Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amy91

How Do I Maintain Healthy Weight?

I'm one of those pple who try to eat as healthy as possible. Since I've read the crap loads of information on Holistic Forum, I convinced myself that diet has some impact on acne ( thanks to Alternativista's threads). But unfortunately, I've lost 10 lbs becoz of eliminations.

I avoid: dairy, gluten, wheat, grains ( except corn tortillas), sugar, processed and junk food. I added lots of veggies and fruits. I've read also about healthy fats. I've been following this diet since October, but I haven't gained weight. I'm still 110lbs, which is considered underweight with 5'7'' height. I eat lot ot meat, healthy fats and fruits, but they don't make any difference.

I have to deal with snippy remarks about my weight, I'm also having hard time in clothing stores, looking for XS size. My family is ignorant. They will never understand why do I avoid certain foods, and I'm tired of explaining it over and over again. They recommend me to eat breads, pasta and other crap to gain some weight and obtain healthy looking body. But I know that it will cause breakouts. I have no food allergies ( I don't have celiac disease, I'm not lactose intolerant), and my acne always appears right before my period, like a clockwork. But after doing some research about diet and acne relation, I prefer to be on a safe side. Sometimes I find these diets pointless and feel like stoping these eliminations ( especially when I see how pple around me eat crap and their skin is still clearer than mine) and begin eating whatever I want, but then I remember about those pesky pimples.

My biggest concern is maintaining healthy weight. I need to gain at least 10 lbs, but I have no idea how to do it. I've got some advices from people in this forum ( such as drinking homemade fruit juices, adding avocados and etc), but like I said it doesn't help me. I'm naturally skinny ( I'd say bony). And due to fast metabolism, it's more difficult to gain weight. It's genetic as my acne,lol. When I was 13 I forced myself to eat and I gained 15lbs. I was so happy and proud of my new body. I maintained that weight for 5-6 years, then in 18, when my acne got worse, I changed my diet. Since that I've kept losing weight. And now I'm disgusted with my body, While the majority of American population try to lose weight, I'm dreaming about curvy figure.

I'm sure, there is some way to gain weight without consuming gluten and dairy, but seems like I can't find that way. :/ Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by amy91

It sounds like you just want to gain weight period, healthy or not. Usually mixing carbs with fats can put weight on even the skinniest person.

However, if you want to put weight on the RIGHT way, protein shakes and weight training is the way to go.

Hi....i am on the same journey where i have cut out diary, gluten and simple carbs (i stick to quinoa, steel oats and occassionally, brown rice). I have put on a few pounds by adding coconut oil to y smoothies (1 tbs is 120 calories) and using 2 tbs of olive oil on my salads (i sometimes have 5 tablespoons in 1 day). I also eat almond butter and avocados. It has helped me to slowly put on healthy weight. I also have begun to weight train (you can google - upper/lower body exercises at home to show you how to use your body to gain muscle as opposed to fat).

Ignore the negativity- people just don't know that overall health is one of the most invaluable things we have in life. Good Luck and feel free to email me.

I, too, have lost a bit of weight since August due to several factors. August: became lazy about maintaining my 155lb weight, September: became majorly depressed for the first time in my life and lost my appetite, October/November: started my acne/elimination diet, December: did a 3-day juice fast. I'm determined to get the weight back and just mapped out a meal plan for myself.

Breakfast: 1 cup steel-cut oats (600 calories) or 1 cup rolled oats (300 calories)

Snack: Avocado (250 calories)

Lunch: Daily rotation between half a sweet potato (400 calories [400g]) or 1/2 cup quinoa (340 calories) + 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (360 calories)

Snack: Daily rotation between 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, walnuts or almonds (325-400 calories)

Dinner: Daily rotation between 3 chicken breasts (650 calories [400g]), package of ground chicken (560 calories [400g]), package of ground turkey (450 calories [375g]) or 1/2 a salmon fillet (650 calories [472g])

Snack: Depending on if my parents cooked something good for that day, I might make my own second protein source from above, or 1 cup of rolled oats (300 calories).

These are all rough estimates, of course. The highest amount of calories I consume in a day could be 3000, and the lowest 2000, giving me an average of 2500. I hope this is enough to get myself up again. You probably wouldn't need that much since you're female. I believe it was 1600 calories as the target for the average female?

