Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nocode

Post-Workout Cleansing

Hello - I've been reading a lot on the forum, but this ismy first post. I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations for post-workout cleansing? I'm pretty active and I have an excessive sweating condition (hyperhydrosis) so when I workout, I sweat a lot more than the average person. I think this caused the neck/chin acne that I've been experiencing over the past year. I did my first half-marathon and when you're training, you're running between 1-2 hours each session and then obviously for the race (my time was about 2 hours). Since the race, I haven't been able to get rid of my acne on my neck. I've tried the regime, oil cleansing method, differin, and a whole bunch of other facial cleansers, but none have given me consistent results. I'm 28 and can barely grow facial hair and do not even shave in the problematic area. I generally eat pretty well and don't drink as much alcohol as I used to. I used to have occasional breakouts, but i haven't had an extended experience like this. I even tried not working out as much to see if that helped and it hasn't.

I've doing some reading and this is what I'm trying right now: Cetaphil gentle bar soap cleanser, Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner and Jojoba oil. I still have a large amount of Differin from my prescription. I've used some form of BP in the past, but because of my excessive sweating, it would bleach my clothes (I'm in NY and even on 50 degree weather, I'm sweating). I used to use Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer but for some reason, they changed the formula and it's no longer effective on me.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

It might not really be acne. and even if it is, might not be due to sweating. Perhaps in your training you began to eat something you have an intolerance for. Or developed an intolerance for something. I used to get cysts on my jaw and neck and it turned out to be a reaction to most citrus.

Regardless, don't use BP, ever. And I doubt a cleanser will solve the problem either. Bacteria are the least important factor in acne formation.

What's the acne like? Inflamed?

Just use the jojoba for cleansing! It may feel heavy but it helps your skin normalize its pH faster. Add drops of it to a moisturizer or sunscreen if you use them in daily life/when running. I've just started using a moisturizing sunscreen by PCA and it could be the zinc oxide but my skin likes it. I think moisturizers/camellia oil are what feels most natural on my face.