Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NCsweettea

I May Be One Of The Oldest Members On Here...so Depressing :-( 48 And Cysts....

awww trent..big big hugs!! im depressed too..cortisone shot didnt work completely..altho the cyst is smaller, its still here :(...and i can tell its here to stay for quite awhile, and its really red..so depressing! it really has taken away what shld be a very happy time for me...its so dumb but i know i gonna remember how bad i felt the days b4 leading up to my wedding..it just stinks..

Yes it sucks! But hopefully the cyst will keep going down...sometimes it takes awhile for the shot to work. There's an oral version that can be taken too. I took it years ago for a special event...can't remember the name. It's something you can take only once in a great while so it must be a cortisteroid something or other. Wish I could remember the name. Ask your derm about this. Does he/she know you have a wedding coming up? Also an antibiotic...something strong...will help. I find the boost of a full strength antibiotic lifts my mood. Will keep you in my prayers. And a hug for you too Trent.

I wanted to tell you that I can completely relate. I'm 46 and still have acne and it's very hard to deal with acne at the same time as fighting wrinkles. Wanted to let you know that you are not alone. There are some other "older", "more mature", "just been around longer" members who are going through the same thing.

I

been having a terrible last month..was doing ok...but had a bout of cysts that have knocked me down big time..the last couple of times i have gone to the derm, she has been pushing accutane..im just so scared..not only the accutane but being on birth control at age 45...but i feel i have hit my rock bottom. I keep thinking sooner or later my age will kick in and i wont have to deal with this anymore, but no such luck...my skin is the worst it has ever been...if theres anybody around my age that is taking accutane, would truly appreciate any encouragement, or helpful advice..feeling so defeated..

If you're getting married soon, the quick fix is to get cortisone shots and to take a really strong antibiotic. Once my derm put me on Z-Pac for 2 weeks and my skin was flawless after 1 week. But 3 weeks later I had to stop the Z-Pac because it was so strong, and the acne was back again...I'm against antibiotics long term, but if you want clear skin on this special day in your life, I would ask your derm about it.

Edited by Green Gables

cvd -

Thank you SO much for your post!!! It really does help to know I'm not alone in this ongoing battle with my skin....I just figured I'd be over this by now!!! Each year, I keep thinking, " surely, i won't keep getting these huge cysts!!" and each year, they keep coming...UG!!!

I did consider accutane a few years back, but after talking to my dermatologist about the side effects, I decided against it. It just seems to be too big of a "gun" for my issue. I mean, she was willing to prescribe it to me, it was me who decided not to. I probably get 3-4 cysts a year, with about 2 of them being REALLLLLY bad (like the one I've currently got on my chin...it's a whopper, though it's started to drain in the last few days...the other one, under my nose, drained yesterday too, and is now more of a maneageable size)

Spironolactone- I did try that a few years back, but didn't notice much of a difference

antibiotics- I plan to ask my dermatologist to put me back on minocycline for a few months, to get the breakouts back under control...I'll see what she says. Yeah, the Oracea doesn't do anything about cysts, though it does keep the rosacea bumps at bay ..yay! rolleyes.gif

I just ordered the book " The Clear Skin Diet"...it should arrive tomorrow, and I'm hoping and praying eusa_pray.gif that dietary changes will help me, as they seem to have helped you and so many others. I have to admit, my diet sucks, it really does. I live mostly on carbs and junk, don't eat alot of fruits or veggies, and drink too much wine- a glass at night, maybe two sometimes.... I occasionally slip into healthy eating, but I am married to a ( wonderful) man who happens to be southern, and was raised on fried foods and eating out ...I love my guy, but his eating habits have not been good for me!!! So.....I"m hoping dietary changes will help tremendously, especially as i am now fully entering into a perimenopausal phase ( I think I'm ovulating again...didn't even get a period this month!! AGG!)

I will definitely ask for the spot treatment, too!!! I haven't ever heard of the sufacetamide/sulfur treatment! I'll try anything at this point!!!

