Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rosacgirl

Do I Really Need To Moisturize?

So, I just started a new regimen of Klaron/Retin-A micro. I really hate moisturizing after applying the Klaron, because the Klaron is like a sticky film on my face. I usually use CeraVe moisturizer and it's great. But, do I really NEED it? It feels gross with the Klaron.

Yes moisturizing is an integral part of any acne regimen. It's important because if you skin is really dry and flaky, small pecks of flack and dust can easily get inside your pores causing your acne not to heal as fast or break out more. Although, I'm pretty guilty of not moisturizing as much as I should because I'm always in a rush in the mornings haha.

Oh wow, YES! please moisturize, especially if you're using Retin-A Micro!

I used to be on Retin-A Micro too - that stuff dries out your skin severely when you're using it as part of your regimen. And I've also been through a fair share of treatments that feel sticky and yucky, especially after putting on moisturizer.

As gross as it feels though, my dermatologist has always told me to put moisturizer after treatments because it helps protect the skin against dryness. Even now, I'm using treatments that make my skin feel disgusting, but for me it's worth it if I want clear skin, which is pretty close to what I have now.

Though you're probably aware, there's really not a good reason not to moisturize (besides the obvious time, money, etc.). Other than helping to prevent the build-up of dead skin cells (by allowing cells to naturally slough without clumping), there's also the much-debated benefit in aging (and really, it's not going to hurt you).

You'll want to be a little more strict [with moisturizing] as you begin your treatment on Retin-A (to minimize the side effects as your skin develops tolerance to the drug), but in the long run tretinoin (the active ingredient in Retin-A) will do nothing but good things to your skin - relieving the necessity of a moisturizer.

You can always look for a different moisturizer if it's uncomfortable to use CeraVe in conjunction with Klaron; feel is definitely a big part of what makes a good moisturizer.

Edited by nomit

My derm told me very clearly NOT to moisturise. She said if im dry to drink more water but to stay away from off the shelf moisturisers. She said if I am REALLY struggling, to oil cleanse. I use sesame oil....

My derm told me very clearly NOT to moisturise. She said if im dry to drink more water but to stay away from off the shelf moisturisers. She said if I am REALLY struggling, to oil cleanse. I use sesame oil....

Did she give a reason why not?

If you're on Retin-A, moisturizing does become a chore as you need to wait 15 minutes between applying tretinoin & a moisturizer - but that's hardly a reason not to (unless you don't mind or don't experience the typical irritation/dryness).

She just said because of the chemicals that are in most of them and because it doesnt help the skin. Real moisture comes from deep within, not a topical... hence the water rather than a cream...

She just said because of the chemicals that are in most of them and because it doesnt help the skin. Real moisture comes from deep within, not a topical... hence the water rather than a cream...

Wow, I'm quite surprised that a dermatologist finally admits this!

I say you should moisturize if you are dry. If your skin isn't dry, there's no need.

I moisturize now because my skin can get dry, but I never did before, because I didn't have dry skin. My skin used to be oily and that was all the moisture I needed then. Most moisturizers try to mimic natural sebum as much as possible because it is what really nourishes the skin.

So....if you're dry and/or flaky, moisturize. If not, skip it. There is no rule for everyone where this is concerned.