Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chocobot

Anyone Breakout After Major Digestion Problems?

I went gluten-free recently and cleared up like never before in two weeks. Had to eat some food with gluten during the holidays since I was over at my family, but things were fine. But when I came back home, I got a major stomach ache and diarrhea, gas, bloated stomach etc. By the next evening I felt the breakout coming as I was in bed, I could tell I was going to wake up with a lot of pimples around my mouth and chin. This hasn't happened in a LONG time. But I know that breakouts always occured when I had loose stool/diarrhea etc. Always the same pattern. It just hadn't happened in months. Sucks cause I was really clear. Now my face looks worst than it has in months:(

Tried to think of what I ate that could have caused this, if anything. Only thing I can think of that wasn't usual was an avocado with mozzarella cheese. After eating it, maybe 30 mins later, I had major stomach cramps. But 30 min after eating it seems a bit too quick for that to be the cause.

Whatever the case I'm removing dairy from my diet again. But it's weird cause monday I had spaghetti with melted cheese, which I both usually avoid due to gluten sensitivity and because I think dairy my cause breakouts, yet I was fine.

It sucks so much that my clear face broke out like crazy again so soon before returning to work next week:(

I hope this gluten-free diet wasn't a fluke. But it seems unlikely, I cleared up really fast on it, my digestion was much better than before, etc.

UPDATE

Update: It really appears that lack of sleep is what made me intolerant to begin with, or worsened my food intolerances.

I've had oatmeal all week and some yogurt (same stuff I had when I broke out) and I've been fine. My skin has cleared very quickly once I started getting normal amounts of sleep again.

So for anyone out there, I think good sleep will reduce the impact of your food intolerances.

For me, good sleep and limited dairy and gluten-free diet seems to be the way to go to get clear. All my back acne is gone (only dark spots are left), my face is back to as clear as it was before the holidays.

Edited by Chocobot

I went gluten-free recently and cleared up like never before in two weeks. Had to eat some food with gluten during the holidays since I was over at my family, but things were fine. But when I came back home, I got a major stomach ache and diarrhea, gas, bloated stomach etc. By the next evening I felt the breakout coming as I was in bed, I could tell I was going to wake up with a lot of pimples around my mouth and chin. This hasn't happened in a LONG time. But I know that breakouts always occured when I had loose stool/diarrhea etc. Always the same pattern. It just hadn't happened in months. Sucks cause I was really clear. Now my face looks worst than it has in months:(

Tried to think of what I ate that could have caused this, if anything. Only thing I can think of that wasn't usual was an avocado with mozzarella cheese. After eating it, maybe 30 mins later, I had major stomach cramps. But 30 min after eating it seems a bit too quick for that to be the cause.

Whatever the case I'm removing dairy from my diet again. But it's weird cause monday I had spaghetti with melted cheese, which I both usually avoid due to gluten sensitivity and because I think dairy my cause breakouts, yet I was fine.

It sucks so much that my clear face broke out like crazy again so soon before returning to work next week:(

I hope this gluten-free diet wasn't a fluke. But it seems unlikely, I cleared up really fast on it, my digestion was much better than before, etc.

You ate Gluten. The longer you go without it the more sensitive you become to it when you eat it again.

I doubt it, I was fine at my family's place. This only happened once I came back and very suddenly. I'm guessing maybe the cheese was iffy, but is stomach cramps 30 min after consumption possible?

Edited by Chocobot

I doubt it, I was fine at my family's place. This only happened once I came back and very suddenly. I'm guessing maybe the cheese was iffy, but is stomach cramps 30 min after consumption possible?

You have a sensitivity to Gluten. You (like many others) have a delayed response to it. I get those symptoms after accidently eating small amounts of it. Cross contamination causes it also. It's also hard to pinpoint what is was (since a day could go by), so I just start over and do some research on what I ate. Another thing, even if the label says GF they could still contain small amounts. According to the FDA, they only have to comply to what people with Celiac Disease can tolerate (220 mmp), not Gluten Sensitive people. Big difference. This year that amount is supposed to be lowered to 20mmp and better labeling.

