Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zahid

How To Fade Marks Left Behind By Acne

My acne has gone but I am now left with dark marks here and there.

What is the best way to get rid of these?

I CURRENTLY follow the regimen of FACEWASH > BENZOYL PEROXIDE > MOISTURISER twice everyday but it's very slow to fade the marks. Furthermore, the area under my lips becomes really dark if I use Benozyl Peroxide there!

These are the current stuff I use

- Garnier Exfo-brusher wash

- Oxy 2.5% Benzoyl cream

- Simple Light moisturizer.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

A skin lightener with hydroquinone would work. But u cant use at the same time with BP since it will cause a dark staining.

A chemical exfoliant would help and an SPF to prevent the dark spots from returning.

Always wear SPF, it's the first way to prevent new dark spots and to keep the old ones faded. If you avoid putting BP on the marks you will see a difference. They will get lighter with less BP. Also, using a serum with some ingredient(s) like: kojic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, bearberry, vitamin C, etc will help fade. I use Image Skincare Skin Lightening Serum and I love it. It's gentle enough to use with BP (I use it too).

http://www.imageskincare.com/ageless_total_skin_lightening_serum.php

Thanks for the replies guys. I am and Indian , so my skin is already accustomed to the sun. Don't think SPF usage really makes any difference for me ?

Nelo18, can you recommend me some non-prescription counter hydroquinone skin lighteners? Preferably ones by Clearasil, Clean & Clear , Neutrogena, Olay, etc.

californiaEstie, we definitely dont get that Serum in the UK.

EDIT: Just found out hydroquinone has been banned in EU since 2001!

Edited by zahid

I've got the same problem! My acne is nearly gone (I get a new one sometimes) but on the skin above my upper lip and my chin are some dark/red marks and it really bothers me...so I'm going to follow this thread :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I am and Indian , so my skin is already accustomed to the sun. Don't think SPF usage really makes any difference for me ?

Nelo18, can you recommend me some non-prescription counter hydroquinone skin lighteners? Preferably ones by Clearasil, Clean & Clear , Neutrogena, Olay, etc.

californiaEstie, we definitely dont get that Serum in the UK.

EDIT: Just found out hydroquinone has been banned in EU since 2001!

Dont be scared to use hydroquinone. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/hydroquinone-for-skin-lightening.aspx

i recommend Black and White Bleaching Cream. U can find on Amazon for $5-7.

Ok, here's an update.

FADEOUT is absolute junk! Oily like and actually contributed to getting acne which weren't there ebfore. ARGH!

I bought Black&White bleahc cream and have been using that for 2 weeks now. I use facewash and then apply the cream twice a day. It's not an overnight miracle ( sigh! ) but at least things are improving. Marks left behind my acne are fading and results are acceptable.

I'm currently using 50% lactic acid peel for my dark marks. I'm on my third week and I'm seeing noticeable differences. However, for me, 50% isn't enough. I'll be purchasing an 80% bottle in the following weeks.

Have more updates.

I have a lot of marks on my chin and I used the Hydroquinone cream to cover my entire chin. Now, my chin looks fairer than the rest of my face! I used Benzoyl Peroxide and it has toned down the brightness!

I have started following this everyday :

1. Garnier Salicylic acid scrub facewash

2. Lemon juice on cotton and spread on my face for 10-15 mins.

3. Wash lemon juice off face and then apply hydroquinone ONLY TO the mark/s , rather than a whole region

4. Use Clean & Clear Vitamin C and Ginseng facewash before going to bed

5. Apply hydrquinone again to the mark/s

Hi!

I want to use Hydroquinone in my Regimen. Where should I put it? Where do you fit it in? After I cleanse, treat, and lotionize I don't feel that putting the hydroquinone on my face would help very much, because of all the chemicals already sitting on my face. I have to do the Regimen twice a day for sure. After reading a little more, it seems I shouldn't mix hydroquinone and benzo together. So should I be using a different night routine? I really like using the benzo twice a day and my face looks to good, I'm hesitant about switching to salycic acid. Advice?

Forever Grateful

Edited by cheer

I highly recommend moisturizer with SPF. I have darker skin and darker skinned people are more prone to post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation (dark spots). Sunscreen (minimum SPF 15) will help prevent your dark spots from getting darker. Exfoliating also helps.

Hi!

I want to use Hydroquinone in my Regimen. Where should I put it? Where do you fit it in? After I cleanse, treat, and lotionize I don't feel that putting the hydroquinone on my face would help very much, because of all the chemicals already sitting on my face. I have to do the Regimen twice a day for sure. After reading a little more, it seems I shouldn't mix hydroquinone and benzo together. So should I be using a different night routine? I really like using the benzo twice a day and my face looks to good, I'm hesitant about switching to salycic acid. Advice?

Forever Grateful

Hi cheer

First of all, you need to stop using everything else if you want to use Hydroquinone , HQ. Just use a exfoliating facewash,dry your face, and using a cotton bud apply the cream ONLY onto the dark spots on your face. Do the whole facewash >HQ regimen this twice a day.

If you have facewashed and have not applied HQ, then only you can use a non-oily moisturizer.

I have tried using Bio Oil recently. Erm.. after a week I havent noticed anything. Not sure how long you are supposed to use this.

Hi!

Forever Grateful

U cant use Hydroquionone at the same time with BP, it will cause a dark stain. Maybe BP in the AM and Hydroquinone in the PM.

I apply Hydroquione before my moisturizer/SPF.

I have decided to stop using BioOil. I noticed a few new white stuff filled pimples ever since I used it.

Next to move on to .... lactic acid. What commerically available products out there have lactic acid ?

I have decided to stop using BioOil. I noticed a few new white stuff filled pimples ever since I used it.

Next to move on to .... lactic acid. What commerically available products out there have lactic acid ?

bio oil is the dumbest product ever, its just mineral oil. http://www.beautypedia.com/search.aspx?bid=259&k=bio&rid=%2c1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c5%2c6%2c7%2c8%2c&sf=%2c1%2c2%2c3%2c4%2c#&&8z65XWC6ceWXxmM6QwAwVsKZ+MCB1gbEygd13qc1TWkl/ri+xHRR+e1w1Gp6MsBwGeDyGaZAREW/f6TwrxFRrRb4VvDcY2AaVnhihYWa6/bIYz1S6FWkz759V3HuKPBdFPeKV+WLnkDyWOzrBYURGP4EFUay/9rCM3R/1H3ixPVCl927sD/MRvM9diSWonL1FPgP4cR7j37oTBS1XeoR37ihwPOeWlmNwsWwte3GbKaavu7r7fVXHDQNPiM=

Lactic acid just helps exfoliate much faster. just use a hypdroquinone product.

Have now started with this regime.

Lemon juice on cotton wool twice a day

And, then Hydroquinone twice a daya s well after washing off the lemon juice.

are u still using black and white bleaching cream? i feel like its breaking me out. are u having any problems with it?

Yup, I am still using it. The whitening on the marks is wayyyyy too slow. I am not having any new acne on the areas where I have used it.

I am going to go for Glycolic acid as I need something that's much faster.

Yup, I am still using it. The whitening on the marks is wayyyyy too slow. I am not having any new acne on the areas where I have used it.

try a higher percentage, like 4% hydroquinone. but u have to get a prescriptrion...or u can find at amazon, but its like 40 bucks.

try a higher percentage, like 4% hydroquinone. but u have to get a prescriptrion...or u can find at amazon, but its like 40 bucks.

Hydroquinone is banned in the EU. And, the seller who sells it on Amazon gets his stock from US. 2% is the max I can get here for known brands.