Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wmd1234

Accutane: College Senior, Second Course

Hi all,

I have suffered from acne for a long time now, about eight years. It began in middle school, continued through high school and even into college. Most of the time my acne was manageable and didn't seem to get in the way of my life, but now that I am a college senior I am ready to have clear skin and not fall victim to the low self-esteem and other effects acne brings with it.

Last night I took the first dose of my second course of Accutane. After talking with my dermatologist and my parents, I think now is the right time to take this drug and hopefully move on to a life with a clear complexion. To start off, I'll be taking 40 mg of Claravis each day until I meet with my dermatologist again and evaluate how I am responding to the medicine.

Because this is my second course, I know what to expect in terms of side-effects. Hopefully my experience this time around will help me manage them better. Aquaphor is my friend.

I'd like to learn about effective supplements and what has worked for other members while on Accutane. What supplements have worked for you when you were on Accutane? Right now, I plan to supplement with fish oil, iron, calcium, vitamin b-complex, and milk thistle (for liver functioning). Any other suggestions? I'm especially interested in how to improve liver functioning and lower triglyceride levels.

Best of luck to all of you out there, I know I'll need it. Accutane is a powerful drug and the journey to clear skin is full of challenges.

Merry Christmas everyone.

So, I have acne. But I also have a lot of other things in my life for which I am thankful.

I am thankful for: my loving family, my caring friends, my beautiful girlfriend, the opportunity I have to obtain a quality education, the fact that I have a job lined up after graduation when many people are out of work, and for the fact that I never have to worry where my next meal is coming from or where I am going to sleep tonight. If acne is one of my biggest problems, then I am lucky. That doesn't mean that I won't do everything I can to improve myself and thus my self-esteem. But I am lucky.

Edited by wmd1234

Today is day 5 of my journey. Thus far, I haven't noticed any significant side-effects. I have been diligent about using lotion on my face and body and applying Aquaphor to my lips. If anything, I've been a little more thirsty than usual, but I'm constantly hydrating so that's not a problem.

Edited by wmd1234

Good for you with the moisturizer! I kept mine up before the dryness really started to occur and it helped the transition for me 100%! aquafor is awesome and so is Carmex - I use Carmex during the day and cover my lips in aquafor before bed. My lips are actually softer than they ever have been!

Good luck! Keep us posted

Oh And I take flax seed oil supplements as well- they help with your cholesterol

Good for you with the moisturizer! I kept mine up before the dryness really started to occur and it helped the transition for me 100%! aquafor is awesome and so is Carmex - I use Carmex during the day and cover my lips in aquafor before bed. My lips are actually softer than they ever have been!

Good luck! Keep us posted

Oh And I take flax seed oil supplements as well- they help with your cholesterol

Good idea with the flax seed oil - I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks for your support!

I just took my seventh pill.

One week in and I'm feeling good. I haven't noticed any side-effects apart from dry lips. I'm also very, very thirsty at times but I've been doing a good job of keeping hydrated. This is a list of the supplements I'm taking: flax seed, fish oil, milk thistle, vitamin b-complex, magnesium, and zinc.

If anything, my skin has calmed down. That's probably a result of using softer products on my face and not applying topical creams. I did break out along my left temple, but that area has been trouble for me and I don't think this is anything out of the ordinary. If this is the dreaded initial break out, I'll take it. But the coming week will be more telling.

Just a side note, I will not be posting pictures of my progress. I'd like to make sure that my privacy is maintained.

Edited by wmd1234

Hard to believe that today marks two weeks already.

I think it is safe to say that the initial break-out has come. I currently have three actives on the right side of my face along with a few on each shoulder and in the center of my chest. My left cheek is currently clear and I believe the right side will heal within a few days. I think it has helped that I completed a course of antibiotics prior to going on Accutane. Hopefully I got some of the crap out of my system already.

The side-effects have been manageable thus far. I did wake up one day with a bloody nose but I am prone to bloody noses and think it may have something to do with the rapidly changing temperature outside. That was about four or five days ago and I haven't had a problem since. I have noticed that my lips have been so chapped! Of course this is the most common side-effect of Accutane and one that I saw coming a mile away. Still, it's annoying!

I'm home for about another ten days before I head back to school. Gonna use this down-time to relax, read, go to the gym, and let my skin heal. Hopefully I'm looking a little better by then.

