That sounds like a really smart route to go. If the Minocycline doesn't work for me or becomes inaffective after a while, I will definitely give your regimen a try! Thanks!

Thanks it really has changed my life I guess you could say. Minocycline is great but the side effects suck and it wears off. I like keeping my body healthy I guess haha.

Good luck!

What dose of minocycline are you on? 100 mg per day?

Some of the side effects will be immediate, as it is a new drug and your body will need to adjust to it.

Some of the side effects I noticed when I started mino were ~ dizziness and rashes. Those subsided after the first week. The LT side effects you will not know immediately obviously, so be cautious in the end.

What dose of minocycline are you on? 100 mg per day?

Some of the side effects will be immediate, as it is a new drug and your body will need to adjust to it.

Some of the side effects I noticed when I started mino were ~ dizziness and rashes. Those subsided after the first week. The LT side effects you will not know immediately obviously, so be cautious in the end.

I'm on 200MG a day (100MG twice a day). What kind of rashes did you get? Because I think I might already have one on my neck, which is odd. That's the only side effect I've noticed so far, other than my head feels really weird, which is most likely from Dysphoria, but I'm not sure if Minocycyline is making it worse, I have no idea how I even got that problem to begin with....

Just an update, today my head feels HORRIBLE. I feel extremely tired and everything just feels strange. It seems like the dysphoria-type feelings I was getting before are like 100x worse today. Is this a dangerous side effect of Mino? Should I quit taking it? Or will this go away after a few days?

Just an update, today my head feels HORRIBLE. I feel extremely tired and everything just feels strange. It seems like the dysphoria-type feelings I was getting before are like 100x worse today. Is this a dangerous side effect of Mino? Should I quit taking it? Or will this go away after a few days?

Keep taking it, it is a miracle drug kept me completely clear for a year!!!!!!!!!!!! Not one zit ever. I had to stop taking it because of rare side effect, now I am on doxy which is doing nothing. :(

Keep taking it, it is a miracle drug kept me completely clear for a year!!!!!!!!!!!! Not one zit ever. I had to stop taking it because of rare side effect, now I am on doxy which is doing nothing. new cysts every week, I just want to cry.

Minocycline sounds pretty damn good as Im on Doxy for the 2nd time and its doing nothing this time. Sounds like I might have to switch to Mino. eusa_think.gif