Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lola Burns

My Not So Scientific Experiment

For 24 hours, I am replacing soda with green tea. (I drink a lot of soda.) I doubt one day will make the tiniest difference in my skin. What I'm looking for is any change in how I feel at the end of the day. And if there is any change, I'm going to keep it going for a week. And still a week probably isn't enough time for it to make an impact in my skin, but I am hopeful.

Wish me luck.

For 24 hours, I am replacing soda with green tea. (I drink a lot of soda.) I doubt one day will make the tiniest difference in my skin. What I'm looking for is any change in how I feel at the end of the day. And if there is any change, I'm going to keep it going for a week. And still a week probably isn't enough time for it to make an impact in my skin, but I am hopeful.

Wish me luck.

I tried this before, it sucked big time. I tried to cut out all refined sugars from my diet, I was still consuming fruits for my sugar. On the Friday of that week that I tried, I was drained and my body was telling me "hey asshole, get some fucking sugar in you". I felt like passing out pretty much because I allowed my blood sugar levels to go way down, somewhere they aren't suppose to be. I have a physical job as well, so I guess that could have something to do with why my body needs sugars, because I burn them off. I immediately went to the nearest gas station and got a dove chocolate ice cream bar and sweet tea. That experienced sucked, and ever since then I have been eating refined sugars, nothing excessive though. Diet or any other food never caused me to break out though.

Good luck, will be interesting to hear what your experience is like.

Wish me luck.

I tried this before, it sucked big time. I tried to cut out all refined sugars from my diet, I was still consuming fruits for my sugar. On the Friday of that week that I tried, I was drained and my body was telling me "hey asshole, get some fucking sugar in you". I felt like passing out pretty much because I allowed my blood sugar levels to go way down, somewhere they aren't suppose to be. I have a physical job as well, so I guess that could have something to do with why my body needs sugars, because I burn them off. I immediately went to the nearest gas station and got a dove chocolate ice cream bar and sweet tea. That experienced sucked, and ever since then I have been eating refined sugars, nothing excessive though. Diet or any other food never caused me to break out though.

Yeah, if you start feeling faint, eat some gas station food or sugary carbohydrates. That'll perk you right up.

Dove chocolate ice cream bars have been the answer this whole time....HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO BLIND?!

Wish me luck.

Yeah, if you start feeling faint, eat some gas station food or sugary carbohydrates. That'll perk you right up.

Dove chocolate ice cream bars have been the answer this whole time....HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO BLIND?!

Haha, I don't know, perhaps you need to head on down to Lense Crafters and get that taken care of.

Wish me luck.

Oh, I'm not cutting out ALL refined sugar. Only soda. And I generally eat pretty well. I just want to see what happens if I significantly reduce my caffeine and refined sugar intake. See if maybe I can get to sleep before 2am tonight. And matcha (my green tea of choice) does put me in a good mood. So maybe if I'm slightly less cranky (and slightly less wired from all the caffeine) I can leave my face alone for a minute and stop touching it so much.

I am definitely, definitely in support of this decision, not just for your skin, but for your overall health. (Many) sodas are full of some pretty funky stuff. And cutting down in refined sugars is NEVER a bad idea.

G'luck!

You're providing yourself with enough wishful thinking, why should anyone provide you more?

Do it for a week, at least.

Baby steps.

I am definitely, definitely in support of this decision, not just for your skin, but for your overall health. (Many) sodas are full of some pretty funky stuff. And cutting down in refined sugars is NEVER a bad idea.

G'luck!

THANK YOU!

Oh, I'm not cutting out ALL refined sugar. Only soda. And I generally eat pretty well. I just want to see what happens if I significantly reduce my caffeine and refined sugar intake. See if maybe I can get to sleep before 2am tonight. And matcha (my green tea of choice) does put me in a good mood. So maybe if I'm slightly less cranky (and slightly less wired from all the caffeine) I can leave my face alone for a minute and stop touching it so much.

You got that right. I use to drink a cup of joe when i got home from work everyday, then I started to wonder why I was waking up in the middle of the night taking a leak and not going to bed until midnight on the weekdays. Prolly will chill you out a bit, help you to relax. I only drink coffee now if I really need it, like if I have to leave really early or something.

Tea is pretty good though, I love peppermint tea, haven't made it in awhile, but I will later tonight. What's your favorite?

Edited by steven m jacobson

You got that right. I use to drink a cup of joe when i got home from work everyday, then I started to wonder why I was waking up in the middle of the night taking a leak and not going to bed until midnight on the weekdays. Prolly will chill you out a bit, help you to relax. I only drink coffee now if I really need it, like if I have to leave really early or something.

Tea is pretty good though, I love peppermint tea, haven't made it in awhile, but I will later tonight. What's your favorite?

