Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hkimmy17

If I Stop Putting Stuff On My Face (Caveman Apprach?) Will My Acne Go Away?

Hi everyone!

I'm 18 years old and I have moderately severe acne.

14vnq0o.jpg

It's like that on both sides of my face and I also have a lot of pimples on my cheeks and around my nose.

I have tried proactiv and it works, but I stopped using it because it feels too harsh on my skin so right now I'm using Body Shop's tea tree stuff, like the cleanser, toner, the lotion, and the tea tree oil the set came with. It doesn't really do anything to my skin, it doesn't make my acne worse but it also doesn't help it.

So, I want to try the Caveman approach.

But the thing is, I HAVE to wear makeup, I use Chanel liquid foundation and it's water base and really gentle.

I can't go out without covering my acne it would be just disgusting.

So how do I do this caveman thing?

I don't wash my face with any cleansers right? Just blot with tissue paper when it gets too oily?

What about when I wear make up? Can I wash my face with a very gentle water based cleanser to wash it off?

And sun protection and moisture? Is it okay if I put on Purpose Moisturizer with SPF 15 when I go out?

How long until I can expect to see results?

One time I didn't wash my face for like 3 days and I broke out and it was horrible ;_;

Also, I don't have health insurance so I can't go see a dermatologist or anything sad.png

Okay well thanks in advance to everyone who replies! biggrin.png

I wouldn't recommend this. I tried it. It didn't help me at all. In fact, my acne exploded and was hard to get under control again. i would suggest a dermatologist. ( I hope this doesn't sound condesceding - I tried a million holistic healthy methods to reduce my acne and it only got worse and worse)

If you do this method, I really hope it does work for you.

I quit using any medications for a while when I was overseas and my acne seemed to improve a lot. It could have been because of that or any other number of factors, like increased sun exposure and water consumption. I was also more physically active.

Ever since returning to the US a few months ago my acne has done nothing but worsen despite seeing the dermatologist. I can't say whether or not it'll work for you or not. Just sharing my experiences.

Edited by Michael93

I quit all products, except soap and water. The redness in my face reduced, which made the acne stand out even more.

First derm appointment tomorrow.

I'd personally try birth control if you're not already on it, if you can't see a derm. Also, if you CAN get to a regular doctor, try and see if they will perscribe you clindoxyl gel or benzamycin gel. It's benzoyl peroxide and an antibitioic. I am almost positive it'll help your skin, and you can pair that with changing your diet and looking at simple things that might be making your acne worse.

It could be hair products you're using, or your makeup.

You could also try spirolactone which is an anti-androgen medication. Women generally take it for excessive hair growth and things like that.

You are on the correct path. One needs to heal the acne from the inside out, not the top down. Stop using all soaps/topicals and allow your skin to grow the acid mantle it needs in order to heal itself, please read below threads.

I did this, along with controlling my sexual hormones (basically controlling my sex/masturbation frequency to once about every two weeks) and I was clear in no time flat. I have been clear for 2 years based on this and the control of sexual hormones.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/308838-the-acid-mantle/

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/303211-my-cure-for-acne/

Here is a cool blog about no soaps in general (I dont use shampoo either and my hair looks better than ever)

http://freetheanimal.com/2009/12/paleo-i-dont-care-i-like-no-soap-no-shampoo.html

I guess this could work for some, not all. Personally I tried it and just ended up with more clogged pores/inflammed pimples than I had to begin with. Plus my eczema and overall skin texture wasn't happy. Gave up after a few months. I use a natural cleanser and moisturizer now, works better for me.

Edited by Kittyx3

Maybe you could try to clean your face only with wipes that remove makeup. I heard this on youtube from a girl who also washes her face only once a week and wears makeup.

I also wash my face only 1-4 times a month because I get less pimples this way for some reason...but I do use a toner with white willow every day. I just spray it on my face and leave it to dry.

I dont have insurance either: and here are a few tips go to a general doc- they are cheaper, or find a free clinic, or even see if you are eligible for gov. insurance since you are so young. most docs will work with you jsut call around till you find a cheap place. then get a script for something cheap. retin-a is easy n cheap, you can get legit scripts from canada too. You could also go to your local planned parenthood (free or very very very cheap) and get on birth control which tends to help acne alot. just do some research on what you want ahead of time that works for skin as they may not know this, I know ortho tri cyclin is cheap(13) and supposed to be good for acne.....long story short.... I have tried the do nothing and found it doesn't work..I have tried the over the counter and it doesn't work...I think docs are the way to go

I wouldn't recommend this. I tried it. It didn't help me at all. In fact, my acne exploded and was hard to get under control again. i would suggest a dermatologist. ( I hope this doesn't sound condesceding - I tried a million holistic healthy methods to reduce my acne and it only got worse and worse)

I agree. I had a pretty good amount of acne, and I said "f--- it. I'm quitting these products". At first, it got a little worse, but then I noticed my acne wasn't really worsening. I would even run before bed, take a shower but not really let the water run over my face, and just go to sleep. When I woke up, my acne wasn't any worse. I was like, "sweet, I think this is gonna work". However, the skin starts building up REALLY bad after a few days. When you get out of the shower, you can just see a thick layer of dead skin. So, I was like maybe I'll just exfoliate a little. Let me tell you, it took quite a bit to get all most of it off. I feel like in the process of getting the dead skin off, I basically stripped my skin just as I would washing it, you know? Then it was dry where I removed the skin, and some places of my skin still had a layer of dead skin. And of course you can't moisturize...My skin didn't look TERRIBLE per se, but it didn't look good either. And after I stopped the regimen, I had quite a bad breakout. It was obvious that I trapped a lot of bad stuff in my skin during my caveman method. All-in-all, I think I went about two weeks? Not really worth it. And with you wearing makeup....yea...that just doesn't make any sense.