I used to routinely get cyst injections, and they seemed like magic..........that is,until they started " sinking in" when the cyst when down, and instead of a big bump, I"d have a big divet in my face, that would sometimes linger for months!!! Worse than the cyst, if you can imagine that. I've actually got scarring on my chin from repeated cyst injections in my 30's. So.....as wonderful as those were, when they worked.....I won't touch them anymore...huh.png

I am going to go to whole foods tomorrow and look into supplements to take, too. Especially since my diet ain't all that great, it can't hurt..

It's just SO FRUSTRATING!! I will go for months and months without a zit, and then POOF, two huge ones will pop up. It's like, when my skin looks good, it looks really good....but when it looks bad, it looks baaaaaaad. I rarely have anything in between!!!

I also just ordered Dan's BP gel, and will try his regimin. I've tried retinoids in the past, but they made me break out WORSE!! Though, I may ask again, and do the minocycline too, to get through the breakout phase. I used to use Retin-a years back, wish I had never stopped!!!!

THANK YOU again for your nice reply. I will take all your suggestions into consideration!!!!!

oh, and p.s.

I LOVE NEUTROGENA MINERAL SHEERS!! LOVE IT!! I have NEVER found a makeup that covers so well, especially redness. In fact, it's the best " concealer" i've ever used, too. Today, i had to go back to work, so I had to take the band-aid off of the huge cyst on my chin, which has started to reach a head and drain, but is still pretty red. So....after washing and moisturizing, I put a light layer of the liquid Neutrogena Healthy skin makeup on, then a dusting of the powdered mineral sheers over it ( I find the combo of the two works best for coverage) Then dabbed a small makeup brush into the powdered mineral sheers make up, and used it as a concealer.. AMAZING!! Covers almost all of the red, and doesn't look "gunky". Yeah, the bump is still there, but it's not so red looking, which helps to camoflauge it somewhat. It did enough that I felt ok going out, anyway whistling.gif)

I was in a similar situation to you. I have had a full blood analysis done with everything coming back completely normal. Done liver cleanses, watched my diet, quit certain foods etc, changed face products, washed more, washed less, stopped using all acne products. Gone all on antibiotics (i think it was almost on them for 2 years with absolutely no improvement). I am not covered by our government to see a dermatologist which would mean $300 to go privately. I'm 28, with 2 children who are my main priority, especially with finances. So that wasnt going to happen! I've seen beauticians, done facials, home treatments, completely natural... I think i've covered everything! Even tried about 10 different contraceptive pills with some making me unwell or making my skin worse. I understand your feeling about accutane, I too have refused to use it given the mental health risks, I cant risk being depressed with children around. I got (a 5th) opinion by another doctor. Who was amazing, and suggested i try isotretinoin. It is rather similar to accutane with less health risks associated with it. However here is not funded (we dont have private insurance like the states, medical care is funded by the government on a case by case basis). He assured me that most of the mental health risks are associated with teens, already experiencing some instabilities due to those difficult hormonal years and combined with the meds made things worse. However a woman of my age, generally functioning with few dog days (most of those caused from massive breakouts) should be fine but he will monitor me monthly over a 3month course. So i've decided to give it ago for 3months. I'm only a third through my treatment, have had little side affects minus some dry lips, and my skin is clearing! The flare up was so mild and I've stuck with using a nutrimetics sooth cleansing kit. I know its considered the last line but I would fully suggest trying it. My bloods came back with no apparently reason as to why i should have acne in my late 20s, and the only possible reason could be that my oil glands are over active and there for wont respond to anything and continue to stay. Give it a go, you can always stop if you feel it is not helping, I have a friend looking out for me, just to keep an eye out to see if my moods changed, and if anything they said i've been happier and calmer because i'm not stressing about having time to put make up on every day or checking to see how bad my face is anymore :)

Okay these are some of the longest post responses I've seen here, so I didn't read through all the essays...but NCsweettea, have you tried spiro? I have had horrid acne for 12 years and spent thousands of dollars trying to naturally cure it. I can't afford it anymore. I have been on 100mg spironolactone for 4 months and my skin is actually clearing...for $10 a month.