My meals are pretty basic and simple. I also eat vegetables with my lunch and dinner, but of course, they have very little caloric value. The only problem is that my job basically requires me to walk for 8 hours a day, so I dunno how much of those calories I'll be burning. I'll be weighing myself bi-weekly to monitor any progress. Don't fall into the trap of weighing yourself daily! You can only gain so much in a week.

Also, I'm not an expert myself, so if anyone has any tips for me. Oh yeah, I'll also be continuing strength training to build muscle. We'll see how this goes. I'll give myself 3 months.

These are all rough estimates, of course. The highest amount of calories I consume in a day could be 3000, and the lowest 2000, giving me an average of 2500. I hope this is enough to get myself up again. You probably wouldn't need that much since you're female. I believe it was 1600 calories as the target for the average female?

NO. The absolute minimum for healthy weight gain is 2500 calories. If you're a teenager, it should be closer to 3000.

Amy, can you please post your daily diet? You're always asking for ways to gain weight and people are always giving you great suggestions... I just don't understand how you're not gaining weight if you're using all the advice you've already been given.

NO. The absolute minimum for healthy weight gain is 2500 calories. If you're a teenager, it should be closer to 3000.

Amy, can you please post your daily diet? You're always asking for ways to gain weight and people are always giving you great suggestions... I just don't understand how you're not gaining weight if you're using all the advice you've already been given.

Here is my daily diet:

Breakfast: 1 boiled egg or omelette, or oatmeal with berries and 1 banana, Lavash roll ups with turkey

Lunch: Veggie salad: Lettuce, tomatoes, avocados,cucumbers, green beans, bell pepper, no oil, no salt. Chicken breast. Or I make roll ups with corn tortillas.

Snack: Sliced almonds or baby carrots, some fruit

Dinner: Usually I don't cook the dinner, but I always have meat for dinner ( salmon, chicken, beef or turkey, sweet potatoes, spinach, rice, buckwheat) I wish I could find some gluten free pasta

Dessert: Fruit salad and almonds

I've been eating this way since October, and I'm still 110lbs. Like I said, it's really difficult for my body to pack calories. Recently I've found this girl's channel, and I liked her recipes very much. http://www.youtube.c...deo-mustangbase

She made pita bread veggie pizza the other day, I want to try it. Yumm!

And thanks everyone for your responses.

Edited by amy91

Here is my daily diet:

Breakfast: 1 boiled egg or omelette, or oatmeal with berries and 1 banana, Lavash roll ups with turkey

Lunch: Veggie salad: Lettuce, tomatoes, avocados,cucumbers, green beans, bell pepper, no oil, no salt. Chicken breast. Or I make roll ups with corn tortillas.

Snack: Sliced almonds or baby carrots, some fruit

Dinner: Usually I don't cook the dinner, but I always have meat for dinner ( salmon, chicken, beef or turkey, sweet potatoes, spinach, rice, buckwheat) I wish I could find some gluten free pasta

Dessert: Fruit salad and almonds

I've been eating this way since October, and I'm still 110lbs. Like I said, it's really difficult for my body to pack calories. Recently I've found this girl's channel, and I liked her recipes very much. http://www.youtube.c...deo-mustangbase

She made pita bread veggie pizza the other day, I want to try it. Yumm!

And thanks everyone for your responses.

How much of those foods are you eating? Like, how many lavash breads or corn tortillas? How much of each vegetable in your lunch? How much chicken or other meat (2 oz? 3 oz?) How much oatmeal (1/2 cup? 1 cup?) How many almonds and fruits, and what kind of fruit exactly? Different fruits have different calorie counts.

I'm one of those pple who try to eat as healthy as possible. Since I've read the crap loads of information on Holistic Forum, I convinced myself that diet has some impact on acne ( thanks to Alternativista's threads). But unfortunately, I've lost 10 lbs becoz of eliminations.

I avoid: dairy, gluten, wheat, grains ( except corn tortillas), sugar, processed and junk food. I added lots of veggies and fruits. I've read also about healthy fats. I've been following this diet since October, but I haven't gained weight. I'm still 110lbs, which is considered underweight with 5'7'' height. I eat lot ot meat, healthy fats and fruits, but they don't make any difference.

