Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LiveLaughFart

Are Natural Sweeteners Ok?

Well to the body, sugar is sugar is sugar. But regardless, I'd still pick something natural over something refined anyday if I'm making a treat. Maple syrup, sucanat (evaporated cane juice), coconut sap, honey, beet juice for example. Agave nectar is crap, it's highly processed much like corn syrup.

Honey is great to prevent break-outs and allergies but make sure you buy it at a local farmer's market. Recently it was in the news that most of the honey in chain grocery stores is not really honey because it does not have pollen in it. Most of it is imported from China and the quality can be poor.

This is the deal. When you consume more sugar than your cells can take in you cause all kinds of problems including stimulating the hormones involved in acne and inflammation that's at the root of all kinds of health issues including acne. Regardless of how natural the sweetener is.

The only sweetener I even bother using nowadays is Stevia. 0 calories, virtually no glycemic impact and won't break you out unless you have some sort of stevia intolerance, which is theoretically possible but definitely not common.

The only sweetener I even bother using nowadays is Stevia. 0 calories, virtually no glycemic impact and won't break you out unless you have some sort of stevia intolerance, which is theoretically possible but definitely not common.

There is some evidence that stevia and other non-sugar sweeteners can still activate the pancreas to release insulin since the brain tastes sweet and therefore thinks "calories/sugar" but I don't think it's that strong. In fact I think stevia is good for increasing insulin sensitivity (marks daily apple). Too bad I think it tastes disgusting. Am I the only one for whom it leaves a gross aftertaste on their tongue? Blech.

Course they can. They're sugar, no? Just slightly better than the granulated kind we usually use. Just eat fewer sweet things. Or eat fruit, fruit's great.

I consume natural sugars and my skin does not seem to mind....

Maple Syrup- I go for Grade B or C since they are less refined than Grade A

Agave- I stay away from the ones they carry in the supermarkets cause they tend to be crap. Instead I use http://www.volcanicnectar.com/ or http://www.ultimatesuperfoods.com/

Honey- Raw unrefined honey is best...Raw Manuka honey is great for internal and external use

Stevia- I stay away from the white refined stevia...Id might as well use regular white sugar. Instead I go for the whole herb which is not found with the other sugars, since it is considered a herb. Raw stevia is a deep green color. http://www.navitasnaturals.com/products/stevia/stevia-powder.html

I use natural sweeteners in my raw desserts. Fruit is enough sweetness for me....most days! shifty.gif

There is some evidence that stevia and other non-sugar sweeteners can still activate the pancreas to release insulin since the brain tastes sweet and therefore thinks "calories/sugar" but I don't think it's that strong. In fact I think stevia is good for increasing insulin sensitivity (marks daily apple). Too bad I think it tastes disgusting. Am I the only one for whom it leaves a gross aftertaste on their tongue? Blech.

I think you might be using too much. It has this weird property of becoming almost licorice-like and bitter at higher amounts. If you only use a little bit it's very sweet.

Well I've only ever had it already mixed in something... it was a while ago, but I think in some kind of drink. So it probably wasn't even pure stevia. Maybe that's why it tasted funny? If I do try some though I'll make sure to only use a little.