Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi!

So I went to my Derm ,Last year November 15, and i told her that i am getting sick of having to deal with new zits,oily face and hyper pigmentation everyday.eusa_wall.gif I am a Nurse and its kinda Sh*tty when you have a face that has 5-10 active spots everyday and yet you have to face the patients with full of confidence,happy and willing to help them when inside you feel like crap.

I had tried all the creams,facial washes,antibiotics and stuff. So i asked my Derm if i could take accutane,at first she was like Accutane can cause lots of side effects that we don't want and you have to undergo some lab work every month. I immediately answered i am willing to experience all of that just to get rid of this acne which is ruining my self esteem/life. Then I had my lab work done, it says that my ldl,hdl,lipid profile's results were normal, same goes for my liver function test. So she finally agreed to give me accutane, 20 mg/day.

Its actually my 7th week and so far during the past few weeks i experienced ups & down during my treatment. Right now i have 7 active spots.moderate to severe acne scarring, and tons of post inflammatory hyper pigmentation. I hope that this initial breakout will be over very soon.

How long on the average does initial breakout last? I am on 20 mg/day which according to some poster is a low dose, and my derm is planning to put me on accutane for 3-4 mos. depending on the improvement of my face, Can i use AHA./Glycolic containing products?

Happy Holidays!

I know how you feel! I finished Accutane on September 25th, 2011. I was on it for 6months 40mg all the way through. My skin was HORRID. I've kept my blog updated with pictures etc to prove it! I hope they inspire you to stay positive. Right now i have some breakouts because it's that time of the month, but that's normal for a woman. I would avoid AHA and glycolic products because it may burn your skin. Accutane causes redness anyways and i couldn't imagine how red it would be after using such an acidic product. This pill is a miracle worker but it requires patience. This site and the people i've met got me through the rough times. These months will fly by, trust me! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck! :]

Thank you for the response Pocket, I am trying ti be positive despite all of these breakouts. I am definitely willing to sacrifice a few more months of zit filled face for a clear,even toned skin afterwards. I am searching for a gentle cleanser that i can use after my shift at work, I don;t think cetaphil removes dirts/oil from my face.

Thank you for the response Pocket, I am trying ti be positive despite all of these breakouts. I am definitely willing to sacrifice a few more months of zit filled face for a clear,even toned skin afterwards. I am searching for a gentle cleanser that i can use after my shift at work, I don;t think cetaphil removes dirts/oil from my face.

The picture attached was taken October last year. This was before the huge breakout.

Edited by bryles

No problem! I used this cleanser while on my course in particular (http://mariobadescu.com/cleansing-milk-with-carnation-and-rice-oil) because accutane made my skin SO dry. This saved it entirely. Don't let the "oil" scare you. Trust me, i had bad oily skin and would run away at the sight of the word "oil" on a product. This is GOOD oil. I wet my face with warm water, massaged the cleanser onto my skin with a face cleansing brush like this (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Facial-Cleansing-Brush/SBS-491502,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) and then GENTLY wiped it away with a warm washcloth. Then i would follow up with the Mario Badescu Hydro Emollient Cream. Now that i'm done with my course, i'm using the Mario Badescu Control Cream (pricey but i also have eczema and it kills any redness or irritation so it's worth it to me). You're going to do great :]!

hey there

just thought id swing by and offer some encouragement. im also on 20mg a day and am into my 6th week so just a little behind you. actually the last few days ive only taken 10mg as my face was super red and irritated, which i know can be a side effect, but it was burning hot. anyway, we are still early in our course so try and stay positive. this is my second course, my first one was nearly 5 years ago and my skin then was moderate, much worse than it is now. i did 30mg for 8 months and aside from the odd breakout here and there when ive been really stressed my skin has been pretty good. it will work! its just getting there. depending on how your course goes you might want to ask for a longer course if you're hoping for long term remission. our dose is pretty low and it would take an age to reach the recommended cumulative dose at 20mg a day. i know people who've taken 10mg or 20mg a day for a year or more. anyway best of luck with the rest of your course. post back and update us!

