Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AutonomousOne1980

Exercise- Highly Under Rated, And Some Reasons Why.

i believe exercise has some immense benefits for health and longevity, that im really only beginning to understand.

in a nutshell, if done right in combination with a good diet, it should send you off into a deep, healing, restful refreshing sleep.

there is something called the lactic acid threshold that needs to be broken, this vaguely seperates exercise between aerobic and anaerobic and this is done with intense exercise, generally in a short duration that cannot be sustained for more then 2-3 minutes, preferably with a 20-30 minute warmup so you dont injure yourself. Its been hard to really understand the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise though, the highest amounts of lactic acid are released into the blood stream with anaerobic exercise, rather then aerobic, but the main factor determining which one is activated more, is intensity and effort, but generally speaking, weightlifting seems to dominate the anaerobic side of exercise, whereas running seems to be more aerobic. but if you do really fast sprints, that could easily utilize anaerobic metabolism, likewise, if you lift really light weights, you may only strictly be in aerobic metabolism, so hopefully that is clear enough to understand. generally runners use a moderate pace for 20-30 minutes, and weight lifters do 20-30 second sets with heavy weights and rest between sets.

My personal experiances- as i think back and try to explain the times i have noticed myself obtaining the deepest sleep, there have been two possible variables i suspected, one time was when i was eating two cups of yogurt a day and i fell asleep with deep dreams within 5-10 minutes consistently for about 6 weeks, with little to no exercise and had beautiful skin by the way. and another time was when i was sprinting as fast as i could until out of breath on a bmx bike every other day, with the most pronounced effect on sleep, when i tried riding a bike up a steep hill and i have never pushed myself that hard in my life, that night, i had some of the deepest dreams ever, i had no yogurt during the time i was doing sprints, so they are truly two seperate unique events contributing to sleep, the one thing linking them both together is lactic acid. if you are not aware, yogurt is milk that is fermented with lacobacillus bacteria that ferment lactose into lactic acid, the same substance produced by muscle cells when you work out, so i believe this explains this substance is responsible for the sleep enhancing effect.

so, the dogma we have been bombarded with, is that lactic acid produced by muscles is responsible for the soreness after a workout, but the new science suggests this is false, one reason, is because they have found the brain can utilize lactic acid , but when you perform intense exercise, your muscles produce lactic acid, at a much higher rate then other forms of exercise, and it spills out into the blood stream. they have measured the lactic acid in the blood going into the brain and the blood coming out of the brain, and found no lactic acid coming out of the brain which suggests, some role in brain function. I hope this info updates your views on what lactic acid is and may be very beneficial to the brain in some yet unknown way, perhaps enhancing sleep and other things which i suggest. From my readings of recent science, it seems that brain cells called astrocytes seem to be able to utilize this lactic acid for yet unknown tasks, but the role of astrocytes has alot to do with increasing the actions of glutamate and the release of glutamate, a major neurotransmitter, and also the actions of gaba, which is highly involved in deep sleep as many sleep drugs benzodiazapenes attach to the gaba receptor, similarly to gaba itself. glutamate is invloved also in activating the nmda receptor, which is involved in long term memory formation, coincidentally, sleep itself has been proposed to be important to long term memory formation, so if lactic acid does in fact increase the actions of astrocytes, which in turn support nmda receptor, gaba production and activity and glutamate production and activity, high amounts of lactic acid is our friend. they have also confirmed that people who excercise have generally 30% larger brains the people who do not, and another study linked weightlifting with better test performance and grades in college.

now i have thought about this for some time, to see if perhaps i could be wrong in my suspicions, but thats why i looked to any existing science to give my theory of the lactic acid sleep connection, but this has not been studied very much by science yet, we still have not much understanding and existing dogmas about lactic acid in the blood and if there is any benefit, after believing that this stuff is toxic for so long may explain some lack of scientific interest. but there is a possibility it has some effect on GABA system in the brain which is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter system shutting down activity in certain regions easier for sleep. i think it was only 2008 that they had changed their tune on the role of lactic acid in relation to exercise, so it seems the understanding of lactic acid and how it may be related to sleep the brain and overall health, is not fully understood yet, but a very likely scenario.

so get your exercise, and sleep like a baby. or, eat alot of yogurt.

here is a big article all about exercise and sleep http://ajl.sagepub.c.../6/500.full.pdf

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Nice stuff. I've read conflicting arguments on this board about the benefits of exercise, how much you should do it, how intense it should be, etc. Regardless of the inter-workings of my body, the best sleep comes when I push my body to it's limits when working out. This gives me more energy in the long run. That's less stress, more sleep, and a more enjoyable life.

Three great things for your skin right there.

If anything it's overrated. Being January, i'm seeing a lot of fat people killing themselves running laps of the park. It'll all be over soon as people slowly give up on their New Years "Resolutions" and wonder why they're still fat, and now grumpy.