You are on the correct path. One needs to heal the acne from the inside out, not the top down. Stop using all soaps/topicals and allow your skin to grow the acid mantle it needs in order to heal itself, please read below threads.

I did this, along with controlling my sexual hormones (basically controlling my sex/masturbation frequency to once about every two weeks) and I was clear in no time flat. I have been clear for 2 years based on this and the control of sexual hormones.

http://www.acne.org/...he-acid-mantle/

http://www.acne.org/...-cure-for-acne/

Here is a cool blog about no soaps in general (I dont use shampoo either and my hair looks better than ever)

http://freetheanimal...no-shampoo.html

I don't understand why some people would think that something necessary for the survival of the species (sex) would have negative repercussions on one's skin. That's just silly.

I'm all for being healthy, but at some point you have to realize that you can't just say the secret to solving acne lies on internal factors alone.

If anything, I'd say cosmetics/skin care routine plays the largest role in acne (anything more than a mild case, at least). How many people do you know with moderate to severe acne have never popped/ picked a pimple, or used a plethora of skin-care products?

stuff like BP, Salicylic acid, scrubs, retinoids, etc. all play a HUGE roll on how your skin reacts.

Severe acne isn't normal, and I don't care what anyone says, you won't get severe acne from just eating unhealthy, masturbating a lot, and not exercising. No way. If you have severe acne, you probably gave it to yourself in one way or another by irritating your skin with picking, popping, using products wrong, or using products that weren't right for you.

/rant

I agree. I had a pretty good amount of acne, and I said "f--- it. I'm quitting these products". At first, it got a little worse, but then I noticed my acne wasn't really worsening. I would even run before bed, take a shower but not really let the water run over my face, and just go to sleep. When I woke up, my acne wasn't any worse. I was like, "sweet, I think this is gonna work". However, the skin starts building up REALLY bad after a few days. When you get out of the shower, you can just see a thick layer of dead skin. So, I was like maybe I'll just exfoliate a little. Let me tell you, it took quite a bit to get all most of it off. I feel like in the process of getting the dead skin off, I basically stripped my skin just as I would washing it, you know? Then it was dry where I removed the skin, and some places of my skin still had a layer of dead skin. And of course you can't moisturize...My skin didn't look TERRIBLE per se, but it didn't look good either. And after I stopped the regimen, I had quite a bad breakout. It was obvious that I trapped a lot of bad stuff in my skin during my caveman method. All-in-all, I think I went about two weeks? Not really worth it. And with you wearing makeup....yea...that just doesn't make any sense.

http://www.acne.org/...he-acid-mantle/

http://www.acne.org/...-cure-for-acne/

http://freetheanimal...no-shampoo.html

I don't understand why some people would think that something necessary for the survival of the species (sex) would have negative repercussions on one's skin. That's just silly.

I'm all for being healthy, but at some point you have to realize that you can't just say the secret to solving acne lies on internal factors alone.

If anything, I'd say cosmetics/skin care routine plays the largest role in acne (anything more than a mild case, at least). How many people do you know with moderate to severe acne have never popped/ picked a pimple, or used a plethora of skin-care products?

stuff like BP, Salicylic acid, scrubs, retinoids, etc. all play a HUGE roll on how your skin reacts.

Severe acne isn't normal, and I don't care what anyone says, you won't get severe acne from just eating unhealthy, masturbating a lot, and not exercising. No way. If you have severe acne, you probably gave it to yourself in one way or another by irritating your skin with picking, popping, using products wrong, or using products that weren't right for you.

/rant

well in my case i did. good luck on your acne adventures.

I'm washing my face with Aqueous Cream BP. It's a light, non-greasy moisturiser that is made from a mixture of emulsifying ointment (which contains paraffin oils) and water, with phenoxyethanol as an antimicrobial preservative. You can also use it in replacement for soap. It is very mild as it's designed for people with really sensitive skin conditions. It's really helping me, probably better giving something like that a go rather than not washing your face at all. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Read every single one, and all are very informative and insightful but so varied that I'm more confused now, haha!

I've decided that the caveman approach probably isn't for me, I'm just going to try to use natural and gentle products and hope it helps. I really don't want to start using harsh chemicals on my skin like BP and Salicylic acid.

I wash my face with Dove Moisturizing Beauty Bar morning and night, and at night, in the shower I use Queen Helene Mint Julep Facial Scrub, really gentle, every few days I use the mask. Been using Witch Hazel Toner morning and night, and nothing over it, unless I'm going out then I put on some SPF 15 that's oil free and non comedogenic and of course some foundation, and at night if my face feels dry some Jojoba oil.