I have to deal with snippy remarks about my weight, I'm also having hard time in clothing stores, looking for XS size. My family is ignorant. They will never understand why do I avoid certain foods, and I'm tired of explaining it over and over again. They recommend me to eat breads, pasta and other crap to gain some weight and obtain healthy looking body. But I know that it will cause breakouts. I have no food allergies ( I don't have celiac disease, I'm not lactose intolerant), and my acne always appears right before my period, like a clockwork. But after doing some research about diet and acne relation, I prefer to be on a safe side. Sometimes I find these diets pointless and feel like stoping these eliminations ( especially when I see how pple around me eat crap and their skin is still clearer than mine) and begin eating whatever I want, but then I remember about those pesky pimples.

My biggest concern is maintaining healthy weight. I need to gain at least 10 lbs, but I have no idea how to do it. I've got some advices from people in this forum ( such as drinking homemade fruit juices, adding avocados and etc), but like I said it doesn't help me. I'm naturally skinny ( I'd say bony). And due to fast metabolism, it's more difficult to gain weight. It's genetic as my acne,lol. When I was 13 I forced myself to eat and I gained 15lbs. I was so happy and proud of my new body. I maintained that weight for 5-6 years, then in 18, when my acne got worse, I changed my diet. Since that I've kept losing weight. And now I'm disgusted with my body, While the majority of American population try to lose weight, I'm dreaming about curvy figure.

I'm sure, there is some way to gain weight without consuming gluten and dairy, but seems like I can't find that way. :/ Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was the same way, I am naturally pretty skinny and it was harder for me to gain weight, the only thing that did it was weight training and tons of protein. However, in my experience it just takes more food consumption, you will gain weight, you just need to triple your food intake. It like you need to always eat, specially if you want to do this in a healthy way. You can do this faster with an "unhealthier" diet.

Actually I have some apetite problems as well, that is why I can't eat large quantities of meals. Whenever I overload my plate I feel like puking,lol. Didn't mean to gross u guys out.

I'd eat 2-3 lavash or corn tortillas roll ups, 1 cup of oatmeal, handful of almonds, 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 chicken breast. I'm supposed to eat more, I know, but I don't feel like eating more.

Edited by amy91

Actually I have some apetite problems as well, that is why I can't eat large quantities of meals. Whenever I overload my plate I feel like puking,lol. Didn't mean to gross u guys out.

I'd eat 2-3 lavash or corn tortillas roll ups, 1 cup of oatmeal, handful of almonds, 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 chicken breast. I'm supposed to eat more, I know, but I don't feel like eating more.

Well... to be honest, the plain truth is that you have to eat more to gain weight.

I'm sorry you don't feel like eating more. But if you're not going to eat more, you're not going to gain weight. So stop asking how you can somehow magically gain weight without eating. Its NOT going to happen.

Eat more, or accept being bony. Those are your choices. Sorry for being blunt.

I am having the same problem with my acne diet. I've been struggling to put on weight but it hasn't really been working very well! I've gained 2 pounds though in the past 2 weeks, I just keep forcing myself to eat more, especially fruits. I went from an already lean 125 pounds to 110 in about two months, at a height of just over 5'7". Nothing fits! The worst. You should try adding some "safe" nuts in moderation. Macadamias and almonds seem generally agreed upon.

Your diet looks really healthy to me. You definitely don't look to be starving, and you're only slightly underweight. Some people are just naturally very thin, and your weight could be your "healthy weight." I would say the only reason to gain weight would be to add muscle. Are you doing any exercises to help build muscle? Weight-training and exercises that engage fast-twitch muscles will help build some bulk, such as tabata or HIIT.

You're eating high-nutrient foods, so it may be that you're getting all the nutrition you need, and therefore, don't have a large appetite. How much you should be eating also has much to do with how much you're exercising. Your body should let you know how much you need to eat - if you're working out, your appetite should naturally go up as well.

