Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

Fao: Labgirl (Or Anyone Who Knows About Ingredients)

Hey,

So I'm wondering if these ingredients are bad. I looked up the ones I could find, but some I couldn't see listed in the databases on bad ingredients.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: OCTINOXATE 7.50% [] TITANIUM DIOXIDE 3.00%

INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED [] PHENYL TRIMETHICONE []

BUTYLENE GLYCOL [] PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRAOCTANOATE [] SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS

(JOJOBA) SEED OIL [] PETROLATUM [] BIOSACCHARIDE GUM - 1 [] STEARETH-21 []

GLYCERYL STEARATE [] SODIUM HYALURONATE [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] POLYMETHYL

METHACRYLATE [] MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE [] ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN [] CETYL

ALCOHOL [] ACRYLAMIDE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYLTAURATE COPOLYMER [] PEG-12

DIMETHICONE [] ISOHEXADECANE [] LECITHIN [] XANTHAN GUM [] STEARETH-2 []

POTASSIUM STEARATE [] CITRIC ACID [] FRAGRANCE (PARFUM) [] LIMONENE []

LINALOOL [] BENZYL SALICYLATE [] POLYSORBATE 80 [] DISODIUM EDTA [] BHT []

SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE [] PHENOXYETHANOL [] METHYLPARABEN [] PROPYLPARABEN

[] BUTYLPARABEN [] ISOPROPYLPARABEN [] ISOBUTYLPARABEN [] [+/-(MAY

CONTAIN) TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) [] IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI

Thanks so much!!

Edited by Prettywords

I'm a strong believer in almost all synthetic chemicals being bad, but I can definitely tell you that added fragrance is definitely bad. My skin breaks out any time I use anything with an added synthetic fragrance. As well I notice there are lots of different parabens in this list, which are generally regarded as bad for the skin.

I would not even consider using any of the following:

STEARETH-21, MAGNESIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, PEG-12 DIMETHICONE, STEARETH-2, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, POLYSORBATE 80, BHT, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, ISOPROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), OCTINOXATE.

These chemicals all receive a moderate hazard rating on the skindeep database, many of them even receive a 6, only one hazard point away from being considered a high hazard ingredient. I would worry that these ingredients could cause more harm than good for your skin, and wouldn't want to risk it personally.

Thanks for your response!

I'm not crazy about the fragrance either. I don't know why they think that's necessary, but I guess it's because so many people bitch when it smells like anything other than flowers or perfume.

Do you think those ingredients are just plain bad for the skin/body to absorb or that it will cause breakouts?

I wish I could find something harmless but looks good. I have scars so I need to wear makeup. MMU breaks me out and I'm also allergic to something in all of them...grrr.

I hate the whole fragrance thing. I have a friend who makes his own soap, and he uses essential oils to add a fragrance which I think is awesome. Patchouli oatmeal is unreal.

I think that first of all these ingredients are bad for the body to absorb, and I wouldn't doubt that they could cause breakouts. I was using a fairly natural cleanser, but have recently switched to an all natural approach and I found that works even better. UMF 16+ manuka honey and chamomile lavender tea as a toner. I as well have scars, and this has been helping to fade them too! I loved my Korres brand white tea cleanser while I was using it. I only switched because I decided to give up all synthetic chemicals.

I actually don't really wear makeup, but due to the consistency I don't think it would work very well. Occasionally I wear mascara, which I use jojoba oil to remove. I bet you could use jojoba as a makeup remover for skin makeup as well. I have heard of people using EVOO as well to remove makeup. I wanted to start using the manuka in my tea as well actually, but it's so gosh darn expensive. I have just been drinking a locally harvested raw organic honey in my tea, I like the taste better than manuka as well, I find manuka honey has somewhat of an antibacterial taste almost.

I love it in my tea or even just with hot water. I once put it on toast. I really like things with a strong taste though.

Jojoba straight breaks me out. I used EVOO to remove eye makeup a few weeks ago and it gave me a bunch of bumps around my eyes. Oils straight = major problems for me. They can be in products lower on the list, but not straight.

I could try the manuka in the am, but like you said, it's so frickin' expensive!

Edited by Prettywords

It really is expensive! That's a good idea though. My skin's gotten to the point now where I'm happy enough with it that I can go without makeup for the day. I work in a clothing store that embraces the "natural" approach, so I'm not required to wear it for work. Also the manuka honey looks cheaper online, I paid about $40 for my little jar of UMF 16+.

So expensive. I just got a really good deal on one about a month ago for like $30. Still expensive and the jar is small like you said.

I think eventually I'll try it in the am, but I can't right now because I've recently changed a lot of things and I won't know what's not working or working.

My acne is gone, but I have scarring (the indented kind) so I need makeup.