Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wekwie

Ok...let's Talk Reflections

Ok so not to break down completely this last year and be able to work ive been using a sony ericson mobile to look at my reflection before going to work,i used the mobile reflection is all types of lighting and my scars and red marks didnt seem to bad, so i finish most of my work and im sitting behind this laptop , i notice a small pocket mirror and decide to tempt my self ( i actually have looked into a mirror in like a year btw which is probably borderline nuts) anyway i was so shocked i looked white as stone, my scars where so prominent and redmarks where so obvious on my chin , i was crestfallen to say the least, i dont know how ive been going out into public all this time..... i dunno either im insane or i look totally different in my mobiles reflection

sigh.. just contacted a plastic surgeon and a dermatologist, will even take a few months off working if it needs be

Edited by wekwie

wow thats crazy to go that long w/o looking in the mirror. I have to look in the mirror to make sure my skin is getting better and nothing abnormal is happening to it.

wow thats crazy to go that long w/o looking in the mirror. I have to look in the mirror to make sure my skin is getting better and nothing abnormal is happening to it.

ya well trust me buddy when youre left with very noticeable rolling and box scars on your cheek and red marks all over ur chin its hard to shrug that off, moreso since my work makes me bump into a good 200 people a day....

Shit man. Sorry to hear it. I'm not much a fan of mirrors either. You've got to realise that what you see in the mirror is not necessarily what others are seeing though. Just saying.

ya well trust me buddy when youre left with very noticeable rolling and box scars on your cheek and red marks all over ur chin its hard to shrug that off, moreso since my work makes me bump into a good 200 people a day....

I can sympathize with you, OP. My official job title has marketing in it, but I'm really just glorified customer service for a high-end company (one that hosts Tiffany's parties and BMW giveaways and the like), a job that's typically associated with physically attractive people (for the record, I started my job before I developed acne). It's definitely pretty hard to go to work and not feel self-conscious about clients staring at my skin, even though I suspect a lot of this is just pure paranoia from my side. I don't have rolling scars, but I do have a bit of active acne left (mostly clogged pores and small comedones) plus shallow boxcars and icepicks... not to mention very severe hyperpigmentation.

When I first got acne, I freaked out so badly I literally removed every single mirror from the house except the ones in my parents' bathrooms. I can't avoid looking in the mirror entirely because I need to do things like, well, brush my teeth/wash my face/groom my eyebrows and the like, but I definitely try to stay away from them as much as possible, plus public restrooms = :( I often feel a wild panic rising in my chest whever I catch sight of myself now, but manage to cope with it by a) closing my eyes, b) redirecting my thoughts as SOON as possible, and c) reminding myself that my worth as a human being is not ultimately reducible to my level of physical attractiveness (or for that matter, unattractiveness). Your looks aren't the only thing about you, and while it's easy to feel like they are because they're the most obvious physical signifier, you can always try to remember to dig deep and remember that you have countless other wonderful qualities/experiences to define you. Have a little sympathy for yourself. Don't be your own biggest bully - this isn't middle school anymore, right?

Have you been doing anything this past year to help with the scars and marks?

I feel for you. Hang in there.

terrible feeling mirrors usually are good to me for the most part except a couple lightings/angles... mobile screen reflection is a mixed bag... worse is playing with reverse cam on iphone

sometimes looks good and sometimes ugh... anyways acne scars sucks... and i've been battling this for a bit so i feel your pain for sure

ps dont avoid mirrors and get on good product like tazorac or whatever to keep your acne improving and skin in general. i wish you good luck