Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's a new year! And one of my biggest (and most difficult) resolutions is to start living dairy free. I don't know how well I'll stick to this but I'm hoping I can cope. Dairy has been thought of as a contributing factor to acne, but it is not scientifically proven and doctors have said it isn't the case for everyone. I don't know myself if it is a huge cause for my skin, but we'll see how things go. It's already been quite difficult going dairy free as that means no more chocolate, ice cream, butter, cream, scrambled eggs.... the lot.

Maybe half way through the year I'll decide to change my eating habits to "vegetarian" and see how well that goes. Anyone else going dairy free/ already dairy free? Any suggestions...tips?

Do dairy-free for like a month and in that time cut back if not eliminate sugar. Use fruit to satisfy your sweet tooth! Stick to carbohydrates like brown rice and quinoa, and soak/sprout them before consuming. Eat more fish, use more spices, choose colorful foods. Don't look at bright lights before you go to bed and try to stick to a regular sleep cycle. Stop using topicals for awhile, opt for jojoba or camellia oil to cleanse occasionally. Pay more attention to glycemic load than index. Then try a little kefir or goat cheese or butter, see how you feel.

And I'd say stick to meat from animals who got lots of sunshine and roaming area to eat whatever they were meant to. Live like the animal you'd be the most comfortable eating.

It's a new year! And one of my biggest (and most difficult) resolutions is to start living dairy free. I don't know how well I'll stick to this but I'm hoping I can cope. Dairy has been thought of as a contributing factor to acne, but it is not scientifically proven and doctors have said it isn't the case for everyone. I don't know myself if it is a huge cause for my skin, but we'll see how things go. It's already been quite difficult going dairy free as that means no more chocolate, ice cream, butter, cream, scrambled eggs.... the lot.

Maybe half way through the year I'll decide to change my eating habits to "vegetarian" and see how well that goes. Anyone else going dairy free/ already dairy free? Any suggestions...tips?

You will know after a couple days if your Dairy Sensitive. As for choclate, it has atleast 4 of the most common allergens in it (Wheat, Milk, Soy, & Peanut).

I never used to give much weight to the theory that dairy and so on could be having such a negative impact on my skin. After all, we're taught as children to drink plenty of milk and that eggs and the like are good for us. With that in mind, it just seems kind of strange that these "normal" foods could cause problems, especially when all the myths and cliches revolve around fatty foods and stuff like that. None of them mention things like dairy.

I haven't cut it out totally but I have reduced my intake. One serving of milk a day with my breakfast cereal and I've cut out boiled milk which I now know I have an intolerance of. That was something I consumed every day beforehand. I've reduced the amount of eggs I eat as that was on the list. Reduced the amount of cheese I eat and cut out the processed stuff completely. Also steering clear of creams and custards and the like.

Five weeks into the reduced dairy thing and my skin is 100% clear for the first time in 13 years. Not only that, the eczema I'd had for a few years on and off vanished without trace a few weeks ago. If it wasn't acne, it was eczema, there was always some visible problem on my face and I couldn't even remember what it was like to not be treating something with topicals. Now, there's just this great feeling of knowing that I'm in control of my skin via my diet. It's a win-win situation.

For half my life, I had been going through all manner of treatments and medications and so on, but it was always going to be a losing battle if my body couldn't tolerate so much dairy and was constantly releasing toxins or whatever from the things it couldn't process properly. I'm amazed how fast it's worked and how well it's worked. I'd never given it much attention before, like I said, but now I'm certain that it's all about what we put into our bodies. I guess I just had to experience it first-hand in order to buy it, so to speak.

