Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HiImMatt

Getting A Haircut With Acne

Well, i haven't had a haircut since i was 14, 18 now. I really would like it to be cut like a pro instead of by me xD. I mean i don't make it look horrible, but dang im definitely no pro hair stylist O_O. Anyway, i just can't. Just the thought of sitting there with a pretty girl stylist (thats mostly the only stylist's in my town) looking at my face while cutting my hair. Also i get cyst on the back neck all the time, i dont remember a time were the back of my neck was clear of cyst's :/. I just can't have clippers going back there, and then me on the floor screaming in pain xD. Anyways, how do you feel how getting a haircut with acne?

I never used to go when I was broken out because I didn't like the thought of someone being that close to my face and I'd just end up feeling like I was inflicting this horrible sight upon the stylist. That's just mostly my problem and I should have gone about my business regardless.

For you, it sounds like the main concern should be physical comfort in terms of the stylist being aware of your neck for example and knowing that they would need to take care. In theory, they would accommodate that, be understanding and work around it so that it isn't an issue and you get a good cut, but in truth, I'm unfortunately struggling to think of any ideas in terms of how you can safeguard against any awkward situations. I can't really think of any way other than to go along to a place and see one of the stylists. I'd suggest perhaps avoiding younger stylists as maybe someone older would be more understanding and more grown up about it I suppose.

However you go about it, it would be a great thing for you to do in terms of the confidence a good haircut can give you. :)

Hey HilmMatt been a while since I saw you post here! So you've been cutting your own hair for 4 years? That seems like a lot of experience to me...why not study up on hair cutting/styling techniques so you can do it like a pro? I mean 4 years experience seems like a good foundation to me, why not build off of it? Or you can scout around and try to find a really nice old lady stylist :).

Hahaha, I'm kind of having a similar problem. xD;

I really want to get my hair cut all proper and short, but I'm worried that will just give people a better view of the disaster area that is my face. Not to mention the awkwardness of sitting there in front of a mirror, having to stare at yourself while they cut your hair.

Really though, this shouldn't stop us from a fancy hair cut. Just gotta suck it up and go for it, lol. >:Y

In the case of them accidentally clipping into cysts... well, I would just tell them to be careful. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time they'd seen that sort of thing anyway, right? D:

I feel fine with it, I have known the guy for a good couple of years now and we get on well so I suppose thats why, if I didn't know them, it would be strange.

He is pretty careful and does a great job so I'm happy with that, and with cysts on your neck, I can remember back I think he accidentally clipped them once or twice and didn't make a big deal out of it and carried on. I think you should just ask if they could be careful around your neck, I know it sounds awful to ask like that but hey, people get acne - we can't help it. They should all be cool with it, besides, they want the money anyway right?

Kind of separate point here, but do any of you people feel unusually ugly when you are sitting there while its being cut looking in the mirror? It always happens to me every time I go, I just sit there like 'mother of god...' when normally I'm fine rolleyes.gif

Edited by MJRI94

I feel ya! But forget about it, hah. Hair stylists see and touch gross dandruff, and skin, and personalities all day long. They're probably use to seeing gnarly blackheads on the temples of their clients and wanting to just pop it or puke... hehe. Really though, I wouldn't be embarrassed even if she does be a pretty lady! She's there for your tips, sir. cool.png

Yeah I wanted to the absolute brink before I went to go get my haircut recently because I didn't want the barber to stare at my face that close. I also get paranoid that they are not going to be sensitive to my skin and aggravate my acne further. I have a lot of anxiety around it. Man I hate acne!