Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi. I used to have moderate acne, large painful lumps under my skin, that looked very red and even distorted the shape of my face. My life was a living hell dealing with the self-esteem issues etc I suffered. Crying after looking in the mirror was a regular thing for me. To all of you who have the acne problem: I feel your pain.

I was trying to sleep tonight, and I just wanted to come back and help some people who might be going through what I was. I originally posted my success story here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/100-clear-board-t249282.html

I've actually learned a lot in these past 2 years, so I'm back to share it. I'm 100% clear now almost all the time. Occasionally get a very surface level whitehead, when I don't follow my own rules, although even now I'm finding I can occasionally do stuff which totally should give me acne (like eating some really sickly sweet chocolate ice cream and drinking a bunch of alcohol on the same day) but it doesn't! Bam!

1-week instant acne solution

Here's a quick technique guide, for people who want to just dive right in, without reading too much. I'll talk about the rationale for it below. This is what I wish I someone could have told me a few years back - how to get clear in a week or so.

GREEN SMOOTHIE. Replace one meal a day (breakfast for me) with a green smoothie. Here's my recipe: Mint leaves, spinach, coconut water, half a banana, tiny drop of agave nectar, freshly squeezed lime juice. I can literally feel my skin heal up when I do this. It's highly anti-inflammatory, ultra rich in vitamins and minerals, rich in chlorophyll which helps detoxify the body. My number one most powerful ally in maintaining clear skin is to have nothing else but a beautiful green smoothie for breakfast. Research it - you'll find so many people who swear by them.

OMEGA 3 (from cod liver oil and Vitamin rich butter fat combined). Honestly, most Omega 3 supplements don't work. I tried loads and never had much success, until I read Tim Ferris the Four Hour Body, and read some really interesting research about how unsaturated fats like Omega 3 need to be accompanied by saturated fats to be properly absorbed and utilized by the body. I started buying Fermented cod liver oil with vitamin rich butter fat (combo of saturated and unsaturated fat). There's a particular supplement maker who combines these two in capsules or liquid form. I take the capsules. I'm not here to advertise anyone's brand, but google it - there is only one real manufacturer who is doing this right now. This is my get out of jail free card for acne. These omega-3 caps are incredibly high quality and carefully treated to preserve the nutrients, and they work v. well. I've got to admit, I've got a bad habit: I like drinking alcohol, often like to have several glasses of wine and maybe some cocktails in with the deal once or twice a week. I'm a young guy, I'm out dating etc, I live in NY, it's hard to avoid this. This would cause my acne to come back a little sometimes. I started on the fermented cod liver/vitamin rich butter fat caps and BAM! I can drink and sugary stuff (occasionally, not to excess) and still have great skin.

Green vegetables 3 times a day. So I have the green smoothie for breakfast, lots of salad etc for lunch, and ensure I get some steamed green veg like spinach etc in the evening. For some reason, green vegetables and salad are just the ultimate acne-antidote.

Yoga. Got to say, you could probably get clear with yoga by itself. The main thing about yoga is increasing levels of oxygen in the blood, clearing out the lymphatic system (eliminates waste in your body from the cells), and most importantly CIRCULATING NUTRIENT AND OXYGEN RICH BLOOD TO THE SKIN. If you're taking the three steps listed above, you'll have lots of nutrients available in your blood, and doing an exercise like yoga (with all sorts of upside down poses etc) which will bring tons of that nutrient rich blood rushing to your skin where it's needed. If you really can't bring yourself to do yoga, at least go for a short run (sprint a bit, if you like). I'll just do 5 minutes of exercise everyday, just enough to get lots of healthy fresh blood circulating to my skin. At least 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week. If I only do 5 minutes, it will just be a 5 minute intense sprint.

To eliminate: Eliminate every single refined carbohydrate (white bread, pasta, white rice) and refined sugar from your diet. Guess what - almost every breakfast cereal contains refined sugar. I look at every single list of ingredients for anything I eat, and if there's sugar in it, I won't touch it. I never eat candy. If I get a plate of pasta put in front of me, even if I'm starving hungry, I'll just take that stuff and chuck it in the bin. Refined carbs and sugar cause huge blood sugar fluctuation, which believe me, leads to acne. I can't be bothered with a science lesson - google acne and blood sugar and draw your own conclusions, do your own research. Eliminate alcohol, messes up your blood sugar too.

Ultimate topical: This took me from 95% clear to just never even seeing a hint of redness or a spot on my skin, 100% ultra-clear. I use unrefined, organic coconut oil (1/3 of a tea spoon, warmed up until liquid) with 5 drops of tea tree oil. I mix that up and apply it to my face. You can feel it working and clearing your skin. Both substances - organic coconut oil and tea tree oil are anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-viral. Coconut oil is rich in healthy nutrients, and tea tree oil is like a spot destroying machine. I only found this one out recently and it's just absolutely nailed all skin probs. Coconut oil has a slightly acidic pH which is anti-bacterial. Just apply a light covering on your skin - it will moisturize and stop your skin producing excessive sebum oils which bacteria feed off of.