So I totally agree with what corgisoulpower said. Stick with it for a month and see what happens. It flies by to be honest and if you see great results, you'll want to carry it on anyway! smile.png

Edited by PaulH85

i do believe dairy is a big cause of acne. ALOT of people that got rid of their acne on this website started their diet by first eliminating dairy for a start and saw improvements. and no i do not think you will know in 3 days.. i think that it only takes 3-4 days for the things you eat to process toxins through the skin. but seems how youve been eating and drinking dairy all your life it will take a good month to actually completely rid your body of all the dairy. i used to drink milk religiously and i never had acne. now this winter i got hit hard with acne. ive tried strict diet for almost 2 months or so and i never saw a huge impact change on my acne, but i still do not eat or drink dairy at all just in case... so every one is different. i have to find something else to control my genetic acne instead of diet which sucks because i ate pretty much nothing but fruits and veggies for like 2 months lol.. and corgisoulpower is right fruits are really good exchange for sweets. i eat apples and bananas raisins berries all the time they are delish! and you can make smoothies too which is awesome. corgisoulpower gave some extremely good pointers take all those into account! good luck!

Good luck! I've been dairy free since September and milk free for 2 years, and I don't miss it at all. I saw some good improvements after a month with my mild-moderate acne.

Good luck! I've been dairy free since September and milk free for 2 years, and I don't miss it at all. I saw some good improvements after a month with my mild-moderate acne.

but you still have acne???

Same question as Steven - I was wondering if you're still clear? Curious because it's only been just over a month for me and I've been clear for two weeks. I guess I'm trying gauge the likelihood of that continuing and if the reduced dairy will give me results like this in the long term. I'd imagine that if it works for several months, no reason why it can't carry on and on. :)

Why no scrambled eggs or chocolate? You don't need dairy for those things. Plenty of chocolate is dairy free. And scrambled eggs? lol I guess we don't do it that way where I'm from because I've never in my life heard of someone putting milk in there. But you could use coconut or some other milk if you wanted to.

I've been dairy free going on three years now. :) Congrats on your awesome choice. It will help your health in so many ways other than acne.

You might notice a difference in a couple of days, or it might take a month. It depends on your particular intolerance, if you even have one. But even if you don't, there are a number of other ways that dairy impacts acne-- it's insulinemic, low fat is high GI, it contains IGF1 which directly affects acne and is also produced in your body triggered by insulin, and it contains a precursor to DHT which is a version of testosterone directly involved in excessive sebum. So it shouldn't be a big part of your diet.

Avoiding dairy made no noticeable impact on my skin, but still I limit it.

Why no scrambled eggs or chocolate? You don't need dairy for those things. Plenty of chocolate is dairy free. And scrambled eggs? lol I guess we don't do it that way where I'm from because I've never in my life heard of someone putting milk in there.

Edited by alternativista

Yes, that's always how I've made them! Just broke them and stirred them around. That was how my mom taught me when I was little. It wasn't until I lived with my boyfriend that I saw someone dump them all into a mixing bowl and stir them with the beater things... but even he doesn't add milk.

This thread says a lot about Acne. I remember reading it when it was started and didn't give it a 2nd thought. SMH

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/303628-titanium-allergy-very-rare-i-think-it-is-causing-my-acne/

Like in my case, food dosen't play a part in Acne (sugar, processed food, ect..). It's just another type of Allergic Reaction to something.

Dairy free is a great step for most people. I was a big fan of drinking milk - slowly came off it and my acne cleared up quite well. Never drink milk now, apart from odd times in coffee/tea, in the new year I'm switching to green tea only, no milk. Occasionally I will eat dairy (cheese on a pizza for example if I'm out) but I try and limit this. Others have to do more than just dairy but for many it's a good start. My appetite puts me towards plain foods anyway - I often eat very plain food.

As the guy above says though - for some people it makes no difference.

I've been dairy free since September and it's made a huge impact on my skin. I've heard dairy, gluten and peanuts are 3 of the biggest food triggers for acne. I've also been vegetarian for over a year, the only reason I'm not a vegan is because I use honey! Dairy free alone isn't the solution to my acne though, peanuts, soy, citrus, refined sugars and high sodium foods all cause me to break out. Dairy free is a great first step though, hopefully you'll notice a big improvement!