Until we meet again...

Day 18

Not too much going on right now. Just grinding my way through these next couple of months.

My skin is definitely improving. After a manageable initial break out, my skin has calmed. I have fewer actives and old spots are clearing. The acne on my chest and shoulders is also calming and clearing. Right now things are going well.

Side-effects are also manageable. Dry lips and dry scalp, that's about it. Continuing to supplement with milk thistle, fish oil, vitamins B, C, and E, and magnesium.

Edited by wmd1234

Nice log, I've just taken my second dose of 90mg/day. Hope it's going well!

Thanks, are you writing a log as well?

Today is day 20. Because of my college schedule, my dermatologist has agreed to be flexible with appointments and such. I'll be meeting him tomorrow morning, which marks three weeks from the beginning of my course. I haven't gone for blood work though, so I am hoping that I can go later in the week and if everything looks good, my derm can call up the pharmacy and place the order for next month.

Other than that, things are going well. Haven't had any new spots on my face which is encouraging. So far, so good.

Edited by wmd1234

Hey, how is your 3rd month going?

I'm also a college senior, on my second course. First time round was in 2006. I'm 21 now

Thank you for the supplement list!! I'll be grabbing some milk thistle and flax seed oil.

My side effects have not been too bad, I looked back at my log from the first course and by the third week I already had back pain and trouble sleeping at night... the most annoying thing I've got now is a cut on the corners of my lip that sting every time I open my mouth and constantly dries out...

...And increased appetite.. can't stop grabbing food.. hoping I don't have a huge weight gain from this!

Edited by paradoll

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I last posted so I think it's about time for an update. Today is day 70, which means that I've completed ten weeks of my course. My dermatologist said I would be on Accutane for six months but we'll see about that.

My skin has never been better. I have basically no active acne and the red marks are beginning to fade. I couldn't be happier with my progress so far. My confidence has gone up and I'm sure it will continue to go up as my skin improves even further.

Now, I am travelling internationally next week. I'm not sure what the rules are about bringing Accutane with me and I don't want to run into any problems on the airline or customs or anything like that. If I take the pills in the morning the day I leave and the night the day I come back, I'll only miss four days. I might do that. In the long run, I don't think missing four days will have an impact on my course. Has anyone else had any experience travelling while on Accutane?

Also, what sunscreens do you guys recommend? I'm going to be out in the sun a lot.

Good luck everyone!

Hey, how is your 3rd month going?

I'm also a college senior, on my second course. First time round was in 2006. I'm 21 now

Thank you for the supplement list!! I'll be grabbing some milk thistle and flax seed oil.

My side effects have not been too bad, I looked back at my log from the first course and by the third week I already had back pain and trouble sleeping at night... the most annoying thing I've got now is a cut on the corners of my lip that sting every time I open my mouth and constantly dries out...

...And increased appetite.. can't stop grabbing food.. hoping I don't have a huge weight gain from this!

Edited by wmd1234

Day 71

Accutane has a way of doing things to you. One day you are making progress and feeling good then suddenly you get a few spots. All of a sudden you feel like shit. Even though you know your skin is better than when you began you still can't help but feel depressed about regression. Acne sucks. It kills your self-esteem and all you want to do is be alone.

hey, same as mine. I'm also prone to bloody nose/nose bleed. do you use aquaphor for your nose? does it help? I'm thinking about buying aquaphor since I just started accutane 2 days ago. from what I read, if I moisturize early before the dryness starts to occur, it will help?

Glad to hear you're doing well!

I grabbed a bunch of supplements, and I think I've been doing better. I grabbed also carmex and eucerin/aquaphor. My skin peels quite a bit by the end of the day but I think overall the sideffects haven't been that much worse than the first time around. My eyes are insanely dry though. I've given up on contacts, and I'm afraid how permanent this side effect might be because I'm pretty sure the first course had something to do with my eyes being always dry.

i Just got back from an international trip, I had 0 problems with carrying Accutane, (Canada/US/S. Korea borders). No questions asked. I didn't' really take my whole lot of vitamins though either, or have much baggage so it's not like they did a thorough search on me.. no problems with taking my eucerin, carmex, eyedrops, etc. Just make sure it's <100mL if it's on your carry-on. If you're worried it might give you some hassle, just make sure you have your prescription labelled on your 'tane.

hey, same as mine. I'm also prone to bloody nose/nose bleed. do you use aquaphor for your nose? does it help? I'm thinking about buying aquaphor since I just started accutane 2 days ago. from what I read, if I moisturize early before the dryness starts to occur, it will help?