Stash Cranberry Pomegranate! And I love Teavana Imperial Grade Matcha. And good ol' fashioned chamomile.

Edited by Lola Burns

Stash Cranberry Pomegranate! And I love Teavana Imperial Grade Matcha. And good ol' fashioned chamomile.

Word.

Wish me luck.

Unfortunately your interpretation of what your body was telling you was a bit off.

Unless you're a reactive hypoglycemic, you were most likely experiencing ketosis, which is a good thing. Whenever I first fasted and entered ketosis, same thing happened. You feel like crap and roll around the floor writhing in pain. Then the next day you feel AWESOME. The more frequently your body is in a ketogenic state, the less of an impact going from glycolysis to ketosis has in regards to feeling like you're dying.

You simply didn't do it for long enough. Make lots of simple herb soups/ with some sea salt to keep your electrolyte balance up. Drink lots of water and herbal teas. More than you would normally.

Nobody (no body) NEEDS sugar, as in chocolate bars and soft drinks. No matter how hard you work your body, sugar will always, always, always be somthing that's bad for you. Having an occasional (once a week or less) treat might be ok for some people, but not all.

If you cut out all refined sugars you're going to have to eat real food to keep your blood sugar levels balanced. Unless you're on a fast you're going to need to fuel your body, and sugar aint it. If anything refined sugars mess with your blood sugar levels waaaay more than most foods.

As mentioned before, going through a ketogenic state is essential to heal and get rid of waste, so just keep drinking water, herbal teas and eating proper food 5 times a day and your blood sugar levels should be fine.

You're providing yourself with enough wishful thinking, why should anyone provide you more?

Do it for life. Drinking sugar throughout the day without low GI foods to reduce the impact is incredibly bad for you. It's one of the worst things the typical American does to themselves. And then there's the other bad stuff in soda which has a massive amount of sugar, phosphoric acid that depletes the calcium from your bones, artificial colors and chemicals...

Versus the good stuff in tea.

Edited by alternativista

Do it for life. Drinking sugar throughout the day without low GI foods to reduce the impact is incredibly bad for you. It's one of the worst things the typical American does to themselves. And then there's the other bad stuff in soda which has a massive amount of sugar, phosphoric acid that depletes the calcium from your bones, artificial colors and chemicals...

Versus the good stuff in tea.

I don't know what low GI foods are.

If I say I'm going to commit myself to anything for LIFE, I'm setting myself up for failure. So let's call it a week, at the end of the week, maybe I'll go a month, in a month I might say 3 months, then 6, then in a year I probably won't even think about it anymore.

I'm doing this for 2 reasons: I have chronic insomnia and I'm pretty sure I'm in a constant state of dehydration.

Well you should learn. They are foods which have the least impact on your blood sugar. High glycemic foods/meals combined with lack of nutrients and physical activity are at the root of most of the health conditions this sickly culture suffers from. And is the reason people become so decrepit as they age. Although 'diseases' of aging like type II diabetes are affecting younger and younger people, even children, because of how incredibly bad the average diet and lifestyle has become. And sodas and other sugary drinks are major culprits.

See if this helps your willpower. It accelerates aging. You want to prevent wrinkles don't you?

Edited by alternativista

Well you should learn. They are foods which have the least impact on your blood sugar. High glycemic foods/meals combined with lack of nutrients and physical activity are at the root of most of the health conditions this sickly culture suffers from. And is the reason people become so decrepit as they age. Although 'diseases' of aging like type II diabetes are affecting younger and younger people, even children, because of how incredibly bad the average diet and lifestyle has become. And sodas and other sugary drinks are major culprits.

See if this helps your willpower. It accelerates aging. You want to prevent wrinkles don't you?

"The glycemic index is significantly altered by the type of food, its ripeness, processing, the length of storage, cooking methods, and its variety (white potatoes are a notable example, ranging from moderate to very high GI even within the same variety)."...... to that I say "WHAT?!"

But yes, seeing my peers with burgeoning crows feet is certainly a motivator. And I think I'm seeing the beginnings of worry lines on my forehead.

Oh, and if anyone cares, I'm almost through day 2. I didn't get to sleep any early than usual BUT I did wake up 2 hours earlier than my body usually likes (without an alarm) AND I didn't feel like shit.

"The glycemic index is significantly altered by the type of food, its ripeness, processing, the length of storage, cooking methods, and its variety (white potatoes are a notable example, ranging from moderate to very high GI even within the same variety)."...... to that I say "WHAT?!"

But yes, seeing my peers with burgeoning crows feet is certainly a motivator. And I think I'm seeing the beginnings of worry lines on my forehead.

