Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jcd85

Just Finished Course, Could Really Use Some Encouragement, Very Upset

Let me just start by saying that, prior to my accutane course, I had the absolute oiliest skin of anyone I've ever seen in person in my life. Within 20 minutes of showering, my face would be an oil slick again. I tried everything- and I mean EVERYTHING-- nothing topical works, nothing involving my skin care routine works, no diet changes work, period. I am just a person with very large pores and extremely oily skin that cannot be maintained any other way.

Fast forward to accutane.. after dealing with persistent, cystic acne for 10 years and uncontrollable oil production, and exhausting every single resource, I was put on accutane. It has been the best 5 months of my life. For the first time, I haven't had to even think about my face or worry with it at all. My face is matte ALL the time, the way normal people's skin looks. I've had confidence I never knew I could have and my life has been so dramatically improved that I cannot explain it.

Last week, I took my last accutane pill, and my course is finished. I am absolutely devastated. I know from reading this forum that most people have their oil return, especially people who were extremely oily before, and I can't even enjoy my skin right now- even though it's still fine- for fear of what is coming. I am obsessively looking in the mirror and checking to see what my face looks like. I didn't experience any accutane-related depression, but coming OFF accutane is what's depressing for me, because it's worked so well and I'm so paranoid about the future. If it were up to me, I would stay on accutane forever. My dermatologist dose not do repeat courses or long-term courses, none of that.. all or nothing, 1 time.

Anyhow, I just wish someone could give me some hope or encouragement and tell me that they were just like me, wish disgustingly oily skin 24-7, and were cured by accutane for GOOD, never to become oily again. I know you can't do that, though. I'm just so upset :( I loved accutane so much and I dread the thought of going back to a life of people constantly making comments about my greasy skin and feeling disgusting and dirty all the time.....

hey there. yes while it seems that for most people some oil returns, it usually isnt to the same extent pre tane. same with acne severity if it does come back. what dose were you on?

it might be worth starting with a topical regime now while your skin is still in good shape. perhaps with a topical retinoid as you wont go through the initial purging having just finished tane.

IF things do take a dive somewhere along the line you may need a second course, some people do. im on my second course now. but ive had 4 years of good skin. perhaps looking around for a different derm if need be would be wise if you think you need another go in the future.

chances are though, you wont. enjoy your skin. the stats for tane are pretty impressive. relax, take care of your skin, and keep an eye on things.

Thank you. I was on 80mg (40 twice a day) for the full 5 months. From reading this board, I see that's considered high, but this is the regimen they use on every patient and maintain that they've had great results this way. I didn't have any negative side effects, aside from the usual minor things, and have been clear since the 3rd week.

Topical retinoids make my skin very red and flaky, almost burn-like, but I may have to try going back to something like that.

Thanks for your reply and encouragement

yeah 5 months of 80mg a day is a pretty high dose. and that you cleared up so quick is a good sign i think. if a topical retinoid isnt the way to go for you maybe look into a different topical regime. generally people comment that after tane their skin responds better to topicals than pre-tane. i guess its about being proactive about it and not just waiting to breakout before doing something. i thought after my first course that would be it and i wouldnt need to do anything to take care of my skin. and for 4 years thats pretty much how it was, but hasnt quite lasted.

I am on 2nd course now and faced the similar issue. But I was only on 40mg for 3 months so half a dose and probably that's why I started to break out and the oil came back again. I know how it feels , I know it feels to see your skin super oily unlike others. This is indeed depressing.

But have faith. Get in to the habit of good regime and keep your skin clear off oil , don't watch it too much either. I have heard that jojoba oil is good for skin , i know it sounds silly but the way it works is balances your skin oil by tricking your glands that you have got oil on your face already and the glands won't produce more oil. You can give it a go.

Good luck

Thank you. I was on 80mg (40 twice a day) for the full 5 months. From reading this board, I see that's considered high, but this is the regimen they use on every patient and maintain that they've had great results this way. I didn't have any negative side effects, aside from the usual minor things, and have been clear since the 3rd week.