People place far too much emphasis on little, easy fixes, and government propaganda fuels this (The Biggest Loser, low calorie myths, victim mentality). Oh, it's OK if I shovel this poison into my liver, as long as I run for 30 minutes tomorrow morning! This is how so many people get sick. "Exercise" can't be used as an excuse to do more damage.

I exercise, but I don't call it that. I just do things, I do sprints once or twice a week when I feel like it, because I love running as fast as I can. I love the challenge, the reason. Being active and alive is a beautiful thing.

Edited by uncle buck

Being active and alive is a beautiful thing.

Cheers.

Out-of-shape people exercising publicly make me just as happy to see as people with great muscle tone exercising publicly. Seeing people out and about in general is great. Head phones, fanny packs, walking their french bulldogs. It's all magic.

Yeah, it's all about leading an active, healthy lifestyle in all aspects, of course - but exercise is a major component of that!

We were *not* made to sit in our bums all day. Images of Wall-E keep swimming through my head...

Apparently husky dogs do not produce lactic acids, one of the many reasons they can run all day long. It seems that if you allow lactic acid to build up it becomes a problem, although it is well established now that it is an energy source, however one must consume it and not let it build up.

http://www.nytimes.c...tion/16run.html

Edited by steven m jacobson

People place far too much emphasis on little, easy fixes, and government propaganda fuels this (The Biggest Loser, low calorie myths, victim mentality). Oh, it's OK if I shovel this poison into my liver, as long as I run for 30 minutes tomorrow morning! This is how so many people get sick. "Exercise" can't be used as an excuse to do more damage.

And shows like the Biggest Loser make them think the solution is to work so hard you scream in pain and vomit. Those people are on some paradise California ranch near a beach. They should be out walking around in the sand, up and down hills and sand dunes. Not in that gym.

But the reason they are is it's sponsored by one of those health clubs.

I know the benefits, but I get bored having to exercise for 1h+

I believe that's the main problem for a lot of ppl,

You shouldn't exercise for an hour+ unless you are talking about something like a nice walk, hike, or bike ride, dancing or playing a game.

You should move around as much as possible all day everyday. And you should do some brief intense activities like sprinting, climbing hills or stairs, or lifting heavy things whether as a 'workout' or as part of hobbies/life/work. http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2661867

The long workouts most people do at the gym or whatever are mostly wasted effort.

Regarding working until you produce lactic acid-- Somewhere in this MDA article, it mentions that increased testosterone levels coincide with increased lactate levels. For those that have found that working out breaks them out, you might want to avoid or limit working at that level.

http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__3031789

Also, it's mostly likely a survival mechanism. Just because it lets you keep going when you need to, doesn't mean it's good for you. Prolonged intense physical activity is damaging.

Edited by alternativista

You shouldn't exercise for an hour+ unless you are talking about something like a nice walk, hike, or bike ride, dancing or playing a game.

You should move around as much as possible all day everyday. And you should do some brief intense activities like sprinting, climbing hills or stairs, or lifting heavy things whether as a 'workout' or as part of hobbies/life/work. http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2661867

The long workouts most people do at the gym or whatever are mostly wasted effort.

Regarding working until you produce lactic acid-- Somewhere in this MDA article, it mentions that increased testosterone levels coincide with increased lactate levels. For those that have found that working out breaks them out, you might want to avoid or limit working at that level.

http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__3031789

Also, it's mostly likely a survival mechanism. Just because it lets you keep going when you need to, doesn't mean it's good for you. Prolonged intense physical activity is damaging.

i went to the marks daily apple article you posted and the study he referred to found a positive correlation between serum lactate levels and serum testosterone levels, indicating some possible causal relationship, and this may be explained by another study i read which found that leydig cells in testicles which are naturally responsible for the production of testosterone in the presence of lutienizing hormone produced in the pituitary gland, were found to produce testosterone when exposed to lactic acid, so leydig cells were highly likely making testosterone in direct response from lactate, indicating, another benefit for the production of lactic acid.

That entire article is interesting, thanks for posting BTW!!

here is a link MDA referred to-https://www.thieme-c.../s-0030-1248243

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

i went to the marks daily apple article you posted and the study he referred to found a positive correlation between serum lactate levels and serum testosterone levels, indicating some possible causal relationship, and this may be explained by another study i read which found that leydig cells in testicles which are naturally responsible for the production of testosterone in the presence of lutienizing hormone produced in the pituitary gland, were found to produce testosterone when exposed to lactic acid, so leydig cells were highly likely making testosterone in direct response from lactate, indicating, another benefit for the production of lactic acid.

here is a link MDA referred to-https://www.thieme-c.../s-0030-1248243

Yes, but whether that testosterone increase is a benefit depends. Certainly it's a good thing for older men. Possibly for older women depending on their hormone situation.