Oh, and if anyone cares, I'm almost through day 2. I didn't get to sleep any early than usual BUT I did wake up 2 hours earlier than my body usually likes (without an alarm) AND I didn't feel like shit.

Stuff you eat turns to glucose in your body at different rates. Like mangoes turn to glucose really quickly, so does white rice. Meat and veggies take longer than fruit which is why they're encouraged for people watching their glycemic intake (which should be everyone, not just diabetics). Also glycemic load is more important than glycemic index on it's own, because having a home-cooked meal and THEN the mango or whatever after isn't going to overload your body with sugar, essentially. Not that glucose isn't an important factor in your inner processes but you don't want too much at once. Screws with your hormones.

So regular sucrose and namely fructose (high fructose corn syrup, most products on the shelves in conventional grocery stores aren't without it, as it is extremely cheap for companies to use) is basically poison for those with insulin resistance (when glucose can no longer pass through your little cells, who are screaming "enough's enough!" at you) and your body doesn't make enough insulin to process the rest of it, so it wreaks havoc on your endocrine system. Maybe look up what the endocrine system is responsible for sometime, it's different parts. Reading about adrenal glands blows my mind sometimes.

Also this may be a good video to watch if you're looking for more motivation to stop drinking soda/ingesting HFCS. Someone posted it fairly recently on here.

Good to hear you didn't feel like shit. You deserve to feel good all the time, everyone does. :)

corgisoulpower - Thank you. I think I get it. I also think I should probably do some homework.

So, my regular diet consists largely of whatever fruits are in season, veggies (including a lot of home grown leafy greens, tomatoes, onions and peppers), eggs, cheese (gorgonzola, goat cheese, gouda, brie), english muffins, baguettes, sourdough, sweet potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, beef, chicken, salmon, bacon (ok, not the best thing for me), pistachios, walnuts, dried cranberries and bananas that aren't quite ripe. I do go through a good amount of butter and olive oil, but at least it's not margarine, right? And I do love my dark chocolate (60% cacao and up. The darker the better). Most of this stuff is organic and we don't eat out very often. (my boyfriend is one hell of a cook.) Should I be concerned or am I doing ok?

Update!

Something is happening. My face is actually soft again! My hands feel like shit (having to wash them about 60 more times a day because I'm having to pee so much). This is awesome. Fuck soda. Yay matcha!

Update!

Something is happening. My face is actually soft again! My hands feel like shit (having to wash them about 60 more times a day because I'm having to pee so much). This is awesome. Fuck soda. Yay matcha!

Congratulations.

corgisoulpower - Thank you. I think I get it. I also think I should probably do some homework.

So, my regular diet consists largely of whatever fruits are in season, veggies (including a lot of home grown leafy greens, tomatoes, onions and peppers), eggs, cheese (gorgonzola, goat cheese, gouda, brie), english muffins, baguettes, sourdough, sweet potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, beef, chicken, salmon, bacon (ok, not the best thing for me), pistachios, walnuts, dried cranberries and bananas that aren't quite ripe. I do go through a good amount of butter and olive oil, but at least it's not margarine, right? And I do love my dark chocolate (60% cacao and up. The darker the better). Most of this stuff is organic and we don't eat out very often. (my boyfriend is one hell of a cook.) Should I be concerned or am I doing ok?

For your next step, let me recommend removing all the breads in that list plus the potatoes in that list would examples of high GI foods. If you have them with fats, you'll reduce the glycemic impact of the meal. However, it's extremely common to be intolerant to gluten which causes many problems. You should try avoiding gluten completely for at least a month to see if you notice any difference. Even if you aren't intolerant, it isn't good for anyone and should not be a big part of your diet. The same applies to the dairy.

Update!

Congratulations.

For your next step, let me recommend removing all the breads in that list plus the potatoes in that list would examples of high GI foods. If you have them with fats, you'll reduce the glycemic impact of the meal. However, it's extremely common to be intolerant to gluten which causes many problems. You should try avoiding gluten completely for at least a month to see if you notice any difference. Even if you aren't intolerant, it isn't good for anyone and should not be a big part of your diet. The same applies to the dairy.

I could do gluten free for a month. Daily free would be tougher. A month without cheese might kill me.

A month without cheese might kill me.

Or it might not, only one way to find out!

Congrats again.

Thanks.

Ok, so it probably won't kill me. I just like cheese.

I would like to start a new thread, but I'm experiencing some technical difficulties. Anyway, I'd like some opinions on this tea:

http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/skin-detox/

I'm a bit wary of teas that come in bags like this (rather than loose leaf). But maybe all that talk about loose leaf tea being superior is just a marketing ploy. I don't know. So, what do you guys think? Is this Yogi tea crap or does it have some merit?