With that said, are you opposed to beans? They are a great source of protein, and too many beans will put on weight, as they are a starch. Focus on starches for gaining weight, like sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, etc. I'm surprised you're not gaining from all the corn tortillas. Btw, it's really hard to find corn these days that hasn't been tainted by GMO corn - I would advise not eating them every day. Have you tried nut butters? Almond butter is great with a little cocoa, cinnamon, honey and some raw oats sprinkled in!

Have you checked out green smoothies? They can help balance out weight problems - whether you're needing to lose or gain, and they're a quick and easy way to get in some extra fruit, which will help with weight gain. They're also amazing for your skin.

Honestly, I think people like to pick at healthy, skinny people because it makes them feel better about not being healthy and skinny themselves! When you're eating healthfully, being small is a natural result of that. Isn't being healthy more important than being the perfect weight or shape? Would you really want to be less healthy by putting on extra fat you don't need?

My advice? Enjoy feeling healthy and thin, and feel thankful that you're able to be that. For so many, eating healthfully is a real challenge... but you're doing great!

I am having the same problem with my acne diet. I've been struggling to put on weight but it hasn't really been working very well! I've gained 2 pounds though in the past 2 weeks, I just keep forcing myself to eat more, especially fruits. I went from an already lean 125 pounds to 110 in about two months, at a height of just over 5'7". Nothing fits! The worst. You should try adding some "safe" nuts in moderation. Macadamias and almonds seem generally agreed upon.

Yea, I guess I need to eat more, but still, nuts and fruits can't provide enough calories.

Definitely seconding ABG Fairy's wonderful advice - going by BMI categories (which seems to be what you're doing here) is often a very counterproductive measure, since BMI is by definition an index, not a definitive answer to the question of whether you're too this or too that (professional athletes for example, frequently fall into the "obese" category because of all their muscle). Some people are naturally thin (others are naturally fat) and you seem to be one of those people, so as long as you feel healthy and energized by your diet (which looks very healthy to me) I'd agree that you don't necessarily need to fix it in order to get to a "healthy" weight. If your concern on the other hand is purely aesthetic, then can I just say that the "ideal" hourglassy feminine body is a dangerously unattainable one for most and that a lot of women end up doing damage to both their physical bodies and self-esteem while trying to achieve it? (One of my least favourite slogans is "real women have curves," because, um, just because somebody is thin does NOT mean they can't be a "real woman" - it's super rude.) You sound perfectly beautiful the way you are. If the clothes don't fit, then that's the retailers' fault for not accommodating your body correctly, not your fault for failing to fit into a bigger size.

Having said all that, what did you end up doing with the avocados? Those are pure fat (and good fat) so I think that if you have at least 2 a day, you might end up seeing a weight gain. (That, and you could always drizzle lots of honey onto things.) On top of that, sometimes diets take time to work - I personally have quite a slow metabolism, so it'll usually be months before my eating habits actually end up impacting my body in a noticeable way.

Hotburrito,

Thank you, and your post is really great as well! Good point about the slogan you brought up, and you could also say "just because somebody is healthy doesn't mean they can't be a real woman!"

Amy91,

Where do you shop that you can't find skinny clothes? I see super tiny sizes in junior sections all the time. Also, for jeans, pants, etc, you can buy girls' sizes if you're having a hard time in the juniors section.

One thing I forgot to mention, coconut oil has super thermogenic effects - it will actually help with weight loss. Again though, I recommend focusing on putting on more muscle. Building up your shoulder muscles and around your hips will help with a more hourglass figure... honestly though, very few women have a perfect hourglass figure, and that goes for models, and actresses as well. There's always room for improvement, but try to embrace and enjoy what you have. :)

Hotburrito,

Thank you, and your post is really great as well! Good point about the slogan you brought up, and you could also say "just because somebody is healthy doesn't mean they can't be a real woman!"

Aww, likewise. And yes, honestly, for me at least all that's necessary for somebody to be a "real woman" is for that person to identify as such - whether they're thin, fat, muscular, gay, straight, bi, trans, whatever. The "real women have curves" campaign, while well-intentioned, is ultimately damaging to both skinny and curvy girls alike. Sometimes it really pisses me off that Hollywood acts like there are only two viable types of female bodies - the Kim Kardashian/Christina Hendricks type, or the stick-thin model type. In reality, people come in all different shapes and sizes and I think that's pretty amazing - I wish we could celebrate that more.