Time for another update.

Looking back, I think the last two weeks were the hardest I'll have to go through while on Accutane for various reasons. But I made it, which means the rest is smooth sailing from here on out. My skin is progressing very nicely. Right now I don't have any actives on my face and the marks are still fading. Looking better every day. It's funny, but I can use how often I put in my contacts as a proxy for the condition of my skin. You see, my eye sight isn't so bad where contacts are necessary but they help me identify faces from far away and read the board in class. I can get away without them. When my skin is bad, I often avoid the mirror so I don't feel bad about myself and so I don't put in my contact lenses. When I am feeling good about my skin, I put them in. I've been putting them in more often lately. Stupid, I know.

I have a derm appointment coming up and some blood work to get done soon as well. To be honest, I'm a little anxious about the blood work because I did a little bit too much drinking last week but what are you gonna do. The results will be what they are. From now until then, hydration, hydration, hydration.

As far as side effects go, it's been mild. I'm more fatigued then usual but dryness isn't a problem that can't be combated with diligent lotion use and copious amounts of Aquaphor. One day at a time over here...

It will be a glorious day when I am finally finished with this medicine. Two steps forward, one step back, always. It's almost more of a mind game than a physical game. Gotta remember to stay optimistic.

nice log mate, nice to hear about your progress. Just hang in there, it sounds like your about 1-2 months away from being breakout free, hopefully it all goes well

It will be a glorious day when I am finally finished with this medicine. Two steps forward, one step back, always. It's almost more of a mind game than a physical game. Gotta remember to stay optimistic.

did you break out again?? what day are you on??

nice log mate, nice to hear about your progress. Just hang in there, it sounds like your about 1-2 months away from being breakout free, hopefully it all goes well

Thanks for the kind words.

did you break out again?? what day are you on??

Yup, got a pretty unsightly one right before I traveled home to see my family. They always seem to come when you least want them, don't they? I'm currently on day 84, I took four days off while traveling. I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow morning. I'm a little anxious about how the blood results will come back.

I read somewhere that taking accutane the second time can be dangerous if you are in your 20s, what is that all about?

Also, is accutane expensive?

Idk about that even tho i'm about to turn 20 in april, but all i can say was that the first couple of days that i just started Accutane, i got the worst migraines from hell, i felt extremely nauseous, had a fever & chills and i was very sensitive to any light.. Yesterday & Today my 4th & 5th day on the treatment i feel perfectly fine, completely normal like nothing is wrong... . Idk what came over me ? Maybe it was the fact that i was outside in the sun?? cuz i was at sea world!! & the zoo for spring break LOL

I read somewhere that taking accutane the second time can be dangerous if you are in your 20s, what is that all about?

Can you provide some links to evidence? I'd be interested in reading more about that.

Also, is accutane expensive?

My insurance covers the medication. I have a $5 copay.

Idk about that even tho i'm about to turn 20 in april, but all i can say was that the first couple of days that i just started Accutane, i got the worst migraines from hell, i felt extremely nauseous, had a fever & chills and i was very sensitive to any light.. Yesterday & Today my 4th & 5th day on the treatment i feel perfectly fine, completely normal like nothing is wrong... . Idk what came over me ? Maybe it was the fact that i was outside in the sun?? cuz i was at sea world!! & the zoo for spring break LOL

I experienced headaches as well the first few days I started taking Accutane. I'm not convinced it was from the medicine though as I haven't had any problems since. Overall, the side-effects have been quite mild for me. A good tip I found on these boards is when brushing your teeth to gently scrub your lips with the toothbrush. This removes the dead skin from your lips. Then apply some Aquaphor and you'll have very soft, non-chapped lips. Give it a try.

Edited by wmd1234

Day ninety something...

Just putting one day in the books at a time. Skin is clearing up nicely. Chest is still a problem area. Side-effects are manageable. Chillin.

I think we're all like Kanye in our Accutane journeys.