Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Can Be Done To Help Scars In The "post-'tane Phase"?

Hey,

I was just wondering what can be done to improve the appearance of scars during the "post-'tane phase"?

I have been off of Accutane for almost five months now and I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to help my scars. I know that people say to wait from 6 months to a year or so before trying invasive procedures. Is there anything that I can do right now?

The only thing that I am currently doing is using Retin-A micro gel 0.01%.

Thanks in advance.

im trying 1.0mm derma rolling right now. i make sure that no blood is drawn

I don't think that is a good thing in the post Accutane phase, though I am not a doctor.

I'm in the same situation, gonna see a derm later today, I'll ask her and let you know.

Alright, thanks.

So I paid a visit to Dr. Padma Jain in Toronto, she told me 5 months is enough to start fractional CO2 laser treatment. She made certain bold claims, she said with 3 treatments 4 months apart, I'd see 90% of my scars GONE, and results would be permanent.

She said I could also start on smooth beam laser.

For subcision, she says I'd have to wait till the 9 months mark.

So I paid a visit to Dr. Padma Jain in Toronto, she told me 5 months is enough to start fractional CO2 laser treatment. She made certain bold claims, she said with 3 treatments 4 months apart, I'd see 90% of my scars GONE, and results would be permanent.

what type of scars do u have? SmoothBeam laser does nothing for boxcar/crater type scaring. i did 5 treatments and did nothing.

Smoothbeam is a laser for acne, not scars. just a heads up.

what type of scars do u have? SmoothBeam laser does nothing for boxcar/crater type scaring. i did 5 treatments and did nothing.

I have mostly rolling scars, I am doing research right now, and my conclusion on smoothbeam agrees with your statement.

She took a look at my scars for less than 10 seconds and started pushing laser...so go figure....

Edited by lianghaochen

People react very differently to accutane and the doses used are also different. I think it's important you try to judge yourself whether your skin is still under the effects of accutane. It's still safest to wait the full 6 months to 1 year. At very least you should avoid all invasive procedures untill the skins oil production is pretty much back to normal. Also if doing a small test spot is an option it's definitely a really good idea - even if you haven't had accutane or anything.

I have mostly rolling scars, I am doing research right now, and my conclusion on smoothbeam agrees with your statement.

She took a look at my scars for less than 10 seconds and started pushing laser...so go figure....

I wish i would of known this info before i got the treatments. but i was only charged $100 per session, so no biggie.

TIP: Always Negotiate. a lot of dermatologist just want ur money and lasers are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Avoid the packages they offer u, for example 4 sessions for $1600.

tell them u read reviews and dont feel comfortable spending so much money on something that may not work.

U'd rather pay for each treatment. Another great Tip is to ask how much just to do the areas that have been scarred, cheeks and temples. NOT the whole face.

U can also give a little sob story. tell them how ur scars affect ur social life and dont have a lot of money. U work part-time and u go to college full time.

Smoothbeam Laser Information

Smoothbeam is form of laser skin resurfacing used by dermatologists to treat common skin conditions like acne, and to rejuvenate damaged skin.

• Smoothbeam is most often deployed to reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles and facial lines as well as shallow acne scars. Deeper scars and craters are often unaffected by the treatment.

• Smoothbeam laser is a pulsed-dye laser which is minimally invasive (non-ablative laser).

• Since Smoothbeam laser does not remove a layer of your skin there is often minimal swelling, redness and downtime.

• Pain during the laser treatment session is often described as tiny paper cuts, but the sting is greater on active acne regions. Pre-treatment with numbing creams can reduce pain of a procedure.

• Bruising of the treated area will often be apparent after treatment. These bruises should subside within 7-10 days. Other side-effects associated with laser therapy may include—but may not be limited to—burns or other injuries from the heat, scarring and skin discoloring. Reactivation of a herpes simplex cold sore may occur and your doctor can give you a medication to prevent an outbreak.

Thanks for the tip! most of my scars are rather shallow now, I'm thinking of just getting a subcision and a session of CO2 done, then see how it goes from there.

i already have my mind set on eMatrix laser. not as harsh as Co2 and safe for brown skin. i think its cheaper too, depending on where u go.