I want to gain weight becoz I don't like my skinny arms and legs. And my waist is too thin I guess. And another problem ( the worst). Becoz my breast size is inappropriately big, this whole weight loss process caused them to lose their elasticity. I look kinda weird with skinny body and full breasts. I guess those desirable 10lbs will balance things out.

Edited by amy91

I want to gain weight becoz I don't like my skinny arms and legs. And my waist is too thin I guess. And another problem ( the worst). Becoz my breast size is inappropriately big, this whole weight loss process caused them to lose their elasticity. I look kinda weird with skinny body and full breasts. I guess those desirable 10lbs will balance things out.

You probably already know this, but you have a body type a lot of women would probably literally kill for (and one I am afraid at least some women have probably died for). Which is not to say that you wanting a different body type is illegitimate or whatever because everybody has different wants and needs, but still. It sort of reminds me of that thing where if you're curly-haired and go to the salon to get your hair done for an event or whatever, they often straighten it... and if you're straight-haired, then they curl it. It's like geez, we can never win :P Good luck with your goals either way, though!

hahaaaaaa oh my, I've been in the same situation my entire life, 5'10.5" 130 pounds here, model slim body, surrounded by curvaceous friends my whole life. I was trying to gain weight these past few months, doing things like eating cereal before bedtime, or adding an extra slice of bread to any sandwich (3 slices, all peanutbuttered up), eating extra calorie fruits, always going for seconds of dinner...my appetite is so small though I always feel exhausted by the end of the day, it takes so much work for me to eat so many calories......and in the end...

I'm the same weight. If not LIGHTER! lol!

I was talking to some people about this, and they were recommending me to take "meal replacement drinks", because I was so eager to gain weight and eating anything in sight....it's basically just a drink with empty calories to aid the weight gain process....I don't know if I'll take it but it's something to consider..

Amy91, I'd suggest u to browsing healthy weight gain methods in Google. You can also follow cooking/recipe blogs, there are tons of them. And eat more! lol

And I have 2 questions to you guys. Since dairy and gluten are the most common acne triggers, I avoid them at all.

1. But, Is it possible for an individual to be allergic to dairy, but have gluten or wheat without any problems? And the other way around. I mean, do these food allergies always go together or u might have just one intolerance?

2. Should you still avoid all grains and dairy products, even if you don't have celiac disease or you're not lactose intolerant?

Amy91,

I think you can reach your goal of gaining a little more, whether a little fat or muscle (and don't forget that green smoothies are weight stabilizing). Also, I have definitely read of things that help with skin tightening. There's a man on YouTube that says using a Cellerciser (a rebounder/mini-trampoline) totally tightened his skin after weight loss. I have heard of other skin-tightening benefits related to rebounding elsewhere too. Skin brushing is supposed to help, though be careful brushing your chest, as it's more sensitive. And, I'm a fan of Dr. Pickart, the original developer of copper peptides. You might check out this formula - I don't know anyone who's tried it, but I have come across it, and there are message boards at his website that might have testimonies: http://store.reverseskinaging.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=52

Good luck! :)

Amy91, I'd suggest u to browsing healthy weight gain methods in Google. You can also follow cooking/recipe blogs, there are tons of them. And eat more! lol

And I have 2 questions to you guys. Since dairy and gluten are the most common acne triggers, I avoid them at all.

1. But, Is it possible for an individual to be allergic to dairy, but have gluten or wheat without any problems? And the other way around. I mean, do these food allergies always go together or u might have just one intolerance?

2. Should you still avoid all grains and dairy products, even if you don't have celiac disease or you're not lactose intolerant?

I can't tolerate dairy at all, but gluten and wheat are fine for me. I don't eat any sort of dairy because not only does it cause problems with my face, but it also gives me bellyaches and other unpleasant intestinal symptoms. However, I can eat an entire loaf of bread without any problem.

Yes, you may have dairy intolerance, but your body might accept wheat, but gluten-never. Gluten is bad for everyone, even for pple who have no probs with their skin. Just avoid it, and make sure U buy everything gluten free. If I were you, I'd avoid dairy and gluten .