Notifications
Clear all

Why Is Popping Whiteheads So Bad?

MemberMember
(@weeweewee)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:58 am

Alright... so i know its "bad", but i can't seem to get it through my mind that leaving the stuff that i normally squeeze out inside the pimple would be better. Where would it go if i don't pop it? eusa_think.gif

I guess i just need a thorough explanation of why i should stop popping zits. I can't convince myself to stop (i know i should).

Also, is it ok to pop one, assuming its a clean, hassle free, and no pain?

Any help would be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 12/22/2011 2:48 am

If someone can explain that to me, I'd like it too.

If I do not pop my pimples, they grow into large whiteheads and stay there for 3-4 days.

MemberMember
(@lola-burns)

Posted : 12/22/2011 2:56 am

I think the general rule is that popping a whitehead is like letting a pandora's box of bacteria loose to attack your whole face and you may rupture the pore's wall, increasing the odds of scarring. Others would argue that if you do it right, it should do no harm.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 12/22/2011 3:15 am

It makes sense. I wouldn't pop small whiteheads and take risks. But what can be done with very large whiteheads? I am talking about swollen inflammed pimples which are full of puss. I usually pop them. It may leave a small mark but if I don't they stay big for 3-4 days, and then it takes up to a week for the swollen area to resorb. Sometimes, a red mark also stays. When you're in your 30s and need to go to work, it's tough luck to have those come out on a monday and walk around all week with a huge whitehead.

MemberMember
(@weeweewee)

Posted : 12/22/2011 3:01 pm

This is all exactly how i feel- and they cannot be covered with makeup!

MemberMember
(@stpurple9)

Posted : 12/22/2011 3:12 pm

For small clogged pores/whiteheads, it's best to leave them alone, because sometimes they don't come out too easily and the risk is run of rupturing the pore wall underneath, as someone said. This inflames the whitehead and causes a bigger infection.

As for the actual pustules, the ones that are filled with obvious pus, I think as long as it's done safely and in a sanitary manner, and gently - not pressing too hard - it should be okay. I think the main issue is that when you rupture the pore like you do when you squeeze all those contents out, you run the risk of scarring. I always squeeze these out if I see them, because, like you, I can't leave my room let alone go to work or school with that thing hanging off my face, and popping them usually relieves the pressure and pain, and most of the time they go away relatively quickly and don't scar. Furthermore, I get cysts, and they seem to scar whether or not I squeeze.

The biggest no-no is to squeeze the little clogged pores. Infection can spread, and also, this is a very psychologically addicting habit, one that I have picked up over the past couple of months and one that is almost solely responsible for my current nightmare of facial acne. I used to squeeze very rarely, and I would sometimes get a small breakout from doing so, but I would never continue squeezing during the break out. A week or two later, I'd have my perfect skin back. But recently I have not been able to keep away from the squeezing and now I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror.

MemberMember
(@swj48)

Posted : 12/24/2011 2:59 pm

Only pop if it's gonna pop easily. You shouldn't need to squeez very hard. And follow dans tips for popping zits. Wrap your fingers in tissues to help keep the pus off your face.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 09/10/2014 5:59 am

Only pop if it's gonna pop easily. You shouldn't need to squeez very hard. And follow dans tips for popping zits. Wrap your fingers in tissues to help keep the pus off your face.

Wise approach

MemberMember
(@branchos)

Posted : 09/10/2014 7:52 am

Really depends on the place. Would never pop them on my cheek, upper lip or neck since that always leaves a mess but other places are usually fine.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 09/10/2014 10:35 am

I usually pop most of my whiteheads, yes. I use a needle and pierce the surface holding the needle parallel to the skin and I don't squeeze the white liquid with my fingers as shown in the video, I let it dry by itself instead.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Dr-Oz-Demonstrates-How-to-Properly-Pop-a-Pimple-Video

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 09/10/2014 12:41 pm

never thought of doing it that way!