I know you like to (attempt to) disprove the whole diet-acne thing, but clearly dairy wasn't the only factor in his/her acne.

I know you like to (attempt to) disprove the whole diet-acne thing, but clearly dairy wasn't the only factor in his/her acne.

If you knew me so well then you would stop to read my comments, but you don't know me. I do not disprove anything, everything I state is an opinion based on my personal experiences. Yes, acne can be controlled to a certain extent with diet, however, diet does not get to the under lying problem for everyone, even people that manage to still control most of it with diet are still missing a key component in getting 100% clear skin.

Edited by steven m jacobson

Wow thanks a lot guys for your feedback. Really! I enjoy reading it.

And about the scrambled eggs thing... My dad makes them with milk, and so I've just always made them that way too. But anyway that's not the point of this thread. ;)

I've discovered that it really is difficult to suddenly stop eating dairy all together. My family is really big on cheese, so the fact that I have to sit back and watch them eat it without me makes me feel a bit "annoying" in the sense that I have to have a whole different meal all together. I do think that dairy does affect my skin, as I used to eat cereal a lot with milk, and my skin would then be bumpy and covered in spots. My skin currently is quite bad because it's that time of the month (ehem), but generally it's been pretty crap. Many of my friends and family think I'm whack for trying to do this "dairy free" diet, but understand my reasons for doing so. If anyone has any good snacks or meals that are dairy free and taste amazing, please let me know! I'd love to try them. :)

Wow thanks a lot guys for your feedback. Really! I enjoy reading it.

And about the scrambled eggs thing... My dad makes them with milk, and so I've just always made them that way too. But anyway that's not the point of this thread. wink.png

I've discovered that it really is difficult to suddenly stop eating dairy all together. My family is really big on cheese, so the fact that I have to sit back and watch them eat it without me makes me feel a bit "annoying" in the sense that I have to have a whole different meal all together. I do think that dairy does affect my skin, as I used to eat cereal a lot with milk, and my skin would then be bumpy and covered in spots. My skin currently is quite bad because it's that time of the month (ehem), but generally it's been pretty crap. Many of my friends and family think I'm whack for trying to do this "dairy free" diet, but understand my reasons for doing so. If anyone has any good snacks or meals that are dairy free and taste amazing, please let me know! I'd love to try them. smile.png

fruit for snacks. and nuts i like to munch on carrots and celery also for snack. youre not crazy, i just tell my mom whatever she makes ie. pasta to not add the parm in it during the cooking and tell ppl to put it on top after they get theyre spaghetti that way i could eat it without the cheese, although i dont think spaghetti is really good for dieting though lol just an example. but i also had to eat a lot o different things sometimes when my family would eat. its the sacrafice you have to be willing to make for clearer skin or would you rather enjoy that good food for that day and then get punished a week down the road.. all though diet does not effect my acne thats just what a good way to look at it to challenege yourself to eat better. Good luck! rolleyes.gif

Dairy is extremely addictive. You're going to go through some hard times and cravings when getting off it. I didn't even like it very much (in that it wasn't my favorite food ever or anything) and I was still having intense cravings for it for two years after getting off it.

I do think that dairy does affect my skin, as I used to eat cereal a lot with milk, and my skin would then be bumpy and covered in spots.

Well, the cereal most likely had a lot to do with that.

Yeah, grains are worse than dairy imo

I go back and forth about that. Givin' up on the dairy for awhile but I cooked a little with quinoa last night. Cooked quinoa served cold with fresh spinach makes for a good salad also, methinks. A friend I have introduced me to the idea.

Huh? Nope. Mostly waiting for old spots to fade, with the occasional spot here and there. I'm still "finetuning" my diet and going through 1-2 eliminations each month. Dairy and wheat were the first things I cut out and saw improvement with my mild-moderate acne in a month or so. Even got a few comments. And chunkylard is correct, I don't believe dairy is the end-all-be-all for me, and I didn't mean to imply so for anybody else. Sorry. I still need time to heal and learn about my "triggers".