This is the current state of my face, I hope this breakouts will stop very soon. Right now i have 10 active zits , and it kinda hurts whenever i put my mask on.And what i notice is whenever i put my surgical mask on,I start to get acne on my jaw line,chin and lower cheek. I felt really bad this past holidays because i skipped a lot of family/friends/school mates reunion, instead of going,i stayed all day in my room feeling sorry about myself. LOL.

No problem! I used this cleanser while on my course in particular (http://mariobadescu....on-and-rice-oil) because accutane made my skin SO dry. This saved it entirely. Don't let the "oil" scare you. Trust me, i had bad oily skin and would run away at the sight of the word "oil" on a product. This is GOOD oil. I wet my face with warm water, massaged the cleanser onto my skin with a face cleansing brush like this (http://www.sallybeau...ml?cm_vc=SEARCH) and then GENTLY wiped it away with a warm washcloth. Then i would follow up with the Mario Badescu Hydro Emollient Cream. Now that i'm done with my course, i'm using the Mario Badescu Control Cream (pricey but i also have eczema and it kills any redness or irritation so it's worth it to me). You're going to do great :]!

Edited by bryles

hey there

just thought id swing by and offer some encouragement. im also on 20mg a day and am into my 6th week so just a little behind you. actually the last few days ive only taken 10mg as my face was super red and irritated, which i know can be a side effect, but it was burning hot. anyway, we are still early in our course so try and stay positive. this is my second course, my first one was nearly 5 years ago and my skin then was moderate, much worse than it is now. i did 30mg for 8 months and aside from the odd breakout here and there when ive been really stressed my skin has been pretty good. it will work! its just getting there. depending on how your course goes you might want to ask for a longer course if you're hoping for long term remission. our dose is pretty low and it would take an age to reach the recommended cumulative dose at 20mg a day. i know people who've taken 10mg or 20mg a day for a year or more. anyway best of luck with the rest of your course. post back and update us!

Thank you luc_nic! I hope that I will have the courage and patience to endure all of this breakouts,LOL, but sometimes it comes to a point where i get stressed out/depressed because of my work,my friends. Before I actually love holidays/ reunions and stuff but ever since my acne started becoming worse I hated holidays/gathering because most of the time my relatives will focus on my acne, they would be like "what the hell happened to your face? "You should wash our face before going to bed:", "I know this dermatologist"," you should try this ","wow you got a lot of zits", and a lot more.. i really wanted to tell them, "Yeah its acne, I Love having acne and I dont wash my face at night to get more of this,,yeaahh." I hope this accutane works even if we're on the low dose.

This is the current state of my face, I hope this breakouts will stop very soon. Right now i have 10 active zits , and it kinda hurts whenever i put my mask on.And what i notice is whenever i put my surgical mask on,I start to get acne on my jaw line,chin and lower cheek. I felt really bad this past holidays because i skipped a lot of family/friends/school mates reunion, instead of going,i stayed all day in my room feeling sorry about myself. LOL.

No problem! I used this cleanser while on my course in particular (http://mariobadescu....on-and-rice-oil) because accutane made my skin SO dry. This saved it entirely. Don't let the "oil" scare you. Trust me, i had bad oily skin and would run away at the sight of the word "oil" on a product. This is GOOD oil. I wet my face with warm water, massaged the cleanser onto my skin with a face cleansing brush like this (http://www.sallybeau...ml?cm_vc=SEARCH) and then GENTLY wiped it away with a warm washcloth. Then i would follow up with the Mario Badescu Hydro Emollient Cream. Now that i'm done with my course, i'm using the Mario Badescu Control Cream (pricey but i also have eczema and it kills any redness or irritation so it's worth it to me). You're going to do great :]!

haha..me too, i avoid products that contain oil in it. I always go for products which are non comedogenic,or products for acne/oily prone skin. Since accutane tends to dry my skin, and my lips a lot, im gonna try the mariobadescu cleanser, I hope its available here in the Philippines. smile.png

You have to try Dr. Dans Cortibalm for your lips! http://www.amazon.com/Dans-CortiBalm-Balm-Chapped-Lips/dp/B0013JE6K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325661398&sr=8-1

They do ship internationally, but i imagine it would be expensive. I did go on the website to see if they have any of the stores in the Philippines and they do! I hope one of them is nearby so you can check it out. http://mariobadescu.com/Mario-Badescu-Retail-Locations Good luck!