Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
weeweewee

I Swear, I Get More Zits When I Dont Wear Makeup... Why?

This has happened to me a few days so far. Randomly i will decide not to wear make up for a day, and when i get home i swear i see more zits on my face. It seems to look much worse than when i take my makeup off. Why could this be happening? I was thinking that maybe me stressing out about how i look without makeup throughout the day contributes? it just doesn't make any sense, as common knowledge is makeup could only make acne worse.

Any thoughts?

Actually, some of the oil free foundations work as a "shield" from dirt and other airborne nastiness that reach your face. Even the oil from your hands doesn't reach your pores without getting past the wall of your cover-up. So yes, clogging your pores with make-up is and isn't a better way to deal with your acne, imo.

I find that when I wear make-up I am far less likely to touch my face for fear of messing with it; maybe this is the case for you too?

I have the same thought..... haha

My makeup keeps my face oil-free for longer. I believe since I use Revlon Colorstay which helps to control oil that it gets absorbed. And, like artisdead said (rhyme.), I don't touch my face when I have it on. Now that I'm not in school and lounging at home way more, makeup-free, I keep touching my skin!

I do get tiny clogged pores with makeup but I get full-out breakouts when I'm without it.... I need to find solutions to reducing oil when I do not have makeup on and stop touching.

I don't touch my face with or without make up on. I also noticed that my skin seems better when I DO wear make up. I don't understand it either. I went months (literally) without wearing any foundation and one would think with all the "DON'T PACK ON THE MAKEUP IT CAUSES ACNE" bullshit that it would have more time to heal and get clear.

This is seriously a myth. I really don't think acne is caused by foundation, nor do I think makeup can "clog" pores. My pores are clogged all on their own!

wow. i mean dang. when it comes down to it, i have the skin type where i break out more if i wear make up, so i don't wear it every day.

but if you had a choice, would you rather have skin that breaks out more with make up, or breaks out more without makeup?

i wouldn't choose either... strongsad.gif

Also, have y'all tried MAC Blot Powder? I've heard it soaks up oil and shine pretty well - I've wondered how well it works when the only makeup you wear is that powder....

Edited by adalyn

Ugh, I feel you, lady. It's a pain when you see spots after trying to let your skin "breathe." Although I don't think makeup causes acne, it's not helping. Pimples aren't always going to show up the same day, so maybe some of it is residual? But I've had similar experiences! I agree with the poster who said sometimes primers can protect your skin! I was in South Korea this past summer and I found my skin improved the weeks I wore MAC Prep+Prime (even without makeup).

Have you tried giving your skin a one-month makeup break? I know it sounds super-extreme, but I went two months makeup-free while I was on Accutane (insane, I know...and it was really, really hard at first), and my skin loved me for it! Just a thought because I really feel like after you get over the hump, going makeup-free is totally possible!

I have the same thought..... haha

My makeup keeps my face oil-free for longer. I believe since I use Revlon Colorstay which helps to control oil that it gets absorbed. And, like artisdead said (rhyme.), I don't touch my face when I have it on. Now that I'm not in school and lounging at home way more, makeup-free, I keep touching my skin!

I do get tiny clogged pores with makeup but I get full-out breakouts when I'm without it.... I need to find solutions to reducing oil when I do not have makeup on and stop touching.

Revlon colourstay contains alcohol, so this actually probably helps with your breakouts. Many years ago I used to SLEEP with this on because i didn't want my boyfriend to see me without makeup and i always found it actually seemed to help my skin....

My opinion, makeup that is not properly removed or worn in excess will cause problems. Whether it be a reaction, redness, rash or etc...it will compromise the skin barrier which sets the stage for a perfect environment for pimples to thrive. Even the most gentle of gentle makeups should be removed before you go to bed or in an ideal time frame. I would love to find the advertising dim-wit who marketed the phrase: " So gentle...you can sleep in it". Even if you did? Why would you want to?

Deciding on the perfect type of foundation for your skin is also important. Then finding the perfect formulation. I agree, some days I wear makeup and when I take it off at night my skin looks better-for the most part. There are days when I wear none at all for long periods of time and my skin looks fine. It's anyone's guess? Maybe it's all in my head or what I've been told for years to believe. I think the wrong makeup for the wrong skin can definitely compound the problem and delay healing. But I don't think it directly puts spots on your face.

Makeup will clog pores and aggravate your acne. It's a bunch of chemicals and oils you're putting on your face. Almost all of the store brand stuff including MAC is acne-aggravating. I stopped wearing liquid foundations years and years ago. I can't stand to look at a pretty girl and see her makeup more than her face.

I used Bare Minerals for many years, and then switched not too long ago to Everyday Essentials. Everyday Essentials does put lauryl lysine in a lot of their products and this can be aggravating, but they have a new line called IT base that does not have the lauryl lysine in it. Be careful of their other powders or concealers though. For a finishing powder, I recommend Mineral Veil from Bare Minerals or Lumiplexion has loose or pressed powders at a very reasonable price.

Some makeups will contain antioxidants that help your skin but at the cost of many other ingredients. This could be why you feel your skin looked better. Look for a acne-friendly antioxidant to use as a barrier for your skin. I use Lumiplexion cranberry & pomegranate gel. When I put it on it feels almost like a light primer. I use it before sunscreen and moisturizer.

I would not recommend any store brand liquid makeup, but I would look at Neutrogena oil-free or Physician's Formula before the rest.

Lumiplexion does make a liquid foundation with far less chemicals and no acne-aggravating ingredients. She custom blends the color for you. I did use this for several years before switching to minerals and never had a problem with it. One of my daughters tried the minerals but wanted more coverage and now uses the Lumiplexion liquid without any problem.

I feel the same way. If I don't put on foundation then my skin just looks sickeningly oily and uneven. Even if it's just my perception that changes, I don't care. I've been wearing makeup since middle school - as soon as puberty started my skin tone went to hell in a hand basket, and makeup is the only thing that doesn't make me look gross. I've never made a connection makeup and breakouts in my case. I know my acne is most of all hormonal. I've been mainly wearing minerals now for several years and I do hate them the least. The coverage is alright, but the way they wear seems much better than all the liquids I've tried, which look weird after a few hours. Plus the texture of my skin isn't always accommodating to liquid foundation. I'm still searching for my HG foundation; I wonder if it exists.