Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Natashagirl

Can Diet Cure Acne?

I know, this question has been posted 1 mln times on all acne forums, but I still haven't found the answer. Please, read again my question. It doesn't say diet doesn't affect acne, it asks can diet cure acne? We all have experienced some breakouts after eating greasy foods, but will you be acne free as you cut out all those grains, dairy, sugary foods? Some people say they've got clear by eliminating certain foods, some people eat healthier than anybody else, but they still haven't noticed any difference. It's like the solution of clear skin is a 1,000 piece puzzle and diet gives us only 300 pieces. It seems like diet is the only 30% of this whole issue, only part of this picture. Does it mean that diet alone cannot cure acne? What if there is more than just healthy diet?

Most people who try to clear up their acne with diet only, forget the other aspects of curing,such as sleep, stress levels and etc.

"Diet is the only answer to acne clearing"- this is what I read in acne forums. Still plagued with acne, we think something we eat causes our acne. And most of the diets are impractical in real life. What about social life? How many times have we had to be in awkward situations because of our diets? And what if people try different diets, but they keep getting breakouts? They will eventually get discouraged. Back to square one-usually back to derm's office. Vicious cycle. Your thoughts and beliefs about getting clear act like road maps. And what if they're wrong? What if you keep trying new diets, but you're still a pimpled freak ? Chronic inflamation, insulin resistance, overall health problems, exccessive oil production, hormonal imbalance...can diet alone cure these all? Very doubtful.

All I want to do is to find the rest of the pieces of puzzle. Since I have 300 pieces of it, I am lucky enough to get an idea of what does this puzzle look like. But in order to get 99% clear, I need to take all the steps in acne clearing journey.

If you stay on the diet you will stay clear..but your skin will always be acne prone. Diet will control your acne, not completely permanetly cure it and let you be immune to all the junk food in the world. If you eat the acne triggers you WILL breakout again. So you just need to stick with a diet you will be able to keep for life.

Awkward social situations caused by our diet-well you have to choose between going out to fun restraunts, or being clear. If you don't want to miss out on all the cool restraunts with your friends/dates, I don't blame you, but I personally would choose to have clear skin over eating out at those restraunts. You have to realize the sad truth, being clear means eating what your body needs and mssing out on all the junk and watching other people eat the food you cannot have. It's sad but, you just have to deal with it because life gave you acne.

Edited by LiveLaughFart

Diet is a main component on the road to all healing. Not just acne.

some people eat healthier than anybody else, but they still haven't noticed any difference.

For years I had this attitude... "I eat so good, why am I still messed up!?" The problem is, I wasn't eating healthy. I just thought I was. I had to awaken about a lot of things and reinvent my ideas about what healthy is. I see the same thing all over this forum. People loading up on soy milk because they're trying to get off dairy. People eating whole wheat, thinking they're being healthier than usual. There is so much false information out there about what is good for us (mostly due to greed and the desire for these big corporations to make more money) so it's easy for people to get off on the wrong path.

This. So much this. THIS.

There is so much confusion and doubt about being able to holistically heal yourself from having acne because simply put, the recommendations that we believe (that we get from the government, the news, and labels on cereal boxes) are not based off any science, they're the way they are for economic reasons. I thought that I ate healthy too, yet my acne never healed, until I visited this forum and started researching nutrition and realized why things weren't working out for me.

Diet is more heavily focused on on this forum, but you're right, it is only one piece of the HOLISTIC puzzle. Sleep, stress, exercise and other things play their part, but all these things are interrelated because they work for one underlying reason, they help heal the body. Acne is most definitely a reflection of inner health, through which diet and lifestyle are big players in healing.

I've read that some people lose the propensity to receive acne (in other words they are no longer acne prone) because they've stuck to eating healthy long enough for their body to heal and handle the things that usually trigger them.

If you want diet to be your cure you have to try and err until you find the diet that cures YOU.

Ofcourse there are "easier" options, medications and the like, that might give you terrible side effects and mess with your inner organs. Diet might take loger to figure out, it might seem like an endless road, but if you (like me and a lot of people on here, and as you say, elsewhere online) believe that diet is the cure you just have to find the right diet for you.

Just saying, my friends don't find my diet weird. They're fully supportive. They think it's great I eat healthy. My family, however, is different.

No. It can't 'cure' acne. Neither can anything else. There's no such thing as a cure for acne just like there's no such thing as a cure for most health conditions.

In my personal experience, NO diet does not and can not cure acne. However, I have remained clear for 2 years straight, even without changing my diet. I do believe there is a cure, however it has to do with chemical related stress caused by other bodily functions, of which diet is not the main factor.

Diet sure affects acne, but it cannot cure it. Acne is like diabetes! You can live with it, keep it under control ( with diet and meds), but U'll never be cured for 100%. Just becoz diet mainly caused by genetics, it cannot be completely cured by meds, neither by diet. We are all acne prone, becoz of our damn genetics.

But eating healthy and avoiding certain triggers is a smart thing to do.

Once I started eating differently and living differently, I realized I really don't even care if I still get breakouts. I feel so much better, so positively different, that I can't imagine going back to living the way I used to. Of course, my skin actually getting better is a bonus.

When I first started "acne dieting" though, it was stressful. I didn't understand all of it (still don't) I was taking in everyone's advice at once, I was a mess. But as you go along you realize how foods make you feel and you get a better handle on it. It gets easier and it gets better.