Vitamin D: I'm going to confess here, I use sunbeds as a source of Vitamin D. The UV stimulates production of Vitamin D. Very very careful and moderate use - I never go on for more than like 2 or 3 minutes. Never burn from it. http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=5A62FC73922FD51A88E62E42C5A0AD5E I suggest watching this video for a bit of truth about sunlight and skin cancer, before you comment, I suggest watching that with an open mind. If you're going to do this supplement with Astaxanthin - it gives your skin massive protection from UV and reduces chances of burning. Interesting article about this here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/1108-sunscreen_in_a_pill.htm Supplements are a great way to get Vitamin D (Vitamin D3) - but be careful you can take too much. Don't use tanbeds ever unless you are on an ultra-healthy diet including green smoothies, rich in antioxidants, rich in fruit and vegetables, with very little or no junk food. Very healthy diet + limited, carefully moderated healthy amount of sun exposure / UV exposure is good for you as it raises vitamin D in the blood (and vitamin D is one of the most powerful anti-cancer nutrients). However if your diet is crap, your low in antioxidants, overexposure to UV or sunlight can cause you to burn and lead to skin cancer. SO EXTREME CAUTION AND COMMON SENSE HERE FOLKS. Don't rush into anything - do your research, don't take my word for it. But DO RAISE YOUR VITAMIN D - work out the healthiest solution for you.

B-Vitamins: I find supplementation of B-Vitamins has a powerful effect. If you are vegan/vegetarian getting the full spectrum of b-vitamins can be difficult, so I suggest buying supplements.

So for one week: Green smoothie for breakfast every day (and nothing else - it's important to ONLY have the green smoothie) Fermented cod liver oil and vitamin rich butter fat - 2 caps first thing in morning, 2 caps last thing at night, yoga or exercise 5 times that week, Vitamin D supplementation (get a high quality expensive supplement from a health food store) or 20-30 mins of direct sunlight per day (for people with fair to medium skin, darker skin may require longer as pigmentation blocks vitamin D absorption), green vegetables 3 x per day, use the coconut oil/tea tree oil topical, supplement your B-vitamins, and ELIMINATE ALL SUGAR, REFINED CARBS, JUNK FOOD.

I'm going to respond to questions, and anyone who wants more help or advice from me can contact me, and I'll try to give you some advice. I've been on the getting clear path for 5 years, and really want to help some other folks get clear too.

I wish I had some before pics, but I've only got after :-) clear for past 3 - 4 years and loving it.

post-112129-0-22321100-1324684833_thumb.

Wow! Comprehensive list there -- and wonderfully healthy. :D

So ... I basically follow the majority of this list. I'm still having *some* breakouts, but I think it's from stopping BP? That can cause your skin to undergo an adjustment period, right?

I definitely need to add green smoothies to my day. Though I'd include blueberries over banana, but that's just me. Love those anti-oxidant rich effers. ;D

Way to go! You look great - and best of all, you look happy and confident. :)

Yoga. Got to say, you could probably get clear with yoga by itself. The main thing about yoga is increasing levels of oxygen in the blood, clearing out the lymphatic system (eliminates waste in your body from the cells), and most importantly CIRCULATING NUTRIENT AND OXYGEN RICH BLOOD TO THE SKIN. If you're taking the three steps listed above, you'll have lots of nutrients available in your blood, and doing an exercise like yoga (with all sorts of upside down poses etc) which will bring tons of that nutrient rich blood rushing to your skin where it's needed. If you really can't bring yourself to do yoga, at least go for a short run (sprint a bit, if you like). I'll just do 5 minutes of exercise everyday, just enough to get lots of healthy fresh blood circulating to my skin. At least 5 minutes a day, 5 days a week. If I only do 5 minutes, it will just be a 5 minute intense sprint.

Do you think lifting weights would have the same results as yoga? Except for the upside down posing part lol. Will yoga help if I am not getting that many green vegetables that make my blood nutrient-rich?

Ultimate topical: This took me from 95% clear to just never even seeing a hint of redness or a spot on my skin, 100% ultra-clear. I use unrefined, organic coconut oil (1/3 of a tea spoon, warmed up until liquid) with 5 drops of tea tree oil. I mix that up and apply it to my face. You can feel it working and clearing your skin. Both substances - organic coconut oil and tea tree oil are anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-viral. Coconut oil is rich in healthy nutrients, and tea tree oil is like a spot destroying machine. I only found this one out recently and it's just absolutely nailed all skin probs. Coconut oil has a slightly acidic pH which is anti-bacterial. Just apply a light covering on your skin - it will moisturize and stop your skin producing excessive sebum oils which bacteria feed off of.

I already eat pretty well with Paleo diet. But I haven't found a good face moisturizer that doesn't break me out.

I tried putting coconut oil on my face in the past but my face broke out.

I never tried combining coconut oil with tea tree oil. How did you figure out the right ratio of coconut oil to tea tree oil?

Might try that out with the tea tree oil:)

Ukulala - yes I guess so. Try the tea tree oil topical as a replacement. and thanks :-)

Omnivium-In my experience some kind of stretching exercise that also makes you sweat is the best. If not, running or some kind of aerobic exercise. You have a lymph circulation system which carries nutrients to the cells and waste away from the cells. There's four times more lymph fluid than blood in your body. But there's no heart to pump your lymph flood - to circulate properly you need to jog the fluid around. Another form of exercise which is great for lymph is rebounding. I lift weights a lot, but I find yoga far more helpful for skin health.

dancedd - just trial and experimentation for that ratio. Also, be careful not to use too much coconut oil, you want to be able to let your skin breath, and a tiny bit goes a long way.