Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been on accutane for 13 days now and I feel like I've already seen a difference, which is amazing. I hope I don't get the big bad initial breakout some people talk about. But I've already been experiencing pretty bad dry scalp and dandruff, I've been using the Garnier Fructis anti- dandruff shampoo which doesn't seem to be working at all. Whats the best anti-dandruff shampoo people have been using?

It depends.

How often do you wash your hair? Do you need to wash it as little or as much as you do? What other products are put into your hair? Do you put heat to your hair (flat iron, blow drier, hot curling iron etc)? What treatment are you using, if any at all (hot oil treatment, masque etc)? What kind of brush or comb do you use? Do you live in a relatively harsh climate? Whats your ethnicity, (that usually plays a big part)?

I ask all this because Accutane does dry the skin, dry skin flakes off and starts to build up, clogging the hair follicle, if your taking care of your hair the same way you normally would and didn't brace for the medication, then yes you WILL get a dry itchy scalp.

Since you say it's pretty bad, give yourself a lovely hot oil treatment to remove all the skin cells buildup. Soap is actually not the greatest thing for your hair because it removes the protective oils your body produces that gives it a natural shine. Just water and the hot oil treatment, no soap/shampoo. Your ends usually split the further away from the scalp they get and the part closer to the scalp is super soft!rolleyes.gif Brush your hair EVERYDAY!!!!! This is really important because it smooshes the awesome oils around so the ends of your hair are still protected! You look like you have long hair in your picture, I suggest keeping it in a beanie (can get away with it, cause its winter :P) or braiding/ponytail... anything really, just out of your face, the oil from your face is really what makes hair greasy; and when you touch it a lot! Wash your hair about once a week if you can deal with it, every 3 days at the most if you just have to have your hair washed constantly. Use a mild shampoo. The stuff today has so much crap in it. If you look at the back of the garnier fructis bottle and can barely pronounce the ingredients, much less know what they are, it shouldn't be in your hair.

Try out some baby shampoo or homemade shampoo, anything mild. I personally make my own soaps, lotions and shampoos, all with natural ingredients, no additives; it's cheap and easy to make, just takes practice to get each batch right to perfection rolleyes.gif