Once I started eating differently and living differently, I realized I really don't even care if I still get breakouts. I feel so much better, so positively different, that I can't imagine going back to living the way I used to. Of course, my skin actually getting better is a bonus.

When I first started "acne dieting" though, it was stressful. I didn't understand all of it (still don't) I was taking in everyone's advice at once, I was a mess. But as you go along you realize how foods make you feel and you get a better handle on it. It gets easier and it gets better.

This.

Becoming less critical of myself makes it easier to see the good in other people. In middleschool I always used to have prepared quips if anyone ever openly insulted me. I thought about them so often that when anyone did say anything rude to me and I didn't respond fast enough I'd beat myself up over it for weeeeks. I feel much more at peace with myself at the ripe ol' age of 19 and feel less scared to talk about things that mere embarrassment prevented me from sharing, like acne.

I think most problems in your life that are hard to talk about have a process. First you research the hell out of it until you not only understand but are overwhelmed by every nuance of it. It has to become a big deal, an even bigger deal than you think it is already. You sit with the information for awhile until finally bringing it up casually to a friend, family member, or co-worker, whatever. This is how is becomes externalized. Sitting with it for so long is highly detrimental to your psyche.

In this thread: we talk about our feelings.

A lot of it is your mindset. Frankly, I have a few friends who are trying to make diet changes, getting "down and dirty" when it comes to lifestyle/diet changes, and they hate it, and aren't succeeding either. People see diet/lifestyle as a means of controlling/minimizing some symptom, but I think the proper way to see it is to maximize health. I don't follow my diet/lifestyle specifically for clear skin now, which is how I started and stumbled, but for health.

All this talk of a cure makes me stop and think what the word actually means, and I think it means different things to different people. A lot of people don't see it as a cure because it different from the norm. Is the norm so good though? Adopting diet/lifestyle changes, as well as your success in doing so, depends on your outlook, at least imo.

Now as far as eating out and stuff, I think the general census is that after living healthy, you can "cheat" (though I prefer to look at it as indulging) every now and then. By the time you get clear, you might not even have those same temptations as often. Not just because you've achieved clear skin, but a sense of security when it comes to health.

JJOR000Z.jpg

Diet sure affects acne, but it cannot cure it. Acne is like diabetes! You can live with it, keep it under control ( with diet and meds), but U'll never be cured for 100%. Just becoz diet mainly caused by genetics, it cannot be completely cured by meds, neither by diet. We are all acne prone, becoz of our damn genetics.

But eating healthy and avoiding certain triggers is a smart thing to do.

So far I've cured a few different health conditions that doctors told me there was no cure for--through diet.

And people have cured diabetes. Look up the documentary "simply raw"...

^ But if those diabetics go back to their prior habits, their diabetes will return. so it isn't 'cured.' The same applies to acne.

But yes, if you eat the way humans are meant to eat, you can prevent, reduce and even reverse most health conditions. Including acne.

Okay, you guys are having a different definition of "cured" and of the disease that is there in the first place. I guess it's all in how you think of it but...

^ But if those diabetics go back to their prior habits, their diabetes will return. so it isn't 'cured.'

Okay, you guys are having a different definition of "cured" and of the disease that is there in the first place. I guess it's all in how you think of it but...

^ But if those diabetics go back to their prior habits, their diabetes will return. so it isn't 'cured.'

To me, that's like saying that if a person is on fire and they get put out, then light themselves on fire again--they were never put out.

Having a negative health response to the "habits" you speak of is like being in pain while on fire. Our bodies were never meant to put up with these "habits"... that is an incorrect lifestyle for the human body, and therefore disease occurs.

How? I haven't said they didn't stop being diabetic.

And it's the definition most people think of when they ask this question.

Edited by alternativista

Yeah but that's why we (as a society) need to change our definitions. People want a "cure" that will allow them to continue doing everything the same and that doesn't exist. Doing what people have been doing is why these diseases exist in the first place.

Changing my diet helped my acne tremendously!

It was not easy in the beginning...many bumps and lots of frustrations!! I didn’t think something as simple as my diet would heal my skin or was the cause to 100% of my break-outs. Your organs require organic (naturally occurring) vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to function well.

The link in my siggy takes you to my "healing journey"...shows before and after and everything in between wub.png

Diet kind of "cures" acne. If diet means your avoiding your Food Allergy/Intolerance/Sensitivity than it absolutly works. We are kind of lucky in away, Acne lets us know that a Food Allergy/Intolerance/Sensitivity is wrecking havoc on our bodies, while other ppl don't have the obvious sign until it's to late. Diabetes, Thyroid Disease, Liver, Kidney, the list goes on & on.

Diet kind of "cures" acne. If diet means your avoiding your Food Allergy/Intolerance/Sensitivity than it absolutly works. We are kind of lucky in away, Acne lets us know that a Food Allergy/Intolerance/Sensitivity is wrecking havoc on our bodies, while other ppl don't have the obvious sign until it's to late. Diabetes, Thyroid Disease, Liver, Kidney, the list goes on & on.

It's not just about food sensitivities. It's about the nutrients your body needs to function. And it's about the various processes and reactions foods/meals, such as those with a high GI/GL cause. Diabetes, thyroid, liver, kidney etc, issues aren't caused by food intolerances. The intolerances don't help though as inflammation is at the root of most health conditions.