Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and hoping you guys would be able to assist in helping me with my acne problem! I'm 23 years old and have been breaking out since last summer. Before then I never really had a problem with acne at all.. a spot or two now and then but nothing major. But all of a sudden these spots have been popping out of no where (on my cheeks & forehead)! sad.png My doctor prescribed me Tetracycline for 3 months, and my skin had improved majorly. However, when my prescription was up it all came back a few weeks after. I'm not on any oral medication at the moment, but I am taking Dalacin T topical solution. My doctor suggested that I try Accutane if I was still have problems after Tetra, but am afraid of the side effects and that it may be too strong for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

post-165016-0-51674300-1325461187_thumb.

post-165016-0-73955600-1325461190_thumb.

post-165016-0-51674300-1325461187_thumb.

post-165016-0-73955600-1325461190_thumb.

Have you thought about diet changes? Your acne looks very similar to the acne I have had in the past. My breakouts on my cheeks looked identical to your pictures. I made diet changes and almost entirely cleared my skin. I have been vegetarian for over a year now, but about 3 months ago I cut dairy, eggs, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods and peanuts from my diet. This has made a huge difference in my skin, it's improved significantly. As well I recently removed chemicals from my skincare routine. I wash with manuka honey and tone with chamomile tea, as well as using tea tree oil on active spots. This has helped even more combined with diet changes.

I would not recommend accutane. I took it and regret ever taking it. I have permanent joint pain, and my acne came back within 6 months.

Have you thought about diet changes? Your acne looks very similar to the acne I have had in the past. My breakouts on my cheeks looked identical to your pictures. I made diet changes and almost entirely cleared my skin. I have been vegetarian for over a year now, but about 3 months ago I cut dairy, eggs, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods and peanuts from my diet. This has made a huge difference in my skin, it's improved significantly. As well I recently removed chemicals from my skincare routine. I wash with manuka honey and tone with chamomile tea, as well as using tea tree oil on active spots. This has helped even more combined with diet changes.

I would not recommend accutane. I took it and regret ever taking it. I have permanent joint pain, and my acne came back within 6 months.

I've considered cleaning up my diet, but wanted to see how my face would react to tetra alone. Now that the acne is back I'm definitely going to take this into consideration. About how long after changing your diet did you notice a difference? My diet isn't horrible, but I do have a weakness for sweets. Chocolate especially. -__- Strange thing is I've always eaten this way and never had a problem with breakouts. Would you be able to give any suggestions as to what to eat? Any substitutes for dairy and sweets, etc.

Thanks so much!

I noticed a difference within the first week or so, but within a month my skin was doing MUCH better. Now I'm about 3 months into my acne diet and my skin looks worlds different. I actually ate so badly when I was in highschool (chips, fast food, pop, drinking alcohol, etc), and my acne didn't get pretty bad until the past two years or so (I'm 20 years old now). I have a weakness for sweets as well but have been doing pretty good!

I avoid dairy altogether, and I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead. I started using soy milk, but I think soy is bad as well due to the hormones and such that it can contain. For sweets I would recommend dark chocolate. It takes a while to get used to the taste, but I cut chocolate and all sweets entirely for over a month and then introduced dark chocolate and love the taste now. Make sure you buy an organic fair trade brand though, as they use organic cane sugar as a sweetener, which is much better than highly refined sugars. Also my local health food store carries these snacks called "Yoga Chips" which are apples soaked in various fruit juices/spices and they're delicious! When I want a sweet fix I drink decaf orange pekoe black tea with almond milk and organic honey. The only sweeteners I will use are honey, organic agave, stevia, organic cane sugar. Actually within the past week I've discovered that oranges cause me to break out... Sadly. My friend gave me a bunch of mandarin oranges and I've been loving them, except for the fast that I started breaking out. Since this is the only food I've been eating that's new/different I can deduce that they're the culprit. I usually avoid citrus fruits since most people cite them as causing acne.

It's hard to get used to a diet like this, but it helps so much! Making a slow transition is easiest. Go to your local health food store and take a look around for things you can add into your diet like herbal teas, easy substitutes and start adding these things. Everytime I get discouraged and think I can't eat anything I go to the health food store and find something yummy that fits into my diet.

If you want to take a look to see what diet's done for my skin I have a log with pictures.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/304682-vegan-no-refined-foods-acne-diary/

If you do decide to start an acne diet, don't get discouraged when you breakout. What I found is that each breakout became less severe and less frequent each time. Right now I have almost no active spots, and my red marks and scarring is fading.

I noticed a difference within the first week or so, but within a month my skin was doing MUCH better. Now I'm about 3 months into my acne diet and my skin looks worlds different. I actually ate so badly when I was in highschool (chips, fast food, pop, drinking alcohol, etc), and my acne didn't get pretty bad until the past two years or so (I'm 20 years old now). I have a weakness for sweets as well but have been doing pretty good!

I avoid dairy altogether, and I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead. I started using soy milk, but I think soy is bad as well due to the hormones and such that it can contain. For sweets I would recommend dark chocolate. It takes a while to get used to the taste, but I cut chocolate and all sweets entirely for over a month and then introduced dark chocolate and love the taste now. Make sure you buy an organic fair trade brand though, as they use organic cane sugar as a sweetener, which is much better than highly refined sugars. Also my local health food store carries these snacks called "Yoga Chips" which are apples soaked in various fruit juices/spices and they're delicious! When I want a sweet fix I drink decaf orange pekoe black tea with almond milk and organic honey. The only sweeteners I will use are honey, organic agave, stevia, organic cane sugar. Actually within the past week I've discovered that oranges cause me to break out... Sadly. My friend gave me a bunch of mandarin oranges and I've been loving them, except for the fast that I started breaking out. Since this is the only food I've been eating that's new/different I can deduce that they're the culprit. I usually avoid citrus fruits since most people cite them as causing acne.

It's hard to get used to a diet like this, but it helps so much! Making a slow transition is easiest. Go to your local health food store and take a look around for things you can add into your diet like herbal teas, easy substitutes and start adding these things. Everytime I get discouraged and think I can't eat anything I go to the health food store and find something yummy that fits into my diet.

If you want to take a look to see what diet's done for my skin I have a log with pictures.

http://www.acne.org/...ods-acne-diary/

If you do decide to start an acne diet, don't get discouraged when you breakout. What I found is that each breakout became less severe and less frequent each time. Right now I have almost no active spots, and my red marks and scarring is fading.

Thanks for your help! I just came back from the Dr. again and was prescribed Minocycline this time around, along with a refill of the Dalacin-T. I will try the 3 month course of this medication and try to clean up my diet in the process. Tried to go to the nearest health food store today, but unfortunately they close early so I will try again tommorow!

Along with the diet, I was wondering if you were also drinking alot of water? I'm going to try and incorporate this as well as it shouldn't hurt. Going to start off switching my daily coffee/tea for green tea instead. Which won't be too hard as I use to drink green tea on a regular basis. ^^ Thanks for the all the help. Your log has helped me as well on how to go about this diet. Won't be easy though as i've never been the type to diet, even when working out I still ate whatever, haha. -__-

I'm glad I could help you out some! I do drink a lot of water. I try to drink at least 2 litres of water daily, as well as lots of herbal teas. I try to drink a lot of green tea and white tea (even better for you than green tea). I also drink a lot of chamomile (2+ cups daily), 2 cups of my "Cleanse" skin tea (nettle, fennel, licorice root, dandelion root, peppermint), as well as various oolong and roobios teas.

Hopefully cleaning up your diet as well as your new medication clears up your skin!