Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
siannaay

Teenage Girls Can Probably Relate To This....

It's quite impossible for majority of us to feel comfortable in our own skin as, well, our skin is pretty uncomfortable itself. I'm a 14 year old girl living in Hong Kong. The air here is rubbish which is a major contribution to my crappy skin, but it's not something I can change unless I move away from Hong Kong. As I am barely a teenager that would be impossible to just pack up my things and leave to a fresh air-ed country.

Anyway, I started getting acne when I was 11, and there was only one other girl in my year that had acne. She was constantly picked on and made fun of. I think that really scared me, as no one likes being bullied, so I started using my mum's makeup to cover my pimples up. It started off as just a couple spots here and there, then it started to spread all over my forehead. Bumps, everywhere. I cried and cried...basically it had affected me deep within. Till this day, I still feel crap when I wake up and look in the mirror. My skin is red, uneven, and gross. I do my makeup in the dark because I don't like the sunlight or any light source highlighting areas on my face. My friends and family think I'm whack because of that, as they don't understand that I'm just extremely scared of what my skin is truly like.

Everyday I pack on mineral makeup and expect myself to feel somewhat confident in my "new skin". This never seems to be the case. My friends always tell me my skin is improving, but that judgement is coming from what they see when I have makeup on. My boyfriend hasn't even seen my skin without makeup.. I'm nervous as hell that he'll think I'm not beautiful, and that I'm fake with makeup on. I feel like crying whenever I see my skin.. It's a crap feeling to have all the time.

Girls, I just want to let you know that you're not alone, and a lot of the time it may feel like it. Especially when you see other girls the same age without a single spot on their faces. It kills me inside, and the question "Why me?" comes up. But understand that it's not your fault that your skin is the way it is. It's normal, and the definition of normality is questioned nowadays. Everything and everyone is changing. Don't forget that.

you say the bad air is a major contribution to your crappy skin but there's only one other girl in your year that had acne. is it really the air?

Yes, because when I go to other countries on holiday my skin clears up like mad.

I feel the exact same way. I won't go out in public without makeup, won't let my boyfriend see me without it. And it sucks to see other girls with such pretty, effortless skin.

You're only 14 and you seem like you already have a good head on your shoulders. I applaude you girl. big hugs.

I admit at that age I was frantically trying everything I could afford and even drank cleanser to end it all but I am still here.

Keep strong my darling. mwhuaz

btw till this day still hate doing makeup in light too. Those makeup mirrors that magnify are the worst :lol:

Edited by beautifuldoll

wow, you already found a cure... work on it is all... if it affects you so badly? why aren't you doing something it yet?

It's a lot more complicated than that! But it's not just the air that is affecting it..of course are there other contributing factors such as bad circulation and diet, etc etc.. I want to find a cure that is easier, that's all.

You're only 14 and you seem like you already have a good head on your shoulders. I applaude you girl. big hugs.

I admit at that age I was frantically trying everything I could afford and even drank cleanser to end it all but I am still here.

Keep strong my darling. mwhuaz

btw till this day still hate doing makeup in light too. Those makeup mirrors that magnify are the worst lol.gif

Aww thank you, that made me smile. I felt awful this morning, but after talking to my boyfriend I found myself again and decided to ignore my skin for a while and just be happy. And yes, those mirrors are just disgusting haha, I don't understand how anyone can use them on a daily basis!

I can certainly relate to those feelings of being the only one and of being alone. You're right though, siannaay, we're not alone in our battles with acne. Neither are you, don't forget that.

It sounds to me like you have enough about you to find your way through this and solve your problem skin. Add to that, you're obviously able to maintain friendships with people who support you which is awesome, and I'm sure your boyfriend loves you for who you are and would love you regardless of what your skin is like at any given point.

I reckon the best thing to do is face your skin, so to speak, and accept what it is currently like. That's the only way to remove those anxieties regarding looking at your skin and the way you view yourself. Once you let go of those anxieties, you're free to focus on clearing your skin. Considering your age, you may even find that your skin starts to fix itself at some point. I would imagine that your body is still going through plenty of changes at 14, with more to come, and these things just take time and patience of course. We're all different in that respect, regardless of gender, because every single body is unique. Keep your chin up, you'll get there. smile.png

Those makeup mirrors that magnify are the worst lol.gif

Edited by PaulH85