I hope I'll be able to avoid whatever caused this. It sucks to clear up and be all happy about it and think you figured it out, and then BAM, stomach cramps and huge breakout:(

I'm keeping note of what I'm eating. I'll avoid dairy completely now.

Do you know if oatmeal is bad? I was eating it when I started my gluten-free diet, but I was never sure if it was a good idea. I'm trying to gain weight so it's difficult with so many things to keep away. Oatmeal helps reach my daily caloric intake goal.

I hope I'll be able to avoid whatever caused this. It sucks to clear up and be all happy about it and think you figured it out, and then BAM, stomach cramps and huge breakout:(

I'm keeping note of what I'm eating. I'll avoid dairy completely now.

Do you know if oatmeal is bad? I was eating it when I started my gluten-free diet, but I was never sure if it was a good idea. I'm trying to gain weight so it's difficult with so many things to keep away. Oatmeal helps reach my daily caloric intake goal.

Unless your allergic to dairy don't avoid it. You will need all the available foods possible. Some people are said to gain weight on Gluten free. Not me, I lost 20 lbs but seemed to stablize. I'm not a Oatmeat eater so I don't know for sure but there's a very good chance Wheat is in it from what I have read. I would also avoid all soda and anything made by Cambell. I get heartburn from all soda (barley & carmel coloring) and acne from GF juice from Cambell's. I'm also not good with Hormel's GF. Also watch fruit & veggey's that are "shinny". Walmart's coating contains Wheat in the wax. Found that out the hard way.

I'm not going to consume dairy, it's clear it triggers acne for me. Always has, and every time I think "oh I'll try again maybe it's fine now" I breakout anyway. If I drink milk I have digestion problems soon after.

One thing I'd like to know is if eating gluten, let's say tuesday, caused this, why am I still getting cramps four days later? Not as bad as then, but still. What is still actually happening in my body after four days? The info I read doesn't explain any of this, it just says "intolerant to gluten can lead to cramps, gas, bloated stomach", etc. It doesn't say WHAT is happening.

Edited by Chocobot

Oatmeal is NOT gluten free. I repeat, Oatmeal is NOT gluten free.

Many people seem to struggle with this, or not know it. But it's true. Almost all oatmeal is made with wheat and is contaminated with gluten. And yes, it's enough to do damage.

You are very clearly sensitive to gluten. It doesn't matter if you didn't react right away. Or if sometimes you don't notice the reaction or aren't able to pin it to the gluten. I went through the same struggle early on. Your system is so damaged that you don't always see the reactions because you're damaged all the time. But I'd be almost willing to promise you that if everything you wrote here is true you are sensitive to gluten.

One thing I'd like to know is if eating gluten, let's say tuesday, caused this, why am I still getting cramps four days later?

Well it doesn't make much sense to me. I used to eat wheat every day, and while my acne was bad yes, it fluctuated a lot. Yet when I changed to a gluten-free diet, I cleared VERY quickly, two weeks later I was completely clear. So it certainly doesn't take a full month for me. And why is it that NOW I have the worst breakout in probably over a year, when I barely had gluten compared to how much I used to consume it? When I went gluten-free, I didn't end up with a breakout that got worst over four days, even though I had consumed gluten the day before I went gluten-free. But this time this is what is happening.

I'm starting to think this has had more to do with a bad sleep schedule over the holidays. All major breakouts I've had in the past followed periods of lack of sleep or going to bed very late and waking up very late.

So lack of sleep seems to make me hyper-sensitive to some foods.

I really must stop going to bed late!

There is a thread, somewhere on the first one or two pages... in it there's a discussion about how we become extremely sensitive to food intolerances after we have given up the food for a little while. I had the exact same experience as you. It's because the body starts to heal. I'll see if I can find the thread for ya.

Here you go, hope this helps...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/308781-becoming-more-sensitive-to-trigger-foods/

Again today! What I ate was not different from the days before, yet here I am again tonight with diarrhea once more! I could tell something was wrong earlier today, and it just got worst since then.

