Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
teadrinker

Have You Ever Stopped Haircuts?

Background: This is the 6th year I've had acne that only improves when I go on antibiotics or stick to a really strict diet. I don't want to go on antibiotics for any more extended periods of time and I'm unable to eat so stringently at the present time.

So my forehead is the only place on my face that has moderate/severe acne, and I always get nervous when I get a haircut because of what the stylist will see.

Last time I went, the person cutting my hair made some comments that made me feel really bad about my acne and my face and said I should see a dermatologist.

I'm just looking for some support or advice, all of my offline friends have perfect skin.

pic is attached

post-62105-0-33367400-1324955388_thumb.j

post-62105-0-33367400-1324955388_thumb.j

Edited by teadrinker

You say that the forehead is the only place you have acne? Maybe it could possibly be that the oils or products that you put in your hair are causing it?

Well, if you really don't want to go get a haircut from the hairdressers you could always cut it yourself, buzzcut it or go to the barbers. I dont think the barbers even care about the acne on ur forehead. I dont know where you're from but right now in Australia its summer and it's holidays. I personally would just go for a buzzcut and wear a cap to hide everything, but that's just me. xD

Thanks for your reply.

I said the only place I have moderate/severe acne on my face is my forehead. Sorry for being unclear. I have some acne that is not too bad on my nose, chin, and neck. I have severe acne on my back and also moderate acne on my chest.

I'm in the US and it is winter here.

Ya I hate going to them coz of my acne and looking at myself in the mirror coz it's horrid! xD So I've avioded cutting my hair for about 3 months but i'll have to cut it soon! D:

I'm sorry to hear that. sad.png

You're hair dresser sounds like a jerk; I'd find a new one.

Your situation is a bit of a catch twenty-two; you could go without a haircut, but, if you have bangs the buildup of oil throughout the day will only aggregate the problem. That said, it obviously makes you uncomfortable to be in a position of potential criticism - and there's obviously nothing good about being cut down like you were.

If you're really distressed about this (I can only make assumptions - I'm sorry if these are incorrect!), you might want to look into therapy of some sorts or a referral to a psychiatrist (if for nothing more than an evaluation). Being self-conscious, however, isn't a mental illness in its own, and if you're just looking to find some support, you've come to the right place.

I can't say much more - it's your choice. For what it's worth, I'd just get it over with - at least you'd be safe for the next few months, and you'll help prevent a more severe flare-up in your acne (at least on your forehead).

Edited by nomit

Ditch your hairdresser, he/she is a jerk. You go to a hairdresser for a haircut and to make yourself feel better, not to be judged by them or made to feel worse.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend skipping haircuts. Just from personal experience I know that when my hair is short after a haircut, my acne improves dramatically as I've not got greasy hair sitting on my skin contributing to an already oily face. Just get a new hairdresser, the one you have now isn't worth your time of day!

Go to a barbershop and have someone fade you up. Or you could pick up an electric razor to shave your head. Your forehead doesn't need oily hair sitting on top of it all day. Keep your hair short and you can minimize the problem.

The reason I say barbershop is because grown men aren't going to make a comment on another man's skin. They cut you hair and it's not going to be a conversation about your skin. I've also been to different places like supercuts before and nobody brought up my acne, and my forehead was maybe a little worse than yours. That hairdresser wasn't making fun of you. You are paranoid.

Guest pokemonster

bro listen this, without haircut you will look even more ugly than without it. I do not understand people who cut their hairs. You will look like pimply egg with short hair. everything exposed! o__o If you have clear skin and it fits you, ok, but otherwise i dont think so..If you will have decent hairstyle at least you will look like person who has good hair just unfortunate to have acne, which is better than bad skin, bad hair, blah everything..right? I wear fringe on forhead and bangs etc, but as i have found out it affects very little how i break out at those places and doesnt stop me from getting acne other places. i strongly believe its mostly internal problem, but solution may be, you could just additionally apply treatment to only those specific places where your hair is used to touch skin?

@steven ikr! ;c

You need to get a haircut. Your bangs contain grease and other junk that will clog your pores on your forehead to make your acne worse. In most cases, your stylist shouldn't have the audacity to give you problems about your acne because they want your money. If they do give you problems you could threaten to go to a different hair place and talk to the manager. That will scare the sh*t out of them haha.

yeah, wtf is up with hairdressers? they ALL said to me to go see a derm when my forehead used to break out, and ive got a bit of a temper so id always just say 'mind your own f*cking business,' or whatever, but i HAVE avoided going to them whan im getting breakouts on my neck hairline cuz they're just not very careful about hitting pimples with scissors! luckily my mom used to be a pro salon hairdresser so i get my cuts from her, im not even embarrassed about it cuz whenever she cuts my hair ppl are always complimenting it!