Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princessdaphne

Food Allergies And Acne?

I've recently read quite a bit about people on acne.org finding out their acne was caused by a food allergy. I looked this up and it seems that dairy allergies are especially common. I really think this could be related for me, especially because both of my parents have dairy allergies; not severe, but still. So now I just have some questions about the actual testing for food allergies:

-I'm 13; they can still test people my age for food allergies, right?

-How exactly do they test you?

-Does it cost money, and if so, about how much?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

I've recently read quite a bit about people on acne.org finding out their acne was caused by a food allergy. I looked this up and it seems that dairy allergies are especially common. I really think this could be related for me, especially because both of my parents have dairy allergies; not severe, but still. So now I just have some questions about the actual testing for food allergies:

-I'm 13; they can still test people my age for food allergies, right?

-How exactly do they test you?

-Does it cost money, and if so, about how much?

Thanks in advance for any help! smile.png

Yes, allergies have been known to be linked with acne. HOWEVER, there are many many symptoms other than just acne from allergies. To think one would just experience acne and no other symptoms is foolish. I personally am allergic to gluten, and my symptoms are sinus related (not severe).

Edited by steven m jacobson

^Not necessarily. My cystic acne turned out to be caused by citrus, which I figured out by luck because there were no other symptoms. I had no idea I was allergic to anything. Visit this thread for more information on food intolerances, the various antibodies involved and testing: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/200416-what-i-found-about-ige-vs-igg-food-allergies/

Hint, your average doctor is most likely not going to listen to you and want to test you and it's usually easier to just figure it out for yourself with an elimination diet. Also, food intolerances are not the only way diet affects acne. There are many ways: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-acne-cliff-notes-to-clear-skin-health/