Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tunnelvisionary

Scientists At Harvard Claim Dairy Is No Longer Part Of A Healthy Diet

interesting, thanks for sharing. In my country industries make ads telling people children would be taller if they drink three glasses of milk per day, but milk and dairy in general are not so good after all...people believe the myth dairy is essential, business make people believe white sugar for example, is vital and provides "energy". Had they known their children would be taller if they consume more fruits, vegetables and healthy carbs too

People in community colleges already knew this probably.

Took them long enough.

Hahahaha.

interesting, thanks for sharing. In my country industries make ads telling people children would be taller if they drink three glasses of milk per day, but milk and dairy in general are not so good after all...people believe the myth dairy is essential, business make people believe white sugar for example, is vital and provides "energy". Had they known their children would be taller if they consume more fruits, vegetables and healthy carbs too

Yeah, and getting calcium from milk was really overstated for a while here when I was young. Calcium can be obtained from other foods, and other minerals definitely play a part in bone health.

I seriously wonder when saturated fats and cholesterol will stop being shunned, and whole grains will finally be denounced.

Cool find, there will be other scientists against it like there always is...

Also cool on the same header of that webpage, things to get out of the bathroom (pretty much every thing):

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/7-ingredients-to-ban-from-your-bathroom.html?page=1

Took them long enough.

Also cool on the same header of that webpage, things to get out of the bathroom (pretty much every thing):

http://www.care2.com...oom.html?page=1

Took them long enough.

No, because community colleges do not perform research, that's what separates them from universities.

Took them long enough.

Hahahaha.

Yeah, and getting calcium from milk was really overstated for a while here when I was young. Calcium can be obtained from other foods, and other minerals definitely play a part in bone health.

I seriously wonder when saturated fats and cholesterol will stop being shunned, and whole grains will finally be denounced.

Well yes, of course, look at Asia, they never have milk or dairy, they actually eat the fishes bones to obtain calcium.

I always just assumed dairy in general was bad because it's sort of common sense.

Babies drink milk. Baby animals drink milk.

Adult animals don't drink milk. Adult animals also don't drink milk from other animals.

Humans are animals, thus we probably shouldn't be drinking milk as adults, especially from other animals.

But they are short, while the tallest people on average are in northen Europe, where they consume a lot of dairy.

tell that to the people on the island of sardinia off the coast of italy where they eat cheese all day, yet little meat, and have more centenarians then most countries on earth.

but im sure there is some truth behind their advice to reduce you dairy intake.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I'll be honest...I have completely abandoned my dairy phobia. I just make sure the dairy is good quality.

Here's the healthy plate in case anyone is wondering: http://www.health.harvard.edu/images/healthy-eating-plate-images/healthy-eating-plate-web1000.jpg

I take their recommendations with a grain (oh no lololol) of salt. From the information i've gathered, it seems like dairy does have its downfalls but many other factors come into play, like the state of your health, what kind of dairy, fermented, raw, etc. According to GAPS certified doctors, raw dairy and butter is very good for you. However, if you're in poor health, milk is more likely to have a detrimental effect. That's my take on it.

Took them long enough.

No, because community colleges do not perform research, that's what separates them from universities.

It's a good thing people in CC's don't have access to books or the internet, or who knows what could happen.

Took them long enough.

It's a good thing people in CC's don't have access to books or the internet, or who knows what could happen.

laughable

so their main point in this article is that ~

"high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.”

Good thing I've been on birth control pills for over 5 years which decreases ovarian cancer risk by 40% itself in a lifetime. Dairy is too important to me. I live by milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream. I've always been in the top percentile when it comes to health (and height and weight might I add)...so once again, just another study...next..

Edited by Casablancaa

"high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.”

Good thing I've been on birth control pills for over 5 years which decreases ovarian cancer risk by 40% itself in a lifetime. Dairy is too important to me. I live by milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream. I've always been in the top percentile when it comes to health (and height and weight might I add)...so once again, just another study...next..

-shrug- and on the other end of that, I witnessed firsthand my body go from being fine with dairy, to taking some time off and then just being totally opposed to me ingesting it. So everyone's different, eh?

Interesting factoid, though the article isn't very in depth (alas) -- but thanks for sharing. :}

-shrug- and on the other end of that, I witnessed firsthand my body go from being fine with dairy, to taking some time off and then just being totally opposed to me ingesting it. So everyone's different, eh?