Topical retinoids make my skin very red and flaky, almost burn-like, but I may have to try going back to something like that.

Thanks for your reply and encouragement

I have oily skin also, mostly in my T-zone and I'm currently on the same dose of accutane. My acne was persistant mild/moderate - I always had at least 2-3 blemishes at a time and a massive 20+ active breakout at least 4 times a year. My derm also said they put everyone on the same dosage from the start, 80mg/day for 5 months and have had great success so hopefully you and I are no exception. I'm 3 days into month 2 and I am loving not having oil production but also am afraid of when it returns! I'd be interested to hear how your skin changes, if at all, over the next few months. Keep us posted.

Guest GoHorns

There is evidence of Accutane over time and maybe a few courses showing that it will shrink the pores and in some cases close some of them for good. I don't recall how soon it was after the last time I was on Accutane that the severe oilyness came back but it was not as bad as before but it does come back.

Also forgot to mention Kudos to your derm for getting you on the 80mg a day I see too many people taking too low of a dose to do anything but slow up the process, waste your money and keep from clearing up sooner.

There is evidence of Accutane over time and maybe a few courses showing that it will shrink the pores and in some cases close some of them for good. I don't recall how soon it was after the last time I was on Accutane that the severe oilyness came back but it was not as bad as before but it does come back.

When people say this-- that it doesn't come back as badly as it was before-- what does that really mean? That your skin is more like a normal person's skin, which has some oil toward the end of the day, etc., or just a slightly milder version of what you had before, which may still be extremely excessive oil production, if you were super oily before?

I have oily skin also, mostly in my T-zone and I'm currently on the same dose of accutane. My acne was persistant mild/moderate - I always had at least 2-3 blemishes at a time and a massive 20+ active breakout at least 4 times a year. My derm also said they put everyone on the same dosage from the start, 80mg/day for 5 months and have had great success so hopefully you and I are no exception. I'm 3 days into month 2 and I am loving not having oil production but also am afraid of when it returns! I'd be interested to hear how your skin changes, if at all, over the next few months. Keep us posted.

I will definitely keep you guys posted. I haven't been able to find much on here regarding this.. I mean, people will come back and say "I'm oily again!" and whatnot, but I've never really seen anyone track it over time after ending their course to see when and how badly it occurs, and how it compares to their skin pre-accutane. It doesn't help that I've never met anyone with skin as oily as mine so it's hard for anyone to give me advice!

I will say this.. So far, 1.5wk off accutane, I'm not oily even though I can tell that my pores are opening back up. I can tell because I had some very deep, scarred pores on my nose that shrunk down while I was on accutane to the point that they were almost invisible under makeup, and now they have opened back up and are visible again. I can deal with the scars and the large pores better than the oil, to be honest I'd rather have the acne come back than the oil come back. At least people with acne who have dry skin can cover it with makeup to some degree.. When you produce THAT much oil, you can't cover anything up because makeup won't stay on your face.

Anyway, I'm staying optimistic!

Edit: PS I just realized my profile says 'male'-- no clue why-- that's incorrect so just thought I'd throw that out there, considering I was just talking about makeup.

:)

Edited by jcd85
Guest GoHorns

I was super oily but after the affects of accutane the oilyness did come back bad but not as bad before definately not normal oil production so I would say I was still pretty oily my face would look like I was sweating after a few hours of washing my face.

Honestly I would just now worry about it your clear and dry go enjoy life keep worrying about this and you may have a stress related breakout, seriously quit worrying you have way more to worry about then the what ifs!!!

Edited by GoHorns

I was super oily but after the affects of accutane the oilyness did come back bad but not as bad before definately not normal oil production so I would say I was still pretty oily my face would look like I was sweating after a few hours of washing my face.

Honestly I would just now worry about it your clear and dry go enjoy life keep worrying about this and you may have a stress related breakout, seriously quit worrying you have way more to worry about then the what ifs!!!

You're very right. I needed to hear this! Thanks