I don't understand. Almost a week later (monday today, last time was on tuesday).

Strangely, the weeks before I was doing great, even with oatmeal in the morning...

This is getting complicated. I don't know what to do anymore:( Why can't my stupid body act normally. Do I have to eat crap food like most people to be ok??

edit: I even read up on food that helps to fight diarrhea. Baked potatoes, bananas, pomegrenate juice. Well guess what, I had all of that today! Even oatmeal is good to fight diarrhea, lol.......

edit2: Hmmm reading some more, it could have been the scallops. It seems this has been reported before. I didn't have it last week though on that day.

Edited by Chocobot

I think you are still inflamed from the other food you ate over the holiday and that is why you're reacting badly to everything now. Like I said, it takes me a full month to heal from gluten and during that month I have all sorts of other reactions and symptoms to everything I eat.

Again today! What I ate was not different from the days before, yet here I am again tonight with diarrhea once more! I could tell something was wrong earlier today, and it just got worst since then.

I don't understand. Almost a week later (monday today, last time was on tuesday).

Strangely, the weeks before I was doing great, even with oatmeal in the morning...

This is getting complicated. I don't know what to do anymore:( Why can't my stupid body act normally. Do I have to eat crap food like most people to be ok??

edit: I even read up on food that helps to fight diarrhea. Baked potatoes, bananas, pomegrenate juice. Well guess what, I had all of that today! Even oatmeal is good to fight diarrhea, lol.......

edit2: Hmmm reading some more, it could have been the scallops. It seems this has been reported before. I didn't have it last week though on that day.

lack of fiber

I think it is sleep problems that are causing this. My sleep schedule is messed up. Every time I have major breakouts it follows periods where my sleeping schedule is screwed, and this always leads to digestion problems, cramps, diarrhea. This holiday just confirmed to me that this is likely my main problem. This has happened so many times in the same circumstances.

I'm not intolerant to those foods, I cleared up before at a time when I could even drink beer and not breakout. But when I cleared, it was always when my sleep schedule was great. And when I break out big time and get diarrhea and the like, it is always after periods where my sleep schedule gets messed up.

So this seems to indicate that I'm not senstitive to particular foods, since I could eat anything when I cleared up in the past, but rather that not having a good sleep schedule MAKES ME intolerent for some time, leading to diarrhea, and breakouts.

So if I fix my sleeping schedule (wake up early in the morning, go to bed at like 10:30), then it should fix everything as it did in the past.

Edited by Chocobot

I think it is sleep problems that are causing this. My sleep schedule is messed up. Every time I have major breakouts it follows periods where my sleeping schedule is screwed, and this always leads to digestion problems, cramps, diarrhea. This holiday just confirmed to me that this is likely my main problem. This has happened so many times in the same circumstances.

I'm not intolerant to those foods, I cleared up before at a time when I could even drink beer and not breakout. But when I cleared, it was always when my sleep schedule was great. And when I break out big time and get diarrhea and the like, it is always after periods where my sleep schedule gets messed up.

So this seems to indicate that I'm not senstitive to particular foods, since I could eat anything when I cleared up in the past, but rather that not having a good sleep schedule MAKES ME intolerent for some time, leading to diarrhea, and breakouts.

So if I fix my sleeping schedule (wake up early in the morning, go to bed at like 10:30), then it should fix everything as it did in the past.

good observation, try it out

Are you eating any meat, chocobot? Meat and veggies makes me more regular, I think. Also aloe vera/okra/chia seeds will help soothe your gut if it feels inflamed at all.

Update: It really appears that lack of sleep is what made me intolerant to begin with, or worsened my food intolerances.

I've had oatmeal all week and some yogurt (same stuff I had when I broke out) and I've been fine. My skin has cleared very quickly once I started getting normal amounts of sleep again.

So for anyone out there, I think good sleep will reduce the impact of your food intolerances.

For me, good sleep and limited dairy and gluten-free diet seems to be the way to go to get clear. All my back acne is gone (only dark spots are left), my face is back to as clear as it was before the holidays.