That happened to my Aunt. she was fine with dairy when she was young, but then she stopped taking it for awhile, and then became lactose. Maybe some kind of intolerance builds up. Anyways her children now are like that as well, they only drink soy...Unfortunately, her son is very short as a result (i come from a tall family!)

Edited by Casablancaa

I always just assumed dairy in general was bad because it's sort of common sense.

Adult animals don't drink milk. Adult animals also don't drink milk from other animals.

Humans are animals, thus we probably shouldn't be drinking milk as adults, especially from other animals.

This is something I spend probably too much time thinking about. On one hand, that is the logical conclusion, and ultimately I think it's the most correct. Especially commerical pasteurized dairy... blech there's just no point. And we certainly don't need dairy to be optimally healthy when better sources of nutrition/bacteria whatever are available. However we can't deny that for a healthy individual there are some benefits to raw and fermented/cultured dairy. There are populations of people that practically live on the stuff and they are perfectly healthy.

I know if it came down to it, I'd pick raw dairy over grains to survive. At least milk was "meant" to be nourishment. I don't feel the same about most grains.

This is probably the worst logic ever:

When was the last time you saw an adult human breast feeding?

If you placed a bowl of milk in front of an adult animal, they would most likely par take in drinking it (cats, dogs, apes, so on and so forth)...

The question isn't why they stop drinking it, that is obvious Lactation cycles (when a mother is pregnant - hormonal), the question should be how would adults of other animals find or get milk? Because if they most certainly could get it, they would drink it.

This is probably the worst logic ever:

When was the last time you saw an adult human breast feeding?

If you placed a bowl of milk in front of an adult animal, they would most likely par take in drinking it (cats, dogs, apes, so on and so forth)...

The question isn't why they stop drinking it, that is obvious Lactation cycles (when a mother is pregnant - hormonal), the question should be how would adults of other animals find or get milk? Because if they most certainly could get it, they would drink it.

Animals also eat the grains we feed them which they would never eat on their own in nature. They would eat 100 snickers bars if you let them.

From an evolutionary standpoint though you have a point. For a female to be producing milk and therefore nursing for her entire life isn't the best use of energy. Babies can't get their own food, but once they can, the milk is no longer needed. This doesn't mean milk is necessarily bad, just not required. Then again, milk evolved to be filled with things that are good for growing babies, not adults. Which is why I think a lot about milk, there's a lot to be said for either case.

Just some anecdotal evidence, I started breaking out last week after consuming raw milk for a handful of days (not kefir'd or anything), and my skin seemed to be more oily, whereas before it wasn't noticible, but I didn't have sebutape or anything like that to check it. I'm able to have cheese made from raw milk though, I use it in omlettes and stuff.

Some would, some wouldn't. And those that drank it would then have diarhea. None of the adult cats I've had in the past few decades cared for milk.

These are the reasons to avoid/limit dairy: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/294804-acne-dairy-and-cancer-the-5alpha-p-link/page__hl__dairy%2C+cancer__fromsearch__1 The gist being that Milk is full of things that make babies grow fast. Once you no longer growing, those things can make bad things grow, like cancer, excessive hormones that screw up how your body functions, etc.

Edited by alternativista

Just some anecdotal evidence, I started breaking out last week after consuming raw milk for a handful of days (not kefir'd or anything), and my skin seemed to be more oily, whereas before it wasn't noticible, but I didn't have sebutape or anything like that to check it. I'm able to have cheese made from raw milk though, I use it in omlettes and stuff.

I'm the same. While I'm sure raw milk is better than pasteurized and probably okay for some people with strong systems, I absolutely break out from it just as much as with pasteurized. :(

I'm the same. While I'm sure raw milk is better than pasteurized and probably okay for some people with strong systems, I absolutely break out from it just as much as with pasteurized. sad.png

Yeah, I've decided to not mess around with it for a while! Seeing as I'm barely 20 and still going through bodily changes and whatnot, plus years of horrible eating prior to the last 4-6 months or so, I'm not surprised that it gave me problems. I seem to be okay when using it in cooking for things like stew, but that's in small amounts. Milk alternatives like coconut milk are pretty rad in themselves, so I don't miss it all that much!

^ Yeah that's a good video. I was having that discussion about the Boston distilleries with my mom when she was like "OMG I would never drink anything but pasteurized milk" My face has remained clear while drinking raw milk